6800 Ultra to 7800 GTX largest leap in performance?

Chris Lakies

Limp Gawd
Opinions on the largest jump in inovations or performance from one generation card to the next.

I am an Nvidia fan but this can be for Radeons as well. :D

Nothing to my Monster 3D. you cannot beat that performance jump, since lim(y -> 0) X / Y = infinitiy

Screw NVIDIA :D
But i think you are right a the moment it is true, but it might be x850xt to x1800xt soon :)

Biggest jump in the history of gpu's...hmm. I'm not gonna include anything pre-geforce (ie gpu), but I'd say 8500/gf3 to 9700(and I "guess" fx series) was a huge jump. Ushered in AA and AF as playable settings at decent resolutions. The 9700/9800 are still usable cards in todays game market, and that says a lot about the original architecture leap.

I'd say the GF2 to GF3 was the biggest jump for me. That little GF3 chugged for quite some time in my old PC. :D

Heck no man...the biggest jump was from the onboard Rage "3d" chip to a 4mb Monster 3D, and being able to run GLQuake...I almost got naseous the first time I played REAL 3d graphics... :p

booyaah....voodoo 16MB (I think)>>>>>Ti4600>>>>>>6800 Ultra.......I still like the Ti4600 and use it once in a while. That Voodoo handled the early Papyrus Nascar racing series quite well too, and it was a pci card I believe. :D

IMHO, the biggest generational leap was from the ATi Radeon 8500 to the 9700, both from the standpoint of the hardware and the supporting software (drivers, I mean).

magoo said:
booyaah....voodoo 16MB (I think)>>>>>Ti4600>>>>>>6800 Ultra.......I still like the Ti4600 and use it once in a while. That Voodoo handled the early Papyrus Nascar racing series quite well too, and it was a pci card I believe. :D

I still have my TI4600 sitting in anti-static bag in my closet.
Man was it a good card to me!

Oh well, whatever. Technological innovations are judged flagship to flagship. So to say 9500np to 6800GT... well if this is jeopardy, I say Alex: "What was MY biggest jump?" Ding ding!

Oh well, who cares, but a few are answering some other question.

Geforce 2 MX 400 to 9800 pro. I'll be going to a 6800GT or GTO2 if it comes out for AGP.

The 9800Pro class to x800xtpe class was the bigest jump I've seen. Maybe the 9700/9800Pro gutting the Ti4600 or fx5800. Hard to pick. But ATi has lead in performance jumps for a long long time. The 6800U to 7800gtx is definitely not the biggest jump.

My personal biggest jump was my 9600xt to 850pro..

All time, I think the 9800xt to 850xtpe was the biggest.

Yea GF2 to GF4 Ti4600 was a big jump for me. I am just not seeing any difference with the GF6800 or 7800 in terms of performance except that these cards are faster at what they do and play games. I went from a gf4ti4600 to a 6600gt oc for bf2 and I don't see how my gf4 couldn't play this besides the sm3.0 support? bah

Not couting the early days when 3d graphics where unheard of, the biggest jump of modern day graphics cards