5870 & Crysis Performance

Infaustium

Limp Gawd
I don't know if there's yet another issue with this particular 5870 I'm running, so I wanted to get some feedback from others on their performance in Crysis with similar settings and set-ups.

i7 950 (3.07GHz)
Gigabyte X58 UD5 (F7 BIOS)
6GB DDR3 in triple channel
HX620 PSU
XFX 5870 (Cat 10.3)
1920x1200

Settings: everything on "Very High", 4xAA, Vsync on (because I cant stand tearing).

Min/Max/Avg (during action; some random benchies)
13/38/28.9 - 20/38/30.7 - 15/42/27.4 - 15/44/27.1 - 27/42/31.5

Anyone else getting similar performance on a similar system? Does this seem about "right" to anyone for the 5870 on a system such as mine?

Getting frustrating, because I've been through three different 5870's over time, and this one seemed to be performing better when I first got it, though I could be losing my mind.

Also seems to be, like in TF2, a very, very slight "jerkiness" that's noticeable particularly when looking at something and moving side-to-side looking at the same object.

My GTX 280 does not do this, even though it's on lower settings, and I'd not think the 5870 would have trouble like this.

So, curious as to some comparisons and feedback here. Don't know what the little "stuttering" or "jerkiness" is about, but it's fairly noticeable at this point. Performance-wise, I'd like to just a get a feel if I'm running the way I should.

i would like to point out that i've noticed "jerkiness" in TF2 with my GTX 285. i've seen other reports of this with ATI cards. perhaps this is an issue with the game? i have no idea, but i bought a 5870 that will be here tomorrow. hoping to be jerk-free. :)

i would like to point out that i've noticed "jerkiness" in TF2 with my GTX 285. i've seen other reports of this with ATI cards. perhaps this is an issue with the game? i have no idea, but i bought a 5870 that will be here tomorrow. hoping to be jerk-free. :)

Well, the "jerking" in TF2 is some odd driver issue when 8xAA is used, which I figured out last night. Turning it down to 4x resolved it for me. So, in case you get it with your 5870, at least you know now what is one cause. I don't know about any other causes, though I've heard it myself.

But, in terms of general performance in other games, I'm noticing it a bit in Crysis I think as well, so I don't know what's up, and would like to get a comparison from others running similar systems, general, as well as if they've noticed any "jerking"/"stuttering" in Crysis as well, similar to what I've described.

Two games I'm playing just happen to be "jerky", Crysis and Fallout 3, so it's a hard comparison. Didn't notice it in Mass Effect 2, but ME2 runs like shit when AA is enabled via the CCC still, which drops the fps which causes lag, so I don't know what the hell is up with that.

Either way, attempting to get some feedback from others with similar set-ups on Crysis, just to see if at least I'm running within what would be considered "norm" for performance right now.

• Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33Ghz
  • 4GB RAM (PDP DDR2 LOW LATENCY PC-6400 AW96)
  • ATI Radeon 5870 XFX (Stock Settings 10.3)
  • 1680x1050

I play Crysis with everything set to Very High, at 1680x1050, with 2xAA and usually "feel" like I get around 20-30fps in the game.
I just ran the built in Island benchmark and got 38fps average.

I am actually really disappointed that we aren't seeing more leaps and bounds in the GPU market right now. I remember how revolutionary the ATI 9700 Pro was, and then later the nVidia 8800GTX. Doesn't seem like we are seeing the same thing nowadays.

Well, the "jerking" in TF2 is some odd driver issue when 8xAA is used, which I figured out last night. Turning it down to 4x resolved it for me. So, in case you get it with your 5870, at least you know now what is one cause. I don't know about any other causes, though I've heard it myself.

But, in terms of general performance in other games, I'm noticing it a bit in Crysis I think as well, so I don't know what's up, and would like to get a comparison from others running similar systems, general, as well as if they've noticed any "jerking"/"stuttering" in Crysis as well, similar to what I've described.

Two games I'm playing just happen to be "jerky", Crysis and Fallout 3, so it's a hard comparison. Didn't notice it in Mass Effect 2, but ME2 runs like shit when AA is enabled via the CCC still, which drops the fps which causes lag, so I don't know what the hell is up with that.

