6700K in stock (US)

Only took a fucking month and a half :(

That said, , much better turnaround time than Broadwell-C :D

Only took a fucking month and a half :(

That said, , much better turnaround time than Broadwell-C :D

It was roughly what I expected. A week or 2 before gamescon I'd read reports that they probably wouldn't come out until IDF (other than limited amounts for people at Gamescon and it seems like most chips are somewhat limited for the first month or so (and reports said that was likely too).

I actually could have picked one up 3 weeks ago, but I hadn't really looked at MB's yet, and by the time I decided (several hours later ;)) they were sold out.

Happy with my 4790k build. When i'm ready to upgrade my IO stuff again i'll move forward.

Skylake and the gougers can take a hike.

Bougth a processor for my father in law in Sweden, this friday. He had the choice of 6600K, 6700K and 6700, all readily availble to take home. We got the 6700 as he doesn't like to overclock. :)

I didn't feel like waiting so I ended up going with a 6600k a few weeks ago. Don't regret it for a minute. You really can't lose either way. Easy 1100MHz overclock with the 6600k.

Got a 6700K from Tiger Direct. 100% stable at 4.6GHz/2666MHz/1.32v on ASUS Z170-A.

Have another on the way from Newegg.

Well, the ram, heatsink and processor are here. :) One more day to wait for the motherboard that shipped from the west coast.

I'm really wishing I had waited for the platform to mature some or at the very least chose a different board. This stupid Asus Maximus VIII Ranger seems to be the red headed stepchild of all of the other ROG boards. The BIOS/UEFI is quirky on a good day... and Asus still hasn't released a UEFI that fixes the damn resume from sleep problem.

The G'Skill DDR4 3000mhz RAM that I was forced to buy as part of the Newegg combo (along with that Ranger) doesn't run stable at near it's 3000mhz rated speed, and G'Skill swears it's Asus fault for not updating their UEFI, and they insist that this kit is capable of speeds well beyond 3000mhz.

I'm not pissing and moaning for the sake of pissing and moaning, I'm just saying that those of you who waited might have had the right idea. :)

I'm really wishing I had waited for the platform to mature some or at the very least chose a different board. This stupid Asus Maximus VIII Ranger seems to be the red headed stepchild of all of the other ROG boards. The BIOS/UEFI is quirky on a good day... and Asus still hasn't released a UEFI that fixes the damn resume from sleep problem.

The G'Skill DDR4 3000mhz RAM that I was forced to buy as part of the Newegg combo (along with that Ranger) doesn't run stable at near it's 3000mhz rated speed, and G'Skill swears it's Asus fault for not updating their UEFI, and they insist that this kit is capable of speeds well beyond 3000mhz.

I'm not pissing and moaning for the sake of pissing and moaning, I'm just saying that those of you who waited might have had the right idea. :)

Hope that doesn't apply to the Hero, though I couldn't get 3000 ram in 8GB sticks the day I ordered, so I got 2400. As I recall, Dan or Kyle said it doesn't matter much this time around.

just return the board and mem and get something else. you can still keep the chip

My 6700k showed up already. TY warehouse in the same state.

Too bad the mobo decided to come from the polar opposite end of the country and won't show up until Friday.

Ive had 3 processors "6700k" and two sets of high end memory with my Maximus Hero.
Not a issue yet Im very happy. Feels plenty mature to me :D

What'd you do with the 2 that you're not using?

1st 6700k 4.7 1.42 vcore after a week cracked under the Delidded IHS from the pressure of the block. Its a nice key chain now

2nd 6700k Like being at 4.6 Memory 3200mhz 1.34 IO AUTO VA AUTO , but wanted more vcore to hit 4.7 but ran super cool and is still lidded

3rd is being worked on now Im trying to find a nice binned 6700k that runs low vcore stable 4.7

6700K Delidded Die crack

1st 6700k 4.7 1.42 vcore after a week cracked under the Delidded IHS from the pressure of the block. Its a nice key chain now

2nd 6700k Like being at 4.6 Memory 3200mhz 1.34 IO AUTO VA AUTO , but wanted more vcore to hit 4.7 but ran super cool and is still lidded

3rd is being worked on now Im trying to find a nice binned 6700k that runs low vcore stable 4.7

6700K Delidded Die crack
http://s84.photobucket.com/user/chr...I Hero/20150917_204640-1_zpslqv4kxcx.jpg.html

So when people delid they don't just change the TIM and put the lid back on? I'd read that that alone was enough to lower the temp on CPUs (not skylake specific) by several degrees (unless I misunderstood the post..wherever it was.)

Yes if you hang around the other overclock sites that discuss delidding CPUs all the time, the consensus is that for Skylake in particular your best option is to put some very high end thermal compound under the IHS such as CLU then set it back on before putting your cooler back on it.

A few people are running "naked" dies, but even they are reporting that the core is VERY easy to crack, and beyond that it's difficult to make sure your block is pushing evenly to get all the springy pins behind the CPU to make even proper contact.

You can drop the temp of the core by a good solid 10C or so by putting better compound on underneath and putting it back.

Also, even with a good water block overclock results have not really improved running without the IHS vs. with it.

Based on everything I've read? I would absolutely delid it and change the paste if you want the best temps possible, but would absolutely NOT leave the IHS off. No way.

