52c ok for opteron 170?

Dr. X

Supreme [H]ardness
I have my 170 at 2.5ghz right now, 1.4875 volts. It seems that anything lower gives me problems in some games (BF2 mainly), but is still prime stable. Anyway, it's loading at 52c right now, which seems a little high to me, though not dangerous. Should I worry about this temperature? Also, my computer seems heavily affected by ambient temperatures, and it's really warm in my apartment right now because I have no control of my heat and my landlord likes to keep it warm it seems. So I think if it was normal room temperature I'd probably be more around 48c, which seems more acceptable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

unfortunately my opty 170 hits 52c after an hour or two of gaming and i still dont have any probs. been running it for a couple months now.
im soon going watercooling though because i dont feel too comfortable about 52c myself.

Glad to see I'm not alone. Though after gaming for awhile the highest I've seen is 46-47c. 52c only happens with both cores loaded in prime95.

Also, what vcore are you running?

1.45 vcore
ive tried both a CNPS9500 and now the scythe ninja. both are for sale
i have a swiftech apex ultra kit on the way and hope to see a big improvement in temps.
i know for sure i have enough airflow in my case, im just not sure whats causing my temps to be so high.

Anything under 60C is ok. You may have stability problems if you start getting close to that. I set my computers to turn off at 60C because if they go over that, something is wrong.

I have an older 3200+ Winchester that will get up to 57C under load sometimes when overclocked only slightly to 2.4GHz @ 1.45v, even with an XP-90/Panaflo on it. It's never crashed and it's always run hot like that. Still going strong about 1 year now.

It really depends on the core. The older 90nm chips ran a lot hotter. I would say 52C is fine, but you don't want it getting much hotter than that.

In contrast, the Opteron 146 that is in my sig is running 2.8GHz @ 1.475v and it only gets up to 45-46C under load while gaming. Of course, the Zalman 9500 helps a lot with that.

Back