650w Seasonic FOCUS Gold enough for a 1080 and a 780 in the same rig?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Hello folks!

I recently picked up a cheap GTX 780 FE just.... because it was cheap. Originally I bought it for the extra PC in the family room, but now I'm seriously considering shoving it in my PC alongside my Asus Strix 1080. Obviously not for SLI, but I'm told that I can happily place two different Geforce cards in my machine for increased horsepower for CUDA-centric use like video rendering. Now that Vegas has NVENC support that really works, I was thinking the CUDA cores in that extra 780 could really come in handy for reducing my video rendering times and speed things along in my burgeoning Youtube video making hobby.

So I'm wondering if my new Seasonic FOCUS Gold 650w PSU could handle the stress of the system with both the 1080 and 780 chugging away at video rendering. Now I've been doing this stuff for 25+ years and my spidey sense says "Yes, Jason, the Seasonic is a solid unit and should be up to the task, although it would be a close shave." but sometimes it's nice to get opinions from your peers. :)

The other full system specs are in my sig, but I'll round them out here anyway:

Intel Core i7-7700k on a Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
2x16GB G'Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 512GB 850 EVO SSDs
1x 2TB Seagate 7200rpm spinner
1x 3TB Seagate 7200rpm spinner
Tt Riing Floe 240 Closed Loop Cooler on the CPU

It will eek by if you keep everything at stock. The 780 is a 250 watt card, and the 1080 is a 200 watt card, approximately. Throw in the rest of your system, which is around 150-200 watts, and you're sitting right at 600-650 watts. Of course, your workload shouldn't peg the CPU at 100% full time, so your actual power usage would likely be less than that.

I really need to invest in a Kill-a-watt meter one of these days...

My system seemed to handle both cards just fine, but it was a lost cause anyway since Magix Vegas 15 seems unable to leverage the NVENC on more than one card simultaneously. So I'm thinking I'll replace the GTX 660 in the guest / kid's gaming PC with the GTX 780, and then shove the GTX 660 into my rig as a PhysX card for the few titles that support it. The PSU should definitely be able to handle that with no sweat. Thanks for all the input though guys, it's much appreciated! :)

I have had success in running dual OC GPUs plus OC FX CPU on high quality 620W-650W PS in the last 10 yrs. The 620W PS is 10 yrs old unrated Corsair HX 620. (;

I was hoping a 650 would be enough for a G4400 and 2 1080ti's....

I was hoping a 650 would be enough for a G4400 and 2 1080ti's....

It might work. 550 watts for the GPUs, about 50 watts for the CPU, and 50 watts for everything else assuming a bare minimum system.

Not saying you should do it or that it is a good idea, but in a pinch it can work.

Hello folks!

I recently picked up a cheap GTX 780 FE just.... because it was cheap. Originally I bought it for the extra PC in the family room, but now I'm seriously considering shoving it in my PC alongside my Asus Strix 1080. Obviously not for SLI, but I'm told that I can happily place two different Geforce cards in my machine for increased horsepower for CUDA-centric use like video rendering. Now that Vegas has NVENC support that really works, I was thinking the CUDA cores in that extra 780 could really come in handy for reducing my video rendering times and speed things along in my burgeoning Youtube video making hobby.

So I'm wondering if my new Seasonic FOCUS Gold 650w PSU could handle the stress of the system with both the 1080 and 780 chugging away at video rendering. Now I've been doing this stuff for 25+ years and my spidey sense says "Yes, Jason, the Seasonic is a solid unit and should be up to the task, although it would be a close shave." but sometimes it's nice to get opinions from your peers. :)

The other full system specs are in my sig, but I'll round them out here anyway:

Intel Core i7-7700k on a Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
2x16GB G'Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 512GB 850 EVO SSDs
1x 2TB Seagate 7200rpm spinner
1x 3TB Seagate 7200rpm spinner
Tt Riing Floe 240 Closed Loop Cooler on the CPU
Check outer vision PSU calculator webapp. They should be enough. But you might have undervolt a bit. Also a PSU loses 3-5% capacity every year due usage. So if your PSU is old, you may need to upgrade because of tht reason.

Check outer vision PSU calculator webapp. They should be enough. But you might have undervolt a bit. Also a PSU loses 3-5% capacity every year due usage. So if your PSU is old, you may need to upgrade because of tht reason.

Where did you heat that they lose 3-5% capacity...never heard that before, is there any data to back it up?

It used to say at the outervision PSU calculator where it showed the result of year calculation. But it looks like they removed it now.

interesting...definitely something people would want to know if it's true. A quick google search shows some forum posts about it...no evidence that shows actual rates but does confirm the theory and fact that components do degrade over time.

interesting...definitely something people would want to know if it's true. A quick google search shows some forum posts about it...no evidence that shows actual rates but does confirm the theory and fact that components do degrade over time.

[H]OCP did a study with an old power supply. 7 year old Silverstone Olympia 1000 watt, unable to output a full 1000 watts and ripple out of spec at 750 watts. Then again, sample size of one and it wasn't a very high quality PSU to begin with.

I use the warranty length as my basis. If the warranty is 5 years, I can expect it to output full load and remain in spec 5 years from now. 10 years means minimum 10 years life expectancy, and so on.

Back