So when people delid they don't just change the TIM and put the lid back on? I'd read that that alone was enough to lower the temp on CPUs (not skylake specific) by several degrees (unless I misunderstood the post..wherever it was.)
Delidding s necessary some cpu due to contact with the IHS and die and on some not needed at all. But I had done the procedure more than a dozen times with the same block and I always put the IHS back on because the bare die is not always easy the get all the pins to sit correctly because of the pressure directed to the middle of cpu.But on that 6700k I installed the IHS back and had a great week with a lot of passed 8 hour benches but then all sudden My asus hero viii would not boot and error coded 0d after troubleshooting with Raja@ASUS he had suggested after a bios update flashback that if error still occured it was the cpu. Long story short look at picture :(

You have to be really careful with CLU. It is conductive and if you put on too much, some may leak out over time and short something on your mobo.

Delidding s necessary some cpu due to contact with the IHS and die and on some not needed at all. But I had done the procedure more than a dozen times with the same block and I always put the IHS back on because the bare die is not always easy the get all the pins to sit correctly because of the pressure directed to the middle of cpu.But on that 6700k I installed the IHS back and had a great week with a lot of passed 8 hour benches but then all sudden My asus hero viii would not boot and error coded 0d after troubleshooting with Raja@ASUS he had suggested after a bios update flashback that if error still occured it was the cpu. Long story short look at picture :(

I was getting ready tonight to delid my 6700k that won't take even the slightest of overclock, to go along with a new waterblock I'm swapping in. Now I'm feeling real secure with this decision. :p

This makes me feel better about mine running at 4.7 with 1.35 volts. Highest I've seen it hit was 67 C in stress testing.

Maybe newegg.ca has some too!!

*checks stock at all Canadian retailers*

NOPE. still listed as preorder or "coming soon" at every Canadian retailer.

Fuck. I can't ever remember a launch being this bad. We're close to two months in, and stock is still nonexistent in Canada.

I've had the same experience, no one around here has any either. I'd care more if the IPC was better. The i5, you can get, at least Canada Computers had a couple last time I was there.

I was getting ready tonight to delid my 6700k that won't take even the slightest of overclock, to go along with a new waterblock I'm swapping in. Now I'm feeling real secure with this decision. :p

Yeah, from that wall of text I've managed to discern that even though he put the IHS back after de-lidding and appying new TIM, he still managed to crack the die.

I was considering delidding my 6700K with the intentions of applying new thermal paste, but I guess I'll scrap that idea now.

I built a thing... coming from a q6600 and 4gb of ram, feels good man.

Probably just wait until a new GPU till I start OCing. I have a 7870 atm which should last until the next hotness, given that I have a 120hz 1680x1050 monitor.

I have a Gigabyte Gaming 7 whatever the fuck it's called. W10 somehow failed to install the network driver and I had to put the driver disk in, which is surprisingly shit. Does a $200 mobo really need to ask me if I want to install GOOGLE TOOLBAR???

G4gNDRS.png

Probably just wait until a new GPU till I start OCing. I have a 7870 atm which should last until the next hotness, given that I have a 120hz 1680x1050 monitor.

I have a Gigabyte Gaming 7 whatever the fuck it's called. W10 somehow failed to install the network driver and I had to put the driver disk in, which is surprisingly shit. Does a $200 mobo really need to ask me if I want to install GOOGLE TOOLBAR???

G4gNDRS.png

Why would you use the driver disk at all? How about just download the driver from the Gigabyte.us site like I did, no problems.

Why would you use the driver disk at all? How about just download the driver from the Gigabyte.us site like I did, no problems.

because that would require me to go to the computer downstairs, download it off that to a flash drive, then come back upstairs

aka a lot of work vs me sitting here and putting a cd in

http://i.imgur.com/G4gNDRS.png

I had the same issue with an Asus Hero...no toolbar, but it really wanted me to install Chrome (which I may do, eventually, if Edge sucks, because I like to have a backup browser).

Fry's in Las Vegas has them in stock.

I suspect everyone will have them most of the time from now on. Microcenter in Dallas has them now too. Perhaps the deal was that they were putting most production effort in to non k processors and shipping them to OEMs. Isn't October when lots of PCs are supposed to come out?

I'm a bit surprised that Amazon doesn't have them, though the secondary market price has dropped to 384 shipped.

It's nice that these cpu's are getting out. They bring back the fun in overclocking :) Tweaking Time

I had the same issue with an Asus Hero...no toolbar, but it really wanted me to install Chrome (which I may do, eventually, if Edge sucks, because I like to have a backup browser).

IE is still in Windows 10. Just not the default browser. So technically there's still a backup.

IE is still in Windows 10. Just not the default browser. So technically there's still a backup.

Yeah I guess I could use that too. I actually think I'm going to run 7 or 8 in a VM for web browsing. That way I can undo any changes every time I close the VM....only have to save when I patch. Just seems like a good way to keep things relatively clean. Still use FF and IE unless I decide to use Chrome.

It's great seeing all the price gougers have to drop their prices now that Newegg has these in stock. The tears must be flowing now that they can't sell them for $500+ anymore.

It's great seeing all the price gougers have to drop their prices now that Newegg has these in stock. The tears must be flowing now that they can't sell them for $500+ anymore.

At 500+, I have to believe the informed would have just gone out and bought a 5930k instead.

I just grabbed one off Amazon for $350 and Prime shipping. Says there's one left if anyone wants it.

edit: Gona. Back up to $409.

Last edited:
Back