6770 or 5770?

beautypc

BAD TRADER
I'm looking for a card good enough to play BF3 on 1280x1024 resolution with at least 60-70 FPS at mediocre settings?

Which of the 2 cards would suit best?

Ok, makes sense. Which would you reccommend for a good card that won't break the bank but will leave me satisfied in achieving decent settings and frames playing BF3?

If you can get a 560 ti, a 6950 would be good but a bit more than 150.

a 6870 should be in that range, would be an OK choice as well.

is it better to go with modern cards of 6000 series and up or would older cards like a gtx 285 do?

You can find GTX 460's for like $100 or less. I have seen GTX 550 ti's for less than $90 lately and I have seen 5770/6770's(they are both the same chip) for $70AR.

If you want to spend $150 you can but, you play at relatively low resolutions like I do, I am not sure it would benefit much. If you want to spend $150, you can easily find 6870's for under that price or a newer gen card. I dont play BF3 so I am unfamiliar with the performance, I do own a 5770 though. I love my 5770, I got it for $60 used on forums.... The only thing I dont like about AMD cards are their drivers. : /

Yea I won't play much but i don't want crap performance when I do and I don't need best of the best..

I'll search around for 460's and such... thanks for giving me a starting point to begin some research.

Some of the vanilla first generation HD5770s are easier for over clocking when you unlock the BIOS for voltage adjustments.

Sapphire 6870 $153 on newegg with the current code. With a free Dirt 3 download coupon. Afaik there is no better value right now.

Some of the vanilla first generation HD5770s are easier for over clocking when you unlock the BIOS for voltage adjustments.

This is almost unanamously true for AMD video cards, the reference boards are spectacular; excellent VRM, quality caps, serious coolers. And then the board-parters "retrofit to spec"; they push cards that will deliver the promised frequencies, but typically with far less OC headroom and usually without the cool BIOS features that allow you to "unlock" your GPU in the first place.

Speaking to "is old enthusiast better than new mainstream"? Between generations of the same architecture, GPUreview.com almost always has a good answer: whoever has more of those bold numbers is the winner. When you try to compare across architectures (X series to HD series, or Nvidia to AMD), things get much more difficult.

AMD even said it themselves upon 6 series realease.
The new badging of cards went along like I said.
Dont make me go digging for links to prove this......

They changed the 5870 sucessor to 6970, and added in a new series as the 6850/70. The 5770 is really the same thing as a 6770.

5770 - 6770, 800 Shader Core
6850,960 Shader Core
6870 - 5830, 1120 Shader Core
6950, 1408 Shader core
5850, 1440 Shader core
6970, 1536 Shader core
5870, 1600 Shader core.

Remember, the 6k series were designed for 32nm, TSMC skipped that node, so AMD cut the chips down and reworked them for 40nm. Also, Below the 6850, AMD rebadged the 5 series, and added some software updates for the HTPC cards.

OP at your budget the best choice is a HD6870. Newegg and Amazon have been running promos with rebates and free shipping for $130. If they aren't active right now, just wait, they come back live again mid week (just check slickdeals.net).

AMD even said it themselves upon 6 series realease.
The new badging of cards went along like I said.
Dont make me go digging for links to prove this......

We are all dumber for reading that post.

All im saying is what AMD claimed at realease, that with 6 series there was gonna be rearragning of the line up and that equivalent to 5870 would be 6970 and same goes for 5770 thats its equivalent on the scale would be 6870. ANd yes what you mentioned may have same specs, but im mentioning AMDs TARGET AUDIENCE OF THE LINEUP. You know, low range, mid range, high range and enthusiast.

All im saying is what AMD claimed at realease, that with 6 series there was gonna be rearragning of the line up and that equivalent to 5870 would be 6970 and same goes for 5770 thats its equivalent on the scale would be 6870. ANd yes what you mentioned may have same specs, but im mentioning AMDs TARGET AUDIENCE OF THE LINEUP. You know, low range, mid range, high range and enthusiast.

Here you go dude: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4296/amds-radeon-hd-6770-radeon-hd-6750-the-retail-radeon-5700-rebadge

Not sure what the relevance is on what AMD stated upon release. Is that what youre arguing here? Why would anyone care what they stated upon release, especially when its not true? Either you are mistaken, the article you read was mistaken, or AMD posted incorrect info. A 5770 is almost identical to a 6770 which are both quite a bit slower than a 6870. There is no way it is remotely similar in performance.

I'm guessing the confusion here is regarding how the 68xx series replaced the 57xx in terms of market position. So they are equivalents in terms of market positioning by AMD within their respective generation.

The 6770 has some slight (very slight) improvements over the 5770 although the actual GPU design is identical hardware wise.

Back