6" Digital Calipers with SPC port for $11.99 @ Harborfreight (BM or web)

GenesisFactor

[H]ard|Gawd
Harbor freight stock # 47257
Valid until 1/31/13
Limit: 3

Regular: $29.99
On sale right now for: $19.99
With Coupon Code 41907464: 11.99 + Tax or $6.99 flat rate shipping (go nuts on the order to make it negligible :) )

Coupon sheet:
http://www.harborfreight.com/affili...medium=aff&utm_campaign=wts-coupons&hftref=cj

It HAS an SPC port. I opened it up, just realized it had one, popped in my cable and was really happy. 90 day warranty if you fry it (try not to!).

For those of you who don't know, this port allows you to communicate the measurement data to a computer with a serial capable microcontroller. Two common microcontrollers are the Atmega328 (Arduino) and the MSP430 (Launchpad). There are sketches and C code freely available on the web. I believe that the MSP430 needs to be tweaked with a transistor on each of the 2 data pins while the Arduino requires just one pin get a transistor and a resistor. Just search.

There are other fun things, like the 10" tires for $3.99 and stuff, but we're [H[ard, and that one can directly interface with the computer with about $7 more in components (if using the MSP430) :)

At that price point and the brand, it's likely another set of Chinese digital calipers. If you're going to be doing anything involving precision work, avoid these and shell out the cash for real Mitutoyos.

Volucris, i totally agree with you. Mitutoyos are where it is at. The only reason why i purchased it is because it is 1/10th the price of a Mitutoyo and it's just for around the house. Its for "when +/-.2 mm counts, but .02 doesn't matter". The ONLY reason i even posted is because of the SPC port. You can get a cable with ends from BGmicro with a MUCH more precise depth finder for about $8. With a microcontroller, you get what Mitutoyo tries to charge $50-$100 for and it will be still compatible. that was the point :)

Outback, i'll grab a computer of those too. My area is too dark and i can't put any more lights in.

Power5, as Volucris said these guys aren't as precise as their accuracy states, so expect .001" to be acceptable. They SAY they can be .0001, but...whatevs. If i make something at .0001 accuracy, i won't be using my personal 3D printer or CNC machine, that's for sure!!

I usually get accuracy to within .001 with my standards. My 1" reads at .999 which isn't a deal breaker most of the time. My high end stuff also isn't spot on all of the time.

Actually most of my stuff is pretty small, ever since I got a 4" I hardly ever use anything larger any more. It's too convenient.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Interfacing with a mitutoyo is actually quite easy. In fact I'm prototyping a mitu to bluetooth as a keyboard entry device for work. Our target price will be $170 with RS-232, Mitu and Starret support.
http://imageshack.us/a/img818/7474/201301171802151.jpg

I work with gages all F'ing day long. Just buy a damn Mitutoyo, Sylvac, or Starret. Sylvac with opto-rs232 is the easiest to interface. These cheap china break. Also, they don't use an open collector with a resistor so leaving a cable plugged in fries them. (when you bring it low to initiate a data request you short circuit the fucker) I've gone through 15-20 trying to interface them in long term reliability testing. You can get a 90's mitutoyo with spc out for about 60 on ebay and it will last a life time and be accurate. mitu's sense movement when they are off so no zeroing. Also every time you close the caliper to 0 it will read 0.

Last edited:
can you post a link for the cable to these? They guy that last ordered them has since left here and I can't find them.

@dmin, this is a construct kit kinda deal, not a ready solution. Then again, your only parts are a pref board/bread board, 2 transistors, some wire, 2 resistors, and a microcontroller along with the about $21 cost of the caliper sets.

Cable with high performance caliper
http://www.bgmicro.com/digitalcaliperwithdataoutputport.aspx

stuff for arduino
http://www.green-trust.org/digimatic/

Stuff for MSP430
http://e2e.ti.com/group/microcontrollerprojects/m/msp430microcontrollerprojects/373480.aspx

Last edited:
I bought 4 of the 10" tires last time they went for $3.99. My grill and my generator are rollin' on fine rubber now!

Interfacing with a mitutoyo is actually quite easy. In fact I'm prototyping a mitu to bluetooth as a keyboard entry device for work. Our target price will be $170 with RS-232, Mitu and Starret support.
http://imageshack.us/a/img818/7474/201301171802151.jpg

I work with gages all F'ing day long. Just buy a damn Mitutoyo, Sylvac, or Starret. Sylvac with opto-rs232 is the easiest to interface. These cheap china break. Also, they don't use an open collector with a resistor so leaving a cable plugged in fries them. (when you bring it low to initiate a data request you short circuit the fucker) I've gone through 15-20 trying to interface them in long term reliability testing. You can get a 90's mitutoyo with spc out for about 60 on ebay and it will last a life time and be accurate. mitu's sense movement when they are off so no zeroing. Also every time you close the caliper to 0 it will read 0.

How small can you get that and what is your expected time to market? I'm thinking I need one for my depth mics, one for my calipers, and one for the height gage. I'm sure I can sell it to the boss.

How small can you get that and what is your expected time to market? I'm thinking I need one for my depth mics, one for my calipers, and one for the height gage. I'm sure I can sell it to the boss.

Our initial drawings are 2.5x1.6x0.8 IN

I plan to make a mock up be February then testing Certification and PCB manufacturing puts us in the summer at best. Since we don't know the market. The first ones will be hand made by yours truly. We are having issues with inference next to 440v machinery. That and battery life is a current snag. The first version will use 3 AAA batteries and we expect 24 hours of ON time.

Also, Mitutoyo is being a bastard with cable pricing. So far, we have to buy the cables at retail then cut and splice to db9. Still early on but if your interested in getting a very rough "beta" PM me. I'll see what I can do.

Back