505 over 2.4c?

Ren H

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of putting together a single task dedicated computer (video capture, not htpc) using some spare parts, (cpu, ram, video)
I've got a choice between:

P4 2.4c
Asus P4R800-VM
- spare on hand mobo
2*512 Infineon/Samsung PC3200
7600gt agp

Pentium 505 2.6
Asrock G965M-S
- would have to buy mobo ~ $50
2*1g Corsair ddr2-6400
7600gt PCI-e

Am I going to see much of an improvement with the 505 and ddr2/pci-e or should I just skip it and use the 2.4? (keeping in mind I could run both chips at about the same bus/speed, I think...)

I'm geussing the 505 would benefit from the extra ram bandwidth, but I don't know much about Intel

Last edited:
Well, while memory bandwidth might not matter all that much, memory amount can, and possibly will, influence video capture performance, since it will be the main buffer. If something ties up the HDD for a while, 2GB of RAM will give you better headroom than 1GB before video capture will start to get choppy.

Also, the 505 has a faster FSB, which might give you a (small) edge in terms of raw performance. Btw, is there any special reason to be using a dedicated card that powerful? If it weren't for the fact that the IGP "steals" system RAM, you might get away with it, no?

So, in short, I'd go for the second option. But, if you already have all that hardware, want to go the "safe" way (safe as in future-proof a bit) AND can probably sell a couple of items, there is a very interesting CPU+mobo combo I just love: E3x00+ASRock G31M-GS, meaning a 2.4GHz+ 45nm dual core CPU, a stable motherboard, a pair that sips power AND a price that starts around €80.

Cheers.

Miguel

Actually, at stock speeds, the 505 runs at a slower FSB speed than your current 2.4c (533MHz versus 800MHz effective; 133MHz versus 200MHz actual). This means that you would have to overclock the 505 to 4.0 GHz (since the lower Intel NetBurst processors all have locked multipliers) in order to match the same FSB speed as your current 2.4c. And very few LGA775 motherboards work well with such a high degree of an overclock with such a relatively low-specced CPU.

Hmm, the link to the 2.4GHz P4 lists it as a 400MHz FSB part, NOT 800MHz). But if in fact it's the 800MHz FSB variant, it might be slightly faster than the 505, and worth considering.

However, the extra GB of RAM does still make sense for me...

Cheers.

Miguel

Honestly, get that Asrock mobo and use that 505 in there for a little while. Down the road, pick up an E2x00 or something cheap off the forums and call it a day. Just a though

Another vote for getting the ASRock board and using the 505.

Drop the multiplier down on the 505 and raise the bus speed up to 800Mhz. CPU *should* take the clocks just fine. YMMV but I can say from first-hand experience it's always worked in every instance I've implemented.

Drop the multiplier down on the 505 and raise the bus speed up to 800Mhz.
While the CPU might handle the overclock (most P4s from the 505 era were 800MHz parts, after all), do keep in mind that G965 is highly frowned upon as an overclocking-friendly chipset, thanks to the IGP core.

P965 would be a better choice for that route, I believe.

Cheers.

Miguel

"Locked Multiplyer"... There's my answer.

Seems in my original post, edited out, I made a mistake. :eek: (It's been a while)
The 2.4c is a 400 part but I've run it at 500 on a different board.

A locked multiplyer could be a serious problem, especially when on this side of the ocean availability of Asrock boards is limited.
(Asrock being my choice due to price/cpu support).

Running the 505 @ 4ghz isn't realistic for the intended scenario unless there's another board close to the price I can get. (uATX)

- So I'm probably looking at running the 505 @ 2.6/533 vs. 2.4c @ 3.0/500.

memory amount can, and possibly will, influence video capture performance, since it will be the main buffer
Also the 505 has 1m L2 versus 512 for the 2.4c.
The L2 will be used as buffer like the ram, correct?

Looks like the 505 is the way to go,
Thanks for the answers!

And kudos to Asrock for supporting the old chips on new hardware, now if only this board (939 on 785G) were available here!

"Locked Multiplyer"... There's my answer.
It has been a few years since I've heard of CPUs with locked multipliers on either direction. Heh, it has been a while indeed...

Anyway, the locked multiplier will most likely limit OC capabilities, especially since S478 motherboards are not very OC-friendly. Though 100MHz increase on the FSB is not that bad, considering the lack of MCH strap control and whatnot on S478 boards...

Running the 505 @ 4ghz isn't realistic for the intended scenario unless there's another board close to the price I can get. (uATX)
At this point in time, it's harder and harder to find ANY motherboard that supports 533MHz parts (though occasionally even P3x/G3x and P4x/G4x series seem to support them unofficially). Especially in that form factor and with plenty of OC capabilities. Doesn't seem feasible.

Also the 505 has 1m L2 versus 512 for the 2.4c.
The L2 will be used as buffer like the ram, correct?
The L1 and L2 cache memory store frequently used commands and data. The first thing a CPU does when it needs data is looking for it on the L1 and L2 caches (and L3, if available). Only if it's not found there will it issue a RAM request for the data.

So, in short, yes, it will also work as a buffer. In the C2D era, cache was responsible for about 10-15% of CPU performance (a 1MB L2 C2D was about 10 to 15% slower than a same-speed, same FSB, 2MB L2 part, and this one would be about 10 to 15% slower than a same-speed, same FSB 4MB L2 part), but those CPUs used a shared L2 cache, I don't know how much extra cache influenced Netburst-based chips in terms of performance...

Same thing for FSB speeds. C2Ds based on faster FSB speeds (1333MHz vs. 1066MHz) were about 5 to 10% faster than slower-FBS parts (provided CPU speed stayed constant, of course).

Cheers, and good luck.

Miguel

Back