5870 + Battlefield BC2 Artifacting

Juic3

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getting small flashing black squares in snow levels and moving horizontal lines inside tanks.

Right after I started seeing these I tried Crysis, Warhead and left Furmark running for about an hour and no problems, yet when I go back to BC2 the artifacting is there, I tried 10.2 and 10.3 drivers and same results.

Could the card be damaged and just started showing signs of being defective ?

Update: The lines inside tanks are part of the game, its just the small black squares in snow levels.

Last edited:
How are the temps?

Have you tried down clocking it and seeing if it does it still??

How are the temps?

Have you tried down clocking it and seeing if it does it still??

Normal from what I can see, 60ish on idle and low 90s on load.

Havent tried downclocking, will after work.

My room is a bit on the warm side, so my idle is high but load seems to be not far off.

1253589355YCmpekvJfn_12_4.gif

Try opening the CCC -> Overdrive and manually turning your fan up to around 45 to 50% when you game. Your problem sounds like heat, more than anything.

Try opening the CCC -> Overdrive and manually turning your fan up to around 45 to 50% when you game. Your problem sounds like heat, more than anything.

First thing I did was crank it up to 100% and game, and same artifacting.

I'll try to downclock.

I get the same with my 5870. Overclocked, stock and underclocked. Going to give the manual fan speed idea a shot.

I'm getting the same with the 4870 with my settings at Medium, at stock clock speed. I was just thinking about upgrading, but if you guys are having the same issue, then I might wait and see what happens.

Is this a known problem? I just sold my GTX 280 literally 1 hour ago and about to buy a 5870. Anyone else with ATI cards that do NOT have the problem?

Game ran perfectly fine maxed out on the GTX 280 except AA and AF

The stuff in the tank's meant to happen as you can see with the HUD covering it. The black squares may very well be a sign of issues with your card, but it's best to check your RAM and make a full driver sweep and reinstall the latest drivers. You never know.

I ran into a few small visual artefacts in some cases when I set renderahead to 0 rather than 2, and the game looked sharper but moved so much faster.

Is this a known problem? I just sold my GTX 280 literally 1 hour ago and about to buy a 5870. Anyone else with ATI cards that do NOT have the problem?

I'm having no issues. I've played hours of the SP with everything maxed at 1920*1200. My guess is that it's a software issue, which will take a driver/patch to clear up. Seems to be one of quite a few issues with the game so far.

question: I'm upgrading from Gtx280 to 5870. In BC2, does it automatically detect you have 5870 and go DX11 or must you set it some where?

question: I'm upgrading from Gtx280 to 5870. In BC2, does it automatically detect you have 5870 and go DX11 or must you set it some where?
By default, every time the game starts, it will choose the highest DX level your hardware and OS can support. If you want to manually change that, open the settings.ini and switch DxVersion from auto to 11.

wow auto fan speed?

I been playing all night with my 5850 at 850/1200 clocks fan 40% 63c max temp on 10.2 drivers no issues dx11.

EDIT @ 1920x1200

Last edited:
dont have the card but planning to get one.. but hmm ever tried to run it at a lower resolution?

I have a factory OC 5850. I get moving horizontal lines sometimes when watching the in-between-missions videos in singleplayer, but these only appear in a split of a second. It is not really a problem, but I do notice it often in these videos. I have noticed it a couple times while playing, but it is hardly worth mentioning.

First of all your first screen with the half opacity rectangles in the tank view is actually part of the game I believe, it's part of the semi-scrambled video monitor style HUD for the tank.

As for the real artifact in your second pic it could be your AA mode, I know during the beta at one point I had been playing crysis and played with AA and switched the AA Filter in CCC from 'box' to 'edge detect' (even with Use application setting selected the mode still changed in BC2) and at 4xAA and 8xAA back in BC2 beta there was tons of solid black squares all over the screen, though like 100 at once, not just one. Switching the AA filter in CCC back to 'box' instantly quelled the issue.

First of all your first screen with the half opacity rectangles in the tank view is actually part of the game I believe, it's part of the semi-scrambled video monitor style HUD for the tank.

