5x 256 Crucial Micron M4 RAID testing

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Object: Benchmark 5x 256GB Crucial M4 SSD's
Results: Only able to conduct Raid 0 benches due to schedule changes.

Unfortunately I was only able to conduct RAID 0 benches due to a very late call I received tonight that my customer is going to need these installed tomorrow instead of monday. I had to cut her short in preparation. However the results are impressive and also some are average.

Platform:
3930K / Asus Rampage IV / Adaptec 6805 SAS 6gps enterprise card with write caching enabled. (DID NOT use motherboard ports in anyway)

Array: RAID 0 / 512kb Stripes (was gonna test more but ran out of time)

I used the following benchmarks:
ATTO / AS SSD / Anvil Storage Beta

Screenshots:

The RIG:
therig

therig2

The benches:
Anvil Storage Benchmark---
6805Anvil

AS SSD ---
6805ssdraid0

Lastly ATTO --- (YES YOU SEE 2GB/sec BIG B!)
6805ssdattoraid0

In closing I have to say it is sad I did not get my happy ending (literally a beer in hand), I did have a chance to see what these will do with 5 drives in RAID 0. Its freaking blazing on sequential transfers. However the 6805 doesnt seem to negotiate random IO so well. There are so many untested factors that I did NOT get to test so it's too early to rule out or rule in any one factor as a culprit for performance.

I was sincerely hoping to test RAID 0 (256kb/512KB striping), RAID 10, RAID 5 and 6. Unfortunately I take my work seriously and had to cut it short to prepare for tomorrow's installation.

Just wanted to share whatever results I was able to obtain this evening.

Thanks for tuning in for what little there is to see. I will try and set this test up again next time I get an opportunity to really have more time with the drives.

Last edited:
you going to bench them on a raid card or softraid? looks liek you will have fun regardless
on a side note, how did you like the marietta microcenter? lol

you going to bench them on a raid card or softraid? looks liek you will have fun regardless
on a side note, how did you like the marietta microcenter? lol

Adp 6805.

I do like the Marietta and the Duluth locations. I go there regularly.

I put the beer up there because 1. its from GA FTW, and 2. It will be my happy ending to testing knowing that I dont own these drives haha.

Do you work there? If you do I probably know you. Send me a PM.

don't burn out your sata controller with those speeds!

at least you dont have one of those recalled sandy bridge boards with shoddy sata ports.

don't burn out your sata controller with those speeds!

at least you dont have one of those recalled sandy bridge boards with shoddy sata ports.

Oh im using an enterprise Adaptec 6805 SAS controller.

I might just do RAID 0 I really do not have the time with the drivers to be doing secure erases etc....

Yummm. I just installed my 256gb M4 into my SB box and I'm loving it, I'm patiently awaiting LSI 9265-4i card and I'd like to throw these drives into a RAID10. Looking forward to more testing. :)

Yummm. I just installed my 256gb M4 into my SB box and I'm loving it, I'm patiently awaiting LSI 9265-4i card and I'd like to throw these drives into a RAID10. Looking forward to more testing. :)

I am sure that you are going to love the LSI. That is one quick card for sure. I actually just have this card from a project where they decomissioned the servers and sold the equipment for next to nothing. I was able to score this card for a really good price. This is a rock solid card. I wish I had more time to test more of its capabilities.

Back