580 GTX and FFXIV?

Tatsuya

n00b
I'm planning to upgrade from a 4870x2 to a 580 GTX in the next two weeks and I was wondering if anyone have had any experience running FFXIV on a 580 GTX? any driver issues? Benchmarks? Nobody has been running those on most new card reviews... since it's what I'll be mainly playing for the next few years it's a deciding factor for me.

here's a link for the benchmark if any 580GTX owners care to share their results! it would greatly help, thanks!

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/download/benchmark01.html

I'm planning to upgrade from a 4870x2 to a 580 GTX in the next two weeks and I was wondering if anyone have had any experience running FFXIV on a 580 GTX? any driver issues? Benchmarks? Nobody has been running those on most new card reviews... since it's what I'll be mainly playing for the next few years it's a deciding factor for me.

here's a link for the benchmark if any 580GTX owners care to share their results! it would greatly help, thanks!

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/download/benchmark01.html

The most recent Nvidia WHQL drivers appeared to have increased FFXIV compatibility/performance. I would presume that the 580 should work fine, since it's just a refreshed 480 with slightly better performance.

PS I've played XIV and been real disappointed. I don't expect to renew my subscription at all until they fix the game - no auction house, stupid time based limitations on leves, rather dull/unrewarding levequests, no named monsters, very little variety in monsters, crazy crafting system and item wear that will cost you more money than you make unless you master nearly every craft, etc., etc.

How do nVidia cards perform in XIV overall? compared to ATI cards, my 4870x2 is horrid right now due to poor driver support for CF in XIV, extreme noise and the "having only one downclocked GPU work in windowed mode", I'd like to try nVidia for a change now but I'd like to hear how the game runs for nVidia guys (especially 580 GTX owners) before I make my purchase. (I never owned an nVidia card before)

Would like to know this as well. I have the same card and it's not up to snuff.

Sorry OP, If I had a 580 or SLi pair I would run take the 5 minutes to run that benchmark for you and post the results. It wouldn't take that long,

Can somebody with a GTX 580 help?

Last edited:
I used to play FFXI back in the day, and after a few months abandoned it ... have nothing but bad memories.

The fact FFXIV has a 50 score on metacritic, with user ratings of 3.8/10, means your odds of finding someone with both a 1-week old brand new video card AND a game that's been universally panned as being incomplete are pretty low.

My 580 comes in tomorrow, and I've downloaded the FFXIV benchmark demo from here:

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/final-fantasy-xiv/pc/final-fantasy-xiv-benchmark/

I'll try to post my results for you. But as for actual in-game feedback about the performance of FFXIV I won't be jumping into that franchise ever again. :)

Was that on High or Low fullvietFX ... I ran my 285 system through the benchmark once on High last night and scored somewhere around 3800, and though I have less ram, I'd have thought an i7 920 at 4.0ghz would have been closer to your C2Q.

Was that on High or Low fullvietFX ... I ran my 285 system through the benchmark once on High last night and scored somewhere around 3800, and though I have less ram, I'd have thought an i7 920 at 4.0ghz would have been closer to your C2Q.

This is on low.

Just ran the FFXIV benchmark on my new 580, just one pass because i have to get into WoW for the elemental invasion. :)

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB Corsair
Intel G2 SSD 160GB
GTX 285 OC card downclocked to stock settings to prevent crashing
Settings: High, Default Character, one pass:
Load Time: 10511ms

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB Corsair
Intel G2 SSD 160GB
GTX 580 Stock settings, no overclock
Load Time: 24488ms

Just ran the FFXIV benchmark on my new 580, just one pass because i have to get into WoW for the elemental invasion. :)

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB Corsair
Intel G2 SSD 160GB
GTX 285 OC card downclocked to stock settings to prevent crashing
Load Time: 10511ms

Core i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB Corsair
Intel G2 SSD 160GB
GTX 580 Stock settings, no overclock
Load Time: 24488ms

I'm either going to reformat or return my card for the MSI one. :mad:

Tried some very minor overclocking, using the EVGA Precision tool. Went from stock up to 847 Core, 1694 Shader, 2004 Memory. Just using the top slider linked ... I have a feeling this 580 I have will be an OC beast.

Everything is passing with flying colors and I'm not able to get higher than 89C under heavy load. No voltage tweaks to speak of, stock 580.

Ran the test with the same High settings and got 5866, load time 32299ms.

I'm sure once I find a proper faq I'll push this thing further.

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll prob be pushing 5500+ with this card! can't wait to get it, too bad amazon takes 2 to 4 weeks (seems they're out of stock? lol) to deliver. ;/

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll prob be pushing 5500+ with this card! can't wait to get it, too bad amazon takes 2 to 4 weeks (seems they're out of stock? lol) to deliver. ;/

You can buy one directly from EVGA from their website, without the markup. Not sure if your looking for stock or factory overclocked

I'll be looking forward to hearing (reading?) your comparisons!!

My card will probably arrive on the first week of december (or the second.. I couldn't order from newegg and it's out of stock everywhere lol;), but I'll post an update as soon as I install it.

I finally received my GTX 580 today! and I can say I'm very pleased with my purchase!

For those who asked for the results, here they are:

Old rig:
4870x2 stock (ASUS)
i7 950 @4.00
6 GB DDR3 1600 (XMS, CORSAIR)
WD 500GB HD (Black Caviar)
Score (high): 4332 (I used a .dll file to enable crossfire/full screen in the benchmark)

Old rig:
GTX 580 stock (EVGA, Superclocked -Black ops version-)
i7 950 @4.00
6 GB DDR3 1600 (XMS, CORSAIR)
WD 500GB HD (Black Caviar)
Score (high): 5856

I can't wait to OC this card! I'll prob hit 6000+ easily

new gtx580 owner as well.
I7 920 @ 4.0ghz
12gb DDR3 @ 1909mhz
Score (low) 7242

Score (high) 5755

im getting some crazy stuttering ingame (not demo)

Got mine up and running and it's night and day with my old VC 48070x2. It's more then doubled FPS and no CFX problems.

Back