Either way, attempting to get some feedback from others with similar set-ups on Crysis, just to see if at least I'm running within what would be considered "norm" for performance right now.

thank you for this information! do you see any difference in quality using 4xAA vs. 8xAA?

the jerking i am referring to is small but noticable. the game is still playable though (i still topfrag!). i'll try your suggestion of lowering AA to 4x.

• 1680x1050

I play Crysis with everything set to Very High, at 1680x1050, with 2xAA and usually "feel" like I get around 20-30fps in the game.

I am actually really disappointed that we aren't seeing more leaps and bounds in the GPU market right now. I remember how revolutionary the ATI 9700 Pro was, and then later the nVidia 8800GTX. Doesn't seem like we are seeing the same thing nowadays.

Exactly, I know what you mean, and I'm feeling the same way at this point.

Thanks for the response. Your system is similar to my other system, which my wife now uses. I know "Crysis is Crysis", but I seriously thought that the 5870 would be able to handle things better than it does on "Very High" settings with 4xAA.

thank you for this information! do you see any difference in quality using 4xAA vs. 8xAA?

the jerking i am referring to is small but noticable. the game is still playable though (i still topfrag!). i'll try your suggestion of lowering AA to 4x.

No problem, I hope it helps.

I see absolutely no difference between 4xAA and 8xAA, and usually you wont when at 1920 res or higher. At resolutions of 1920 and higher, 8xAA is a complete waste of horsepower, as there's usually never a difference in any game. Hence why I've never understood any reviews that use 8xAA, as it only hinders performance at such resolutions and offers absolutely nothing more in terms of visuals.

I'd recommend overclocking both your CPU and GPU (the CPU especially to raise minimums). My 5850 CF setup plays Crysis at 1920x1200 with 8xAA at 60FPS (Island Demo Benchmark is about 61.55FPS average IIRC), so it sounds like you just need more horsepower.

Right now I'm running an i7 950 @ 3.07GHz (very close to your clock) and 6GB DDR3 RAM... that's plenty of horsepower. OC'ing, which I no longer am into doing, should not be necessary with such a set-up.

I also have another system with an E8600 @ 3.33GHz and 4GB DDR2 with similar results.

With my current system, however, there's no reason the 5870 or my CPU should need to be OC'd, given what the performance of the 5870 has been claimed to be.

You're running 5850 in CF, so of course your performance will be better, though I'm still shocked that you'd be getting 60fps in Crysis with 8xAA even with a 5850 CF set-up.

Right now I'm running an i7 950 @ 3.07GHz (very close to your clock) and 6GB DDR3 RAM... that's plenty of horsepower. OC'ing, which I no longer am into doing, should not be necessary with such a set-up.
Well evidently it is, because I'm getting the performance I want, where as you are not. Sorry to be frank, but that's pretty simple logic right there. And 3.07GHz is not "very close" to 3.6GHz, 533MHz (17%) can make a big difference, especially in minimum framerates.
With my current system, however, there's no reason the 5870 or my CPU should need to be OC'd, given what the performance of the 5870 has been claimed to be.
I'm curious as to how you came under the assumption that your 5870 should be faster. Point out a review that shows your system (or similar) getting better framerates than you are (or better yet, the framerates you want to get).

You're running 5850 in CF, so of course your performance will be better, though I'm still shocked that you'd be getting 60fps in Crysis with 8xAA even with a 5850 CF set-up.
That's the difference between overclocking and not. Performance is a simple equation: faster parts = higher FPS. A video card can only do so much work. If you increase the clock speed so it can pump out more per unit time (in this case, frames per second), then it'll perform better.

• 1680x1050

thats a CPU bottleneck there, heck even my old Q6600 @ 3.8G still bottleneck it...

things dramatically change when I switch to core i7 @ 4G...

didn't know Crysis is such a CPU whore until I upgrade my CPU.. :(

• 1680x1050

Yep they'll definitely show higher scores in synthetic benchmarks but when it comes down to eal world practical gaming.....it's like revolutionary?? meh.

• 1680x1050

You are doing it wrong.

With 4Ghz i5, 5870 at 1Ghz and that res, I get 51fps avg veryhigh, 46fps with 2x AA on crysis bench

Back