5200 reported as MX 440?

Regarding the second system in my signature:

I recently picked up an AGP video card with the model number "8903" printed on the board (it was free). Based on what I've been able to dredge-up, that makes it a 128MB MSI GeForce FX 5200 (OEM).

Here's the problem: I just installed the latest Linux drivers from nVidia, and the "nVidia X Server Settings" application reports it as a "GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X" and it only detects 64MB of video memory.

While it's possible that this is a strange OEM card that only has 64MB of RAM, is the GPU being mis-reported?

Run lspci (might be /sbin/lspci and not in your path). What does it list for the video card?

If the nvidia drivers report it as an mx440, then it's most likely an mx440 ;)

If you really want to be sure, pop off the heatsink and look at the chip. But it's probably just a regular old mx440 64mb. Not that there's anything wrong with that...great general-usage cards.

lspci agrees with the nVidia software, and yeah, I figured it was probably just an MX 440... This list seems to support that theory as well, judging by the numbers in the right column. Also, this pretty much confirms it :)

It's just strange that I couldn't find mention of an MX 440 with the number 8903 associated with it anywhere. Hell, this site even has the same picture as MSI's site linked above, but says it's the 128MB 5200. Bah!

Thanks for your help, guys.

Back