512MB 7800 Ultra a possibility?

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
With R520 now being confirmed with 512mb RAM options at or near launch, do you think Nvidia will use this as an "excuse" to release a 512mb 7800 card with faster reference clocks than the 7800GTX?

tranCendenZ said:
With R520 now being confirmed with 512mb RAM options at or near launch, do you think Nvidia will use this as an "excuse" to release a 512mb 7800 card with faster reference clocks than the 7800GTX?
The R520 is going to be 512MB? Holy cow...What is the MSRP ? Does anyone know? I wouldn't be surprised if these suckers sold for a grip load of cash. Ouch my pockets:(

This "Ultra" of a 7800 will never be here. The reason being is that nVidia just doesnt have to do that. nVidia allready does have a greater marketshare for the enthusiast and they wont have to have an Ultra when their current product is only about 15% slower.

Oh, and then R520 is 256mb unless you get the XT, which is 512mb, but then again, no game today takes advantage of the 256mb versions of videocards.

Endurancevm said:
This "Ultra" of a 7800 will never be here. The reason being is that nVidia just doesnt have to do that. nVidia allready does have a greater marketshare for the enthusiast and they wont have to have an Ultra when their current product is only about 15% slower.

Oh, and then R520 is 256mb unless you get the XT, which is 512mb, but then again, no game today takes advantage of the 256mb versions of videocards.

I dunno about that. Video card ram has always been identified with how fast the card is, even when it makes little to no performance difference in reality (especially with the unknowing public). In the past, whenever ATI released a card with higher memory Nvidia followed suit and vice versa - there was even a limited run 512mb 6800 Ultra, 256mb FX 5200 cards, etc.

Endurancevm said:

Are you kidding? Even Unreal 2003 used up to 200mb of video ram

Endurancevm said:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2532

XT and the XL

As for No game takes advantage of 256...*points to Doom3 and games with the engine*

I'm sure FEAR, Elderscrolls, Stalker, Namanco Classics, and a few othe rgames coming down the road could use it.

If Nvidia doesn't release a 512mb card at some point during the 7800's life cycle, I will be very surprised. I don't think its unreasonable to assume that, within the next year or so, 512mb will become the standard for the high end pieces. I have no doubt that games will be taking advantage of it by then, as some games already do and software isn't getting less memory intensive. The 7800 will still be a viable gpu during this time frame, so a 512mb card would make sense. As for increased clock speed - it never hurts and is probably just as likely as the memory increases. Will the clock speed and memory increases appear on the same card? Dunno. Will they call the thing "Ultra?" Dunno. Will $$ be a limiting factor? Dunno.

Would it ever be possible to do SLI with two cards at different RAM amounts? like a 256 and a 512?

Mnx4 said:
Would it ever be possible to do SLI with two cards at different RAM amounts? like a 256 and a 512?

Nah, you can't even use different BIOS revisions nevermind RAM amounts...

Endurancevm said:

Everquest 2 can take full advantage of the newer and faster 512mb video cards.

tranCendenZ said:
You should be able to once we get some official 80.xx drivers. I think that includes different ram configs as well.

Vildayyan2003 said:
Everquest 2 can take full advantage of the newer and faster 512mb video cards.

no it cant

whoami said:
The R520 is going to be 512MB? Holy cow...What is the MSRP ? Does anyone know? I wouldn't be surprised if these suckers sold for a grip load of cash. Ouch my pockets:(

600 dollars for the XT, which will be 600-650MHz Core, 1400MHz (rated for 1600) 512mb
500 dollars for the XL, which will be 550-600MHz Core, 1300MHz 512mb

prices are actually excellent. Those are MSRP of course, venders could varry.

i wish they made every video card in AGP and PCI-Express so us people on AGP8x can get a good gpu cuz theres not a single game that can saturate the AGP Bus.

tranCendenZ said:
actually its been said that in nvidias 80.xx drivers that you will be able to sli cards of different manufacturers(different bios's obviuosly) and cards that have different sizes of video ram(most likely only utilizing the lower amount).

tranCendenZ said:

latest drivers say other wise hell you could use a BFG and eVGA with the new drivers

If it were my choice I would get the XL, so what if it doesnt have the onboard temp sensor, its the same thing as the XT, but lower clocked....much better value. Again, this all depends on REAL benchmarks that will be versus the 7800 and prove that its faster. Otherwise, I would just get a 7800GT.

Isnt there a 512MB 7800GTX out there somewhere. I swear I saw somewhere that some manufacteur developed on.

Fragger said:
i wish they made every video card in AGP and PCI-Express so us people on AGP8x can get a good gpu cuz theres not a single game that can saturate the AGP Bus.

AGP is being phased out and theres no turning back.
I wouldn't be surprised if the X8XX and 6XXX are the last of the AGP cards.

Lazy_Moron said:
Isnt there a 512MB 7800GTX out there somewhere. I swear I saw somewhere that some manufacteur developed on.
I'm pretty sure the only G70-based cards out there with 512MB memory are the Quadro FX 4500 workstation versions. The current absence of a 512MB 7800GTX is why I think NV are keeping it for launch around the same time as the R520. Maybe we'll see higher clocks and that same fancy cooler the FX4500 has too?

