5870: Performance vs Visuals

Slachtbeest

Limp Gawd
Just curious what [H] and others think/experience with the 5870 regarding the following.

It's obvious that performance is massive with this beast, but how would compare the visuals between this and nVidia?

Better AA/AF and/or color?

Also, what do you find gives the best results: setting AA/AF etc. in the CCC? Or in-game?

If it even makes a difference. I know, for some odd reason, setting the AA/AF in nVidia's CP would sometimes make things look better, and sometimes using in-game settings were better. Actually, a long time ago it was recommended to me to use in-game AA/AF as much as possible unless necessary to set it in the CP.

What did [H] experience/use, and what are others finding?

Thanks, it's helpful to see what others are experiencing thus far... but I'm asking what people here are experiencing, including the [H] staff themselves.
Also, that thread seems to only be addressing a "potential" flickering problem.

There has always been a difference between ATi's visuals and nVidia's, with ATi generally having more vibrant and generally better color, as well as generally having better AA/AF.

I just didn't see a very direct comparison of these things in the review in direct wording, nor have seen anyone thus far really talk about these things who have the 5870 already.

Sometimes there's a difference in the quality of the visuals depending on whether or not you use the settings in the CP or in-game.

Sometimes there's a big difference between the overall quality of the visuals between ATi and nVidia.

I'm just trying to find out what settings people are using (CP or in-game) and how the visuals compare between brands (say the 295 or 280 vs the 5870).

Is there a difference in the visuals from any aspect?
Were settings set in the CP or in-game in the review?

Maybe Brent and/or Kyle have some feedback they can offer here?

As for the "flickering" issue from the forum link you just posted, if anyone here notices it as a problem, I'd like to hear about that as well. From that thread, it's hard to tell if it's the GPU or the textures of the game (life F3) being mentioned. I've seen flickering on my GTX 280 in F3 too, so...

Thanks.

I won't get my 5870 in till Monday. I'll have some comments then. But the link you provided appeared to be a report from someone in the Nvidia camp. Doesn't sound like very reliable info.

Hold-up... lets not hijack the thread and turn into about flickering.

I have some other questions I'm trying to get feedback on here.

Thanks.

Well the AA is bugged right now with the 5870, on NWN2 burning lamps have flickering squares above them, and in Resident Evil 5 cutscenes are just black screens.

Back