Please help me settle an argument,
My buddy says that if you use a newer speck Power supply
one with out a -5 volt rail, on an older Motherboard, that has a -5 volt rail
it will render it toast!
I say that the - 5 volt rail was for the older ISA spec cards
and isn't needed
and wont furball the Mother board!
What you thnik?

I can give you first hand experience as I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my spare system with a Gigabyte socket A board wont boot with my Antec Truepower 550 PSU in it. It was working just fine in its old case with a no name 300watt, but I switch it to a new case (Antec Sonata2) with the 550 in it and it turns on, fans spin, everything has power, but no video ever comes on screen :confused:

So long story short i hook a no name 450watt that i use for testing and it works fine....hook the antec 550 back in and boom no video. So i think there must be a pin that has popped out of the 550 or something so after looking at the connectors I discover that it has no -5V pin!!!!

So to answer your question no it wont fry the system, it just wont boot.

So now I need help...I want to use the 550 and not the generic 450, so how do I put a -5V pin into the empty spot? I was hoping that I could remove a pin from the detachable 21-24 block and put it in the missing -5V spot so that it'll work. I've already looked in teh PSU manual, but it says nothing about this....anyone know????

I can give you first hand experience as I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my spare system with a Gigabyte socket A board wont boot with my Antec Truepower 550 PSU in it. It was working just fine in its old case with a no name 300watt, but I switch it to a new case (Antec Sonata2) with the 550 in it and it turns on, fans spin, everything has power, but no video ever comes on screen :confused:

So long story short i hook a no name 450watt that i use for testing and it works fine....hook the antec 550 back in and boom no video. So i think there must be a pin that has popped out of the 550 or something so after looking at the connectors I discover that it has no -5V pin!!!!

So to answer your question no it wont fry the system, it just wont boot.

Are you sure the 550 isn't just a bad PSU?

So now I need help...I want to use the 550 and not the generic 450, so how do I put a -5V pin into the empty spot? I was hoping that I could remove a pin from the detachable 21-24 block and put it in the missing -5V spot so that it'll work. I've already looked in teh PSU manual, but it says nothing about this....anyone know????

You can't. If your system absolutely needs that -5v, then you'll have to get a PSU that provides it. Taking a pin from the +4 connector and shoving in into the -5v spot WILL fry your board since those are +12v, +5v and +3.3v.

Are you sure the 550 isn't just a bad PSU?

You can't. If your system absolutely needs that -5v, then you'll have to get a PSU that provides it. Taking a pin from the +4 connector and shoving in into the -5v spot WILL fry your board since those are +12v, +5v and +3.3v.

The PSU is good it works fine in my other 2 systems that use a 24 pin psu, and the mobo is fine as it works fine with both my 20 pin psu's.

Thanks for the advice, I saw that when I looked at the pin outs that none of the 4 were -5V pins, but I had someone tell me otherwise so I was just making sure.

The PSU is good it works fine in my other 2 systems that use a 24 pin psu, and the mobo is fine as it works fine with both my 20 pin psu's.

Thanks for the advice, I saw that when I looked at the pin outs that none of the 4 were -5V pins, but I had someone tell me otherwise so I was just making sure.

Probably someone that doesn't realize there's 10v difference between -5v and +5v.

LOL Ryan
Well
I went ahead and replaced my PC Power & Cooling 510ATX with an Enermax Tomahawk 500w ps.
Had the PCP&C for 4 years 11 months
The 5 year warranty is up next month
Not sure I'm gonna bother getting it fixed,Blown Cap!
What do you think?
Cause now I got an excuse for the little lady to build a new rig:D
Well the rig runs fine
no hiccups
Readings are within tolerance
Except the -5 volt rail shows up as 3.33 volts?!!
AMD Athlon ovclk to 3000+
3 gigs coursair ram
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Geforce 6800 GT ovclk
2 10000 rpm Raptors in raid

I don't like negitive stuff anywho:eek:

Back