6800 Ultra OC/ w 420 PSU

Ruhl

Limp Gawd
I Ordered this card yesterday and i read the requirements before hand about having a 480 W PSU.

Do you really ned the 480. I have a Antec 420 Watt right now.. is that acceptable, And Wil it work to the cards limits?

CrimandEvil said:
You want a PSU with atleast/more then 20A on the 12v line.

Unless you have dual 12V rails :D

The amp rating on your 12V line should be in the specs, just google your psu and look for a review or something.

By looking at your PSU and seeing how much you have on the 12v line or post a newegg link and I'll tell you.

An Antec 420w PSU will be plenty. The minimum requirements for a 6800U is 350w not 480w. 480w is the suggested size but the main reason for that is most people have generic PSU's installed and they put out much lower power then what their rated for.

You can go to Antec's site or read the sticker on the side of your PSU to see how many amps its rated for on the 12V line.

an antec 420 is fine. have read them running ultras fine, but i have seen generics even above 480w die because of the ultra. as long as its fine quality, you will be fine with anything above 400, have seen some have problems with even antecs below 400

psu.JPG

Heres a pic of it, Sorry the image aint to good .Im not sure if i am reading it right, thanks in advance

And it is not a Antec like i thought originally.

heres a link

http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ps-hpc420102df.htm

It says 16A which is under the "sweet spot" get a new/good PSU or give it a try...but I wouldn't bet on it.

You could keep it and get a seperate ~300w PSU and use that to power just the vid card. :D

All you have to do is look for the number right under +12V. It looks like 16A or something.

And i was just getting ready to say that its NOT an Antec. :)

go to the website. it says 18 amps for 12 volt line under specifications.

you're fine with that power supply.

Ruhl said:
so the 18 A would be enough to run it at full capacity?

Yes the 18 Amps would be enough to run it at full capacity.

It ither runs or it doesn't. If you dont have enough power then the system will crash.

What you have looks to be a generic PSU though so i would consider upgradeing the PSU considering your getting ready to lay down alot of money on a video card. Antec, Enermax, Fortron, Thermaltake, Vantec, Tagan, and Sparkle are all good brands.

Ruhl said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-152&depa=1

What about OCZ, they seem like a good brand with good reviews.

OCZ is the last company i would buy a PSU from.

They have a horrible reputation and are just starting to gain it back now by supplying some quality overclockers RAM.

I would buy OCZ RAM but hardly anything else from them.

Stick with the brands i mentioned. The PSU is the most important piece of hardware in your system and it can destroy that new video card your getting.

ok cool, Im a stick with Antec then and get a 550 Watt PSU, thanks for the tip

BFG told me that my 380W Antec would be sufficient to run the 6800U OC

"The power supply you are using should be sufficient. However overclocking your card is not supported and may void the warranty. This should only be done at your own
risk."

Back