6.3 Catalyst and "Chuck" patch

Chris Lakies

Limp Gawd
I know i may be a tard for asking this question, but do i have to install the 6.3 Catalyst driver and then the Chuck patch? Or is the Chuck patch the actual driver?

So whats the deal if you want to go with 6.4? Or is no patch needed for Cat 6.4?

Only 6.3 is supported. A lot of people are complaining about the 6.4s and X1xxx cards anyway, so I'd just stick with the 6.3s for now.

The Chuck patch only works with 6.3 for now. Ati will not have the patch included in drivers until 6.5, maybe 6.6 cats. As mentioned before 6.3 is better for x1k series anyway...

rincewind said:
You need to install the drivers first, then the patch.
No you don't. The Chuck patch is a standalone modified 6.3 driver. Installing the Chuck patch by itself is equivalent to installing the "display driver only" download from the ATI website.

That said, if you want Catalyst Control Center and the WDM drivers, you can download and install the integrated Catalyst Control Center package, and then install the Chuck patch drivers on top of that.

Or, you can download the Chuck patch, the standalone CCC and WDM packages (from the dial-up section) and install the three separately. They produce the same result in the end.

If you don't want CCC, then you can just install the Chuck patch by itself along with the WDM package. Then use ATITool and/or ATI Tray Tools to do your overclocking/image settings.

Back