6700k vs 5930k

Anemone

Gawd
So for reasons beyond my control I need to replace my I7-950. My uses vary, but almost always I have many things going on at any given time.

I will not overcook, so for me the 5930 is in the mix as the best clocked core of the 6's

I'm quite enamored of the 3.1 USB slots on the 170 boards so to some degree the "whole package" matters. SSD will be Intel 750 nvme. Video done by dual GTX 980's. I have a half dozen other drives for various purposes, so connectivity matters. I plan to toss 32GB of ram on there because I can and with VM's it'll get used.

While cost is a factor (have no interest in the 5960) the difference in pricing of the 6700 to 5930 isn't a big deal for me.

So with no OC which would you go with?

Since you like your processors 'al dente' go with Skylake. Faster base clock and slightly higher IPC. Spend the 200 in savings on some high quality fast DDR4.

I would go with the 5930K. If you're going to be running enough VMs to use up 32GB of RAM, then 6 cores would be much more of an advantage than 4. You will also be able to bump that up to 64GB in the future if you wish.

I don't know if the next gen of workstation i7s will be compatible with the 2011-3 socket, but if they are then that's even more reason to go with the 5930K.

a modest overclock with rock solid stability on the 5930k will get the same clock as the 6700k. And at that point you might as well get the 5820k.

For rigs that aren't overclocked the assumption is the usage for 100% stability instead of 99%, then get a Xeon with ecc ram.

k chips are for overclockers :cool:

Done. Went 5930K. Can OC a touch if needed. System has a good water cooler (custom) so should not be a heat issue. Hadn't thought about the ability to drop in another 32 of ram. It's a good option to have if a bit over the top. I like it.

Thanks much

Back