512mb 7800 GTX's

Captain Kirk

Limp Gawd
OK, so I'm crazy. I've decided I've got to have a 512mb 7800 GTX card. Preferably two, so I can do SLi.

My insistence aside, I'm in a bit of a quandry. My other hardware will be arriving soon, and I'm short the video card(s). Newegg keeps changing the ETA date for BFG 7800 GTX 512mb. A search on Newegg for 512mb 7800 cards yields only the ASUS EN7800GT. Yet, when I look at the card, I can't but help question it's quality. Not to mention, it's not a GTX...

Am I insane? Should I just get two BFG 7800 GTX 256mb's? Wait for the 512's? Buy the ASUS cards?

Your advice, as always is greatly appreciated :).

That ASUS is completely different from a 512GTX. Its the a Dual 7800GT - basically two 256MB 7800GTs in SLI on one PCB. It is arguably the fastest single card currently, however it offers few benefits in SLI, because the drivers support isnt there for in effect 4-card SLI.

Good freaking lord!!! that thing plugs into the power outlet on your wall :eek:

RavenD said:
That ASUS is completely different from a 512GTX. Its the a Dual 7800GT - basically two 256MB 7800GTs in SLI on one PCB. It is arguably the fastest single card currently, however it offers few benefits in SLI, because the drivers support isnt there for in effect 4-card SLI.
So which give a better "bang," two 256mb 7800 GTX's in SLi, or one ASUS EN7800GT? Some reviews of the ASUS made it seem like godlike, while others considered it over-priced/hyped in comparison to other solutions.

Captain Kirk said:
OK, so I'm crazy. I've decided I've got to have a 512mb 7800 GTX card. Preferably two, so I can do SLi.

My insistence aside, I'm in a bit of a quandry. My other hardware will be arriving soon, and I'm short the video card(s). Newegg keeps changing the ETA date for BFG 7800 GTX 512mb. A search on Newegg for 512mb 7800 cards yields only the ASUS EN7800GT. Yet, when I look at the card, I can't but help question it's quality. Not to mention, it's not a GTX...

Am I insane? Should I just get two BFG 7800 GTX 256mb's? Wait for the 512's? Buy the ASUS cards?

Your advice, as always is greatly appreciated :).

Captain..Scotty here get the 512mb GTX or wait for the 7900 anything else and you won't be happy I take it.

Back