We're bound to see something new from them - I doubt NV will miss an opportunity to spoil ATi's party. Maybe they'll just launch the Release 80 drivers and dual-core support to boost their existing products above the new ones from ATi?

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i think they will make a 512 version

there's enough room on the pcb for it thats for sure

I think so too considering that there are already blank spots on the 7800's with solder points for more ram chips :p

coz said:
I'm pretty sure the only G70-based cards out there with 512MB memory are the Quadro FX 4500 workstation versions. The current absence of a 512MB 7800GTX is why I think NV are keeping it for launch around the same time as the R520. Maybe we'll see higher clocks and that same fancy cooler the FX4500 has too?

We're bound to see something new from them - I doubt NV will miss an opportunity to spoil ATi's party. Maybe they'll just launch the Release 80 drivers and dual-core support to boost their existing products above the new ones from ATi?

But nVidia has already stated that they will not be making a 7800GTX-Ultra. So we can count that out right there. Though I agree with you that come time for the X1800 to hit the market you will see something jump out of the NV bag.

Lazy_Moron said:
The Quadro FX 4500 and 4400 have 512MB of memory. They are basically a workstation 7800.

(off topic sweet im no loger a noob :D)

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i think they will make a 512 version

there's enough room on the pcb for it thats for sure

And if there isn't god know they well make the PCB bigger. HEHEHE

"nVidia is currently creating a new extra long case and Motherboard with support bracing for the new 7800GTX-SFL (super fucking long) card. The card comes in at a huge 28 inches long. And has a double decker approach to store the over 4 gigs of DDR5 Ram.

The President of nVidia had this to say to ATI...
"HAHAHA Try to top us now fuckers!"

At a price of over $60,000 nVidia only needs to sell 20 a year to stay in business.

edit: fixed 3rd grader spelling mistakes....

Majin said:
"nVidia is currently creating a new extra long case, Motherboard with support bracing for the new 7800GTX-SFL (super fucking long) card. The card come in at a hugh 28 inches long. And has a double decker aproch to store the over 4 gigs of DDR5 Ram.
The President of nVidia had this to say to ATI

At a price of over $60,000 nVidia only needs to sell 20 a year to stay in business.

That would not surprise me at all. :p

Majin said:
"nVidia is currently creating a new extra long case, Motherboard with support bracing for the new 7800GTX-SFL (super fucking long) card. The card come in at a hugh 28 inches long. And has a double decker aproch to store the over 4 gigs of DDR5 Ram.
The President of nVidia had this to say to ATI

ROFL. Omg that is funny stuff. This should be nominated for statement of the day lol :D

Majin said:
But nVidia has already stated that they will not be making a 7800GTX-Ultra. So we can count that out right there.
Where did they say that? Please provide a link to the quote.

I remember a guy from NV (possibly David Kirk) saying that they were using the GTX moniker instead of 'Ultra' for the fastest currently-available G70 card. However, since that was a while back and NV don't comment on unreleased products I'm sure he wasn't saying 'there will be no more G70 products faster than the GTX'. Why would they commit themselves to not releasing faster G70 products with R520 around the corner and unknown final clocks?

I think NV have dropped the 'Ultra' moniker (which I didn't refer to BTW) but that doesn't mean we won't see a faster product appear.

Shifra said:
600 dollars for the XT, which will be 600-650MHz Core, 1400MHz (rated for 1600) 512mb

And by varry, you mean increased. ;) If the Quadros have 512MB of video RAM, I see no reason why nVidia wouldn't release a 512MB to the mainstream. Hey, it might even lower the GTX prices even more than their already great prices. :)

I dont think 512 megs o Ram is gonna really matter till the Next Cycle of Video cards come out, Seems like incresing the cards speed over Ram at this point is more beneficial.

I don't know about the existence of a 7800 'Ultra' card, but I believe that there will be a 512MB version of the 7800 GT or GTX. There was a 512MB version of the 6800 Ultra, but that was ridiculously overpriced, and did not provide much of a performance increase. With the new G70 core out, maybe ther could be a significant performance increase. ATi seems to think so.

roninblade said:
theres not going to be a ultra
Nothing is set in stone...and since neither of us work at nVidia I doubt we can really know what they have up their sleeves...

/me hopes for a pleasant surprise... ;)

Shifra said:
no it cant

Everquest 2 and doom 3 both take advantage of 512 mb of video card ram...

Endurancevm said:
If it were my choice I would get the XL, so what if it doesnt have the onboard temp sensor, its the same thing as the XT, but lower clocked....much better value. Again, this all depends on REAL benchmarks that will be versus the 7800 and prove that its faster. Otherwise, I would just get a 7800GT.
what? im pretty sure hte only gen taht had the XT as the only ones with temp sensors were the 9600/9800 versions.. just cause temp sensing wasnt around with the 9600/9800 pro came out.

lithium726 said:
what? im pretty sure hte only gen taht had the XT as the only ones with temp sensors were the 9600/9800 versions.. just cause temp sensing wasnt around with the 9600/9800 pro came out.

I wouldn't doubt that there will be a 512MB version probably will sell for $600 that the X1800 will, It will be nice since it will allow ATI to keep their price where it is (which for ATI would be a bad thing). I doubt that they Would actually make a faster version though, board makers are having a good time with OC versions of the GTX and a super fast 7800 would probably lower yields.

Back