512MB of Video RAM is out

i think that card is for like video editing and redering stuff. my uncle has one similar. i think its the same kind of thing has quaddro fx and fire gl

SaberDicer said:
Wow that thing is ugly...

i second that lol

512 MB ram cards have been out awhile, for powerfull cad workstations and such, not for games

Sigh, cards like that with that much memory have been out for a very long time now.......

txstangguy said:
A x800 would out perform it in games.. that card isn't made for games lol

My TI200 would outperform it in games. Well, maybe an exaggeration, but anything above a TI4200 would for sure meet or beat it.

But it has a handy carrying handle for.......ummmm.....carrying.

lmao. that would probably go out the frony of my case.

wonder how well that cooler really cools

Spectre said:
But it has a handy carrying handle for.......ummmm.....carrying.

That's not a carrying handle. It's a guide for a full-size PCI card; very common on server SCSI RAID cards. Since the cards are long and heavy, and therefore exert a lot of force on the slot, the guide helps keep them in place and supported properly.

On this Antec case mechanical drawing , you can see the part (#22) that the guide mates with. Many full-size cases have these, usually right behind the bottom front fan mount.

I pull the older versions of thoughs out of hp x4000 workstation's at work. 3 GPU's on one card, dual 64MB DDR each. WildCatIII's if I do recall.
Anyways, I benchmarked one on a dual Xeon 2.2Ghz, 2GB RDRAM and Ultra160 10k rpm drives and it wasn't very impressive. I'd say on par with a high end Geforce3. :rolleyes:

Skrying said:
Its been toped already!

These cards are really awesome to look at though, kinda got me running through highend workstation cards just to see what they looked like. Pretty awesome.

"512-bit memory bus delivers the highest possible throughput"

That's a pretty nice feature I wouldn't mind having on a gaming card.

well, hopefully that'll happen in the next gen of cards. but 3dlabs is for workstations only. a radeon 9600pro could probably perform on par with one of 3dlabs' monster, uber cards that cost even more than $860 apiece in games

workingnonstop said:
Looks like the 6800s made to drive the Apple Cinema displays... :p :D

*joking nobody take offense ;)

I know you're joking and all, but minus a written PCB etching, they are no different (other then color) to the PC version :confused:

Well it's not meant to go into a bling bling plexiglass/cold cathode uber-mod case.

It's meant to actually do something productive.

It also kicks the shit outta the Quadro FX line in 3d Studio Max and Maya.

binkgle said:
well, hopefully that'll happen in the next gen of cards. but 3dlabs is for workstations only. a radeon 9600pro could probably perform on par with one of 3dlabs' monster, uber cards that cost even more than $860 apiece in games

They cost that much because no gaming card will ever perform as well as them when it comes to being a paperweight. :p

DropTech said:
I know you're joking and all, but minus a written PCB etching, they are no different (other then color) to the PC version :confused:

ummm... this looks a little different than any pc version I've seen :p

6800MacUltraCard.jpg

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9593G/A
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/mac_6800ultra_review/

k1pp3r said:
i second that lol

512 MB ram cards have been out awhile, for powerfull cad workstations and such, not for games

I agree...

New QC standard needs implementation for posters: read, think, RESEARCH and then when you're sure you're not a dillydong, it's time to click the new thread button. Breaking news to people aware of such things because they're used for something else isn't very clever, is it? :rolleyes:

I await next months thread with great anticipation

jiminnyjellickerz said:
New QC standard needs implementation for posters: read, think, RESEARCH and then when you're sure you're not a dillydong, it's time to click the new thread button. Breaking news to people aware of such things because they're used for something else isn't very clever, is it? :rolleyes:

I await next months thread with great anticipation
Lighten up? :eek:

The Geforce6 cards outperform it considerable, if you want 512MB of fast memory get two Geforce 6800Ultra's, they will out perform anything and one scored 12634 2005 3D MARK.

sculelos said:
The Geforce6 cards outperform it considerable, if you want 512MB of fast memory get two Geforce 6800Ultra's, they will out perform anything and one scored 12634 2005 3D MARK.
RTFT.

These cards are for programs like 3D Studio Max and Maya, which they DOMINATE.

You don't buy a $2500 professional OpenGL card for GAMING.

Ok there is a major difference between workstation cards and gaming cards. Gaming cards are meant for high fps and to look pretty. They have all kinds of errors all over the place that the human eye could never perceive. Workstation cards are meant for rendering 3d models in true 3d. I have seen models that take minutes to chunk out on some pretty hefty cards. Because while a jaggy may not mean much when killing a demon in doom3 it does mean ALOT if you cant figure out a wiring diagram. Difference between perfection and "good enough".

DropTech said:
2 x nVidia 256MB 6800s in SLI

Boom, 512MB right there... though not exactly the same. Yeah though, the 3DLabs card is for workstations (as stated by everybody, meaning you can point and laugh at me for being a parrot), but, just for kicks, you can point and laugh at its Doom 3 FPS. The next page is Half-Life 2. :)

sculelos said:

Two 6800U adds up to only 256 megs.

To clarify this, SLI doesnt seem to combine the memory of the two cards. In the benchmarks I've seen, the benchmarking program only recognized 256MB of memory.

team one up with one of these T221 and get the uber resolution of 3840X2400. That monitor costs about 7 grand though haha. That is a cad/development combo right there

Back