5850 high temps

Dougjwjr

Limp Gawd
I recently put together a new computer to replace my aging q66, and the only thing I'm continuing to use right now is my 5850. However, after putting everything together and looking more closely, I'm seeing a bit of a problem. For reference, this is the card I have. I've had it since late December, 2009.

It is running a bit hotter than I would like. First, for a single monitor: Idle at ~45C 22% fan speed 157&300mhz 0.950v, up to 90C 50% fan speed 725&1000mhz 1.088V at load.
When I plug in my second monitor, the idle temp jumps up to 400/1000mhz 1.000v 58C, and 725/1000mhz/1.088v, 90C@50% fan speed (3600rpm) at load.
I've always known it runs hot, it did before and I attributed that to the case. It's in a new Corsair 400R now, with some better cable management than before, and decent air flow. For tests above, room temp was about 21C.Tested using FurMark 1.10.0 Burn-in benchmark 1920x1080 15min. Temperature and fan speeds observed in MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z.

I should note I am not interested in buying a new graphics card at this time. I am well aware with my new processor it's my bottleneck and it will be the next thing I upgrade, but not now. The performance I get from the 5850 is enough for me, for now. I was interested in overclocking it a bit, but with these temperatures stock seems too much. I cannot stand the fan at 50%, and I don't like it at 90C. I'm wondering what I can do to lower the temps?

furmark testing is insanely to unrealistic. its good for stability testing(except with 6k/7k/gtx400/500/600 cards) but not for testing realistic temps. try playing a game and monitor your temps that way instead.

furmark testing is insanely to unrealistic. its good for stability testing(except with 6k/7k/gtx400/500/600 cards) but not for testing realistic temps. try playing a game and monitor your temps that way instead.

Agreed.

Also, I don't ever remember my 5850 getting that hot. You could try new thermal paste on the GPU, cleaning the heatsink with compressed air, or try finding a cheap aftermarket cooler.

I currently use Open Hardware Monitor and before that it was the Asus PC Probe. Both put my 5850 at 58-62C (depending on ambient temp) idle with two 1680x1050 monitors. I dont recall the fan speed off hand, but it is no where near 50%. Both OHM and PC Probe were similar in temps so I have taken them to be reasonably accurate.

Max temp I have seen is 72 C in game and fan speed ~30%. Never had fan speed above 50%. Different monitorng software and different brand of 5850, but from other information I have found researhing mine, it was fairly typical numbers. 90 does seem crazy high, especially at idle. Have you tried other hardware monitoring software.

400R should give decent enough cooling. See if the in game temps are that high and look at modifying the case airflow or get a cooler like Firewalker81 reccomends.

Alright, I tested with a few games. The temps were a bit lower (and much lower, depending on the game).

All games are on 1920x1200, and highest in game settings. (all were playable, though skyrim slowed once or twice briefly).
Playing Dota 2: 60-75% usage and 77C (32% fan)
BFBC2: 99% usage, 84C w/ 34% fan speed
Starcraft 2: 99% usage, 81C w/ 33% fan speed
Just Cause 2 Benchmark (The Dark Tower): 99% usage, 85C w/ 37% fan speed
Skyrim: 99% usage 84C, 33% fan
Idle: 59C (22-27% fan speed). Room: about 20-21C.

These temps are lower in game than they were for furmark, but still often reach 80's. I may try this weekend reseating the cooler. If I cant get any lower temps by doing that, I'm wondering where I should look next. I could try lowering voltages, though I don't know how low I could set them. (current load voltages are 1.088v. If that doesn't work, what sort of cooler would you guys recommend that's relatively cheap?

Thanks.

Your temps are fine, I don't understand why your sweating when your card is perfectly normal. During normal gaming your fan speed never went above 37%. Just enjoy your card and stop worrying.

those temps look fine for the fan speeds. if you were getting into the mid 90's to low 100C range then i'd be worried but 80-85C @ 35% or lower fan speed are fine. if you really don't like the temps use afterburner to create a custom fan profile. so the fans will ramp up to 40-45% when the temps exceed ~80C.

idk what your room temperature is, but my idle is ten C below yours with dual monitor at 69F. The jump up with dual monitors is normal. Your card is still fine, just warmer than my XFX :p

Back