5870=longer load times

Jap1987

Limp Gawd
Just as the title says, I recently upgraded from an 8800gtx to an Asus 5870. The performance is amazing in every game however Ive noticed a much longer load time in all of my games. The biggest being when the rounds are changing in Bad Company 2. The little spinning loading symbol just moves very slow where as before it was instantly loaded. Not sure why a video card would have this effect, but maybe someone else had or has this issue.

Could using higher quality settings and textures in games possibly mean that the game now has to read more data from the hard drive and thus leading to the longer load times?

I have no idea. Just pondering.

Could using higher quality settings and textures in games possibly mean that the game now has to read more data from the hard drive and thus leading to the longer load times?

This is correct.

this is what I assume.

running dx 10 or 11 will take alot longer to load then dx9. I have the same problem. its nothing on you. BC2 has not been optimized yet, so expect things to improve in the retail version.

Even though I love sarcasm I don't think it has anything to do with going from low - high. When the round ends and you get that little twitter bs than your stats for the round. That whole scene just lags where as before it was smooth clicking on anyone of the medals takes about 5 seconds to do anything. It almost seems to me that the card reverts back to 2d settings.

Even though I love sarcasm I don't think it has anything to do with going from low - high. When the round ends and you get that little twitter bs than your stats for the round. That whole scene just lags where as before it was smooth clicking on anyone of the medals takes about 5 seconds to do anything. It almost seems to me that the card reverts back to 2d settings.

I don't think anyone was being sarcastic. Going from low to high *WILL* have an affect on load times.

As a test, try dropping the settings back to what you were using with your 8800GTX.

Although if you want help trying to determine the cause, post your system specs.

Already tried the same settings as the 8800gtx on Bad Company 2. As for Bioshock 2 the game already ran decent maxed out. It runs even better on the 5870 so again I was suprised by the longer load times.

System

Q9300 at 3.1ghz
Asus 5870
Kingston ram 4gigs
700 watt OCZ psu
windows vista 32 bit

What driver are you using for it and have you tried a older or newer one to see if the problem corrected after that?

Give me a second and i will fire mine up on the 10.1's and see what it does. I will do default then max everything out and check the load times and report back.

10.1 is the only driver I have tried. I will wait on you to see if yours does the same.

Do you have a second monitor? You could watch the GPU clocks and see if they are dropping to 2d speeds then.

For what its worth, I haven't noticed any longer load times with my card. I haven't tried BC2 yet, though.

Can confirm that DX9 loads way quicker than DX10, running in DX10 on ssd drive loaded almost 5-7 seconds slower that normal sata drive running DX9, running DX9 i'm normally driving the tank before anyone else is even parachuting in :) SSD ensures armour, looking forward to full release.

On default 1920 x 1080 medium settings i would say around 35-40 seconds load time. When i set it to advanced , high first four settings, 2x,4x, off and off. It then takes about 55-60 seconds to fully load.

1) takes about 20 seconds before the circle starts spinning fast.
2) takes about 30 seconds before the circle starts spinning fast.

Just forced mine to dx9 and tried everything low again. Still loads slower than with the 8800gtx but screw it I guess, the game play is much smoother. Thanks for all the help fellas.

My MW2/W@W/CoD4 seems to load slower than everyone else. I think it's just a trait of all ATi cards.

Hmm, well I don't think I updated to 10.1 on my old hardware. I just installed my i7 920 setup and formatted and installed 10.1 drivers last week.

Noticed in GTAIV is takes almost a minute to load the game initially after hitting start to continue from a save. On my old hardware, it would take maybe 10 seconds. It's pretty annoying. It isn't using the hdd much either during that load time. Tried it at max and min gfx settings, no change.

Call of Pripyat loads a little bit faster it seems, but the hdd is on constantly. Haven't tried any other games yet.

Think I'm going to try 9.12s again, monitor not going to sleep with 10.1 is annoying too.

I went from 9.4 to the 10.1 drivers and it was terrible. Took forever to load games and stuttering and lag in games was pure crap.
I found some 9.1 drivers and after cleaning out the 10.1's I installed them and all was good again.
I believe there is some major crap in 10.1's that a LOT of people are screaming about.
Personally I think they are broken junk.

Bad Company 2 loads longer with ATI hardware because of a driver bug which makes compiling the shaders take a lot longer.

Well I tried going back to 9.12 HF, but my load times in gta4 remained the same. No more monitor staying on with a blank screen when it's supposed to go to sleep, pos drivers.

Well I stumbled across what was causing GTAIV to take so long to load. Strangely it was V-sync.
With it on, I timed from when you hit start game in the menu to when you can play, about 1 minute. With v-sync off, it's less than 5 seconds. Never heard of this, I usually leave v-sync off but the tearing in this game is terrible.

Back