As for the real artifact in your second pic it could be your AA mode, I know during the beta at one point I had been playing crysis and played with AA and switched the AA Filter in CCC from 'box' to 'edge detect' (even with Use application setting selected the mode still changed in BC2) and at 4xAA and 8xAA back in BC2 beta there was tons of solid black squares all over the screen, though like 100 at once, not just one. Switching the AA filter in CCC back to 'box' instantly quelled the issue.

Ha! It does happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fizw6Muv6Tg

Sorry its just that I played the beta and it wasn't there.

About the other artifact in snow levels, I tried with the lowest settings and 1xAA and still there.

Do they flash just for an instant almost like you're seeing things? I get those too on snow levels with my gtx 285. I'm sure it's a problem with those levels/textures and nothing else. Any of you see the small white dot in the bottom right sometimes too? Another glitch with the game.

Sorry to derail but I came to this board looking for dx 11 impressions of this game. Anyone compared dx 10 to 11 yet? Worth an upgrade for to a dx 11 card from my 285?

Do they flash just for an instant almost like you're seeing things? I get those too on snow levels with my gtx 285. I'm sure it's a problem with those levels/textures and nothing else. Any of you see the small white dot in the bottom right sometimes too? Another glitch with the game.

Sorry to derail but I came to this board looking for dx 11 impressions of this game. Anyone compared dx 10 to 11 yet? Worth an upgrade for to a dx 11 card from my 285?

Yeah I thought I was seeing things, they flash for a fraction of a second when the wind is blowing over the snow.

About the DX11 difference, I haven't compared but I do know it runs just amazing with the ati card. I guess if you're into soft shadows a lot you should upgrade though, they look great.

Last edited:
I also get artifacting in the snow levels with my 5850 at stock settings. Max temp was 84C so not a heat problem. I don't get those terrible boxes in tanks like the video above though. That's pretty bad.

I also get artifacting in the snow levels with my 5850 at stock settings. Max temp was 84C so not a heat problem. I don't get those terrible boxes in tanks like the video above though. That's pretty bad.

Not even in the mission in single player?

I'm getting small flashing black squares in snow levels and moving horizontal lines inside tanks.

Right after I started seeing these I tried Crysis, Warhead and left Furmark running for about an hour and no problems, yet when I go back to BC2 the artifacting is there, I tried 10.2 and 10.3 drivers and same results.

Could the card be damaged and just started showing signs of being defective ?

Update: The lines inside tanks are part of the game, its just the small black squares in snow levels.

Can you by anychance, FRAPS this and upload it to youtube so we can see these artifacts during gameplay?

I don't have a 5870; But I am not exhibiting any artifacting on my 5970 (stock didn't overloack the card yet) ATM. I've been playing Battlefield BC2 since release day, and I haven't seen any artifactings ATM. But I did mess around with the settings.ini and changed the FOV to 120. Also changed my [Sound]
Quality=high enabled HSAO=true DxVersion=11 But I doubt, that will have any impact with the artifacts.

Last edited:
Not even in the mission in single player?

Nope. Never saw those boxes before till watching that youtube video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle0079
Max temp was 84C so not a heat problem.

Quote:
Max temp was 84C

not a heat problem.

Quote:
84C not a problem.

Not a problem ;)

Anything under 90 is fine.

I somehow doubt the random artifacts in the snow level are heat-related considering ati users and nvidia users get the exact same thing. I don't think they would manifest the same way unless it was game-related. My gtx 285 is at stock and runs with no problems. It's just not real noticeable so not everyone probably sees it.

4870 X2 with no artificating at all. I do get the nasty water glitches (flicker).

I also get the sucky load times reported by many ATI users.

Crappy load times are attributed to DX11 correct?
Kinda. The issue is also present when I force DX10, so I think it's just a bug with the game and current drivers. Nvidia users using either DX9 or 10 don't have an issue, or AMD users running DX9. It's been known since the beta, so I'm at a loss as to why it hasn't been addressed yet by either Dice or AMD,

Back