65w vs 125w cpu. Difference in heat?

[CaM]Spoon

Limp Gawd
Hi. Im kinda concerned about how much heat my computer generates as it is in my bedroom and nothing is more nerve wreaking then being hot :)

Im wondering is there actually a difference in how much output of heat a 65w cpu generates compaired to a 125w? I know of course it does but im wondering does it have in effect on room tempature?

Ok im not sure if im being a total dumbass then.

Just wondered if the fan had control of that heat and really that extra 60 watt wont have effect on room tempature.

Unfortunately, there is no technology that will make the heat "go away." The best we can do today is move it around. This is called the "second law of thermodynamics." You might look it up sometime :)

Anyhow--no matter how you choose to cool your CPU, be it with a fan, water, phase etc, your room will still warm up unless you actively direct the heat outside somehow.

There is a decent amount more.

A "stock" fan would have to run on full to keep it at decent temps. You can forget about OCing.

If you kept your windows closed and were running the PC on full load all day then I'd bet you'd notice a difference between the 2, however, since PC's spent most of the time idling, I doubt you'd actually notice a difference.

if your looking for the "what does that mean to my room temp." .. yes, you can notice that if you are near the machine, not a lot circulation, and it is on and running full bore all day.

Off a good part of the time (or sleeping) and used for "teh email" and you're likely not going to notice.

Either way, it sure isn't likely to be the thing that decides if your room is too warm or not.

js

Thanks, you guys are awsome.
Think im gonna go with the 65nm 5000 x2 cpu.
Im gonna be playing games and watching movies in my room so its gonna run heavy load.

I thought my old 939 3500 cpu ran hotter then 125w but in fact it runs at 89 i think and from what i remember it got hot in my room. Dont mind it in the winter but in summer didnt enjoy touching the computer at all (even though should be outside in summer, lol)

A BTU is a measure of heat output, and a watt will generate a BTU, IIRC 3.4 BTU per watt.

And it doesn't matter the source of the wattage, be it a fluorescent light, refrerigerator, monitor or PC. Do the math :)

I wouldn't worry about room temperature at all.

It will heat up the room (additionally) the same amount that a 60 watt light would, which is to say not very much.

No, but a 125W CPU cranks out some significant heat if you do leave it under load. I had a B3 Quad running Folding@Home for the summer, and my room spent more than a week solid at over 100F. Keep in mind, it was barely touching 90F outside. Lucky me, I LOVE the heat! :D

Well i just got home from computer store and I ended up buying the 5600 :)
Its not 65 watt but at least its not 125 :)
155 cdn... cant complain.

One thing i just noticed now though looking at the cpu the code number is
ADA5600IAA6CZ which i just read is the code for the oem version yet i bought a retail version (sealed)
Whats up with that?
On websites it says retail has ADA5600CZBOX on the chip.

Is this something odd or something to ignor?

Yes the SN number matches the box and the chip just that ADA code is different. On box says the box at end but cpu says the 6CZ. Guess its nothing. Just got little curious just becuase the price was to good to be true at a little local computer store.

Im installing this bad boy!

As long as the SN matches, you're fine. If AMD gives you trouble about it not being boxed, just snap a pic of the barcode.

If you kept your windows closed and were running the PC on full load all day then I'd bet you'd notice a difference between the 2, however, since PC's spent most of the time idling, I doubt you'd actually notice a difference.

Minus those of us with multiple pc's folding. :D I have two quads and a X2 in my living room folding near 24/7.

Another interesting frame of reference is the power output of a human: around 100 watts.

So if things start to heat up you can just send someone out of the room which will more than compensate for the increased wattage (unless it's just you in there, in which case you can leave and use vpn).

Back