6800 GS Screwed?

cupholder2.0

Limp Gawd
My system has been working fine for a couple months now, its an overclocked PD950 and it ran fine. Today I turned on my comp and I smelled something burning and it was a very strong smell. I quicky turned the system off and inspected it and decided everything was fine. When i rebooted, the system got into windows and ran normally however, the nVIdia drivers reported that my 6800 GS is not getting enough power and it has been underclocked to avoid damage. I tried 3 different PCI-E power cables and the problem presists. I have an Antec TruePower 480 Watt so I doubt its my PSU.

coulda been the power connection on the card itself being fried. Warranty?

cupholder2.0 said:
My system has been working fine for a couple months now, its an overclocked PD950 and it ran fine. Today I turned on my comp and I smelled something burning and it was a very strong smell. I quicky turned the system off and inspected it and decided everything was fine. When i rebooted, the system got into windows and ran normally however, the nVIdia drivers reported that my 6800 GS is not getting enough power and it has been underclocked to avoid damage. I tried 3 different PCI-E power cables and the problem presists. I have an Antec TruePower 480 Watt so I doubt its my PSU.

What makes you so sure the PSU is fine?? Thats the first place i would look, Try and find a friend or something with a working power supply and test it.

Yeah, I am gonna try this on a friends system. But I have 3 extra power supplies anyway. So I will try those as well. This card is an eVGA, so it has lifetime warranty.

I would freak out if I smelt strong burn and my computer was still running lol. Do you see any burn marks on the 6800GS?

See what part of your PC smells.
If the general smell is too strong to locate the part, remove the parts, waft air round them and see which is the smelliest in a different room

Chernobyl1 said:
See what part of your PC smells.
If the general smell is too strong to locate the part, remove the parts, waft air round them and see which is the smelliest in a different room

I second that

Chernobyl1 said:
...and see which is the smelliest in a different room...

Taken out of context, you can barely tell we're talking about computers!

Two things to try, of course, is card in a different computer, and different power source in yours, and do try both, even if the first one turns out to be the problem. Sometimes one problem (ie power supply) could have caused both problems.

-Ashley

cupholder2.0 said:
My *first* thought is the power supply. Release the magic smoke out of a capacitor in the PS and that's what can happen.

Try a new PS first. Not a new video card (unless it's also a power-hungry PCIE card) cause if it works fine, then you don't know any more than you started.

lol @ JackAshley

The danger with plugging burnt parts in another machine is it can take that machine out too.
Please dont put your PSU in someone elses PC if that is the smelliest thing.

not to steal the thread...but I just acquired a possibly burnt out cd-rw drive...it aint gonna hurt to test it out in my machine, is it??

-Ashley

JackAshley said:
not to steal the thread...but I just acquired a possibly burnt out cd-rw drive...it aint gonna hurt to test it out in my machine, is it??

-Ashley

If it's the powersupply though thats faulty then it could be sending wrong voltages to components. If it's sending say 13v instead of 12v on the +12v line then it could fry the components in the computer he put that ps in.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am currently kind of busy with work so it will probably be sometime before I can get to test my hardware agian. However, I am curious about how eVGA and Antec handle RMA's. Any information on this? Both the Graphic card and the power supply are about 8 months old.

UPDATE:

My friend tried his 7600GT on my system and it worked fine. I also found a small burn mark on the back of my 6800 GS. Looks like I will be RMAing. This is my first time actually doing an RMA. Who should I send it to? Newegg or eVGA?

JackAshley said:

It is a risk.
I recommend completely unplugging the PSU from your PC, plugging it into the drive and hotwiring the psu to turn on by connecting the green wire to black on the big connector.
If the psu remains on and the drive doesnt start to smoke you are less likely to hurt anything in your PC.

Im packing my 6800 GS to be sent to eVGA. I am currently using a PCI GeForce4 MX 420 LOL, I ran CS:Source at lowest setting and got 20 fps so I guess no games for sometime.

Chernobyl1 said:
It is a risk.
I recommend completely unplugging the PSU from your PC, plugging it into the drive and hotwiring the psu to turn on by connecting the green wire to black on the big connector.
If the psu remains on and the drive doesnt start to smoke you are less likely to hurt anything in your PC.

Thanx! Did the above, worked well! Much thanx for the idea!

Now lets just hope the 6800 comes back good as new...and hope it was the card, and not the PSU that fried the card...

-Ashley

Back