600 Series Vsync Issue Confirmed by Nvidia

rombat

n00b
Well looks like Nvidia have replicated the issue with some user have been complaining about and that is FPS dipping and not smooth like it should be. The dipping of FPS even happens when you are not even moving around and it is all due to the card's polling code. Quote from Nvidia Tech:

Quick update. We are still investigating this problem but unfortunately do not have a fix yet. Once I have any further update, I will make sure to let everyone know.

On 5/11/2012 Nvidia Tech wrote:

We are able to replicate issue. Only occurs on GTX 600 series. It is likely somehow caused by polling code in our drivers since it occurs on a cycle and should be fixed in a future driver.

If you want to read more about the problem go to Nividia official forum and find the thread:
VSYNC Causing HUGE stuttering problems 680

The great news is Nvidia has found out the issue and will fix it with future driver!

Interesting. I haven't noticed this too much myself but good to know they have a handle on the situation for those affected.

Finally. This is the reason I've had to stay on 300.83 drivers. Any branch of 301.xxx shows the stuttering. It even followed me through 3 different motherboards and 2 different CPUs. A new driver can't come soon enough.

It's always nice when they can replicate a problem and nail down a likely cause. Gives you hope they can fix it (even though I've never experienced it).

If it is an issue with all the 600 cards, then it is a good thing since the 670, if well stocked, are going to be very popular and this will force Nvidia to really polish their drivers.

That sucks.. although now that i think about it i've never noticed tearing on my 120hz monitor with a 118fps cap, with no vsync.

With 120hz display I can get away with leaving vync off for the time being. Looks like I'll need to avoid testing the adaptive vsync until the drivers fix this issue. Anyway there are few games that will exceed 120hz and cause tearing for me anyway.

With 120hz display I can get away with leaving vync off for the time being. Looks like I'll need to avoid testing the adaptive vsync until the drivers fix this issue. Anyway there are few games that will exceed 120hz and cause tearing for me anyway.
tearing occurs below refresh rate too.

tearing occurs below refresh rate too.

I've never seen it there unless it's a game bug or something. In those very rare case turn vsync off anyway as the game is tearing whether you cap your fps below your refresh rate or not.

I've never seen it there unless it's a game bug or something. In those very rare case turn vsync off anyway as the game is tearing whether you cap your fps below your refresh rate or not.
its not rare, not a bug and it happens all the time. it looks just as bad at 35 fps as it does at 70 fps. lol, I swear some of you people have to be blind to not see screen tearing below refresh rate. heck to me most games tear worse at low framerate than they do at insanely high framerates but it really depends on the actual game.

I wish I was one of the guys that couldn't see tearing. Its a curse when you can see it.

theres a reason why vsync is defaulted off in most games....
is that really a logical reason that we should not use it then? if that is even true then I guess I should just leave all of the other settings at default too? :rolleyes:

Yeah I complained about this here a few weeks ago to be told that it must be my computer etc. etc.

It happens with adaptive sync as well.

For nvidia to comment on the problem and replicate so easily means that it must be happening to every 600 series card.

I play with vsync on. It gets rid of tearing. With most LCD monitors nowadays being 60hz there is no point is no point in having the card render more frames than 60 a second. I have not noticed any stuttering on my 670 SLi setup though. I even just recently finished Mass Effect 2 on it, on of the games that is supposed to exhibit the issue.

I'm not sure if I am just not noticing it or if I don't have the issue. I fully expected to see stuttering when I bought my 670s after reading the 20 page stutter thread. Whatever the case I am glad I don't see it.

I play with vsync on. It gets rid of tearing.

You sure your not just blind like me? because, up until today I thought that vsync gets rid of tearing when it exceeds your monitor refresh rate. however apparently the popular notion in this thread now is that there is tearing in many games before vysnc is even involved that will cause your game to tear. So then what's the point of ever using vsync in games, if tearing occurs before vsync is involved. :p Maybe instead of enabling vsync we should all avoid good vision and corrective laser surgery for the eyes. :D

I believe tearing do occur when the FPS is below the refresh rate without vsync on.

We can see this easily with Adaptive vsync because we can easily compare the difference in area where the fps dips below 60 and vsync is automatically turned off. Tearing do occur. Its not really that obvious in my experience (when compared to above refresh rate tearing), but if you're looking out for it, you can see it.

I don't dispute that it happens, I don't notice it and think it's rare though. I play many games and haven't noticed it before. In another thread a few months ago, canondale showed a youtube video of metro 2033 where it was tearing before 60fps. I know it can happen but I attribute that to other issues possibly including;

Monitor Issues:monitor may have issues
Cable issues: Frequency/bandwidth issue with cable
Game Coding: Buggy game

Tearing can happen when the framerate is not equal to your monitor's refresh rate, so that means above and below.

The idea behind Adaptive VSync is you should choose settings that the card could normally do at or above your monitor's refresh rate and it will keep it as a constant 60 FPS. There is no advantage to going above your monitor's refresh rate, since it can cause tearing.

vsync leads to input lag? thats why ppl dont have it on..

Which can be fixed by using frame rate limiter of 59 with vsync. Tested this in world of warcraft and its a lot more responsive.

Which can be fixed by using frame rate limiter of 59 with vsync. Tested this in world of warcraft and its a lot more responsive.

That doesn't eliminate tearing though. It just depends what you are sensitive to - some people can't stand tearing but don't mind the input lag, and some people go the other way.

There's no tearing cause vsync is on.

Then triple buffering must also be on (either that or the FPS is actually dropping down to 30). I can't see any other way to run at 59 FPS and not get tearing. Either you can't see it, or it really isn't running at 59 FPS. At 59 FPS with Vsync off the tearing may be infrequent enough that you just don't notice it if it is somehow being turned off. Or, maybe WoW has built-in TB support.

Then triple buffering must also be on (either that or the FPS is actually dropping down to 30). I can't see any other way to run at 59 FPS and not get tearing. Either you can't see it, or it really isn't running at 59 FPS. At 59 FPS with Vsync off the tearing may be infrequent enough that you just don't notice it if it is somehow being turned off. Or, maybe WoW has built-in TB support.

Triple buffering is on, but tested both with it on and off and made no performance difference. Well hopefully someone can answer the question, I'm not convinced vsync is getting turned off otherwise that would be replicating adaptive vsync. And I can see tearing when below 60fps with adaptive vsync but not with fps limiter plus vsync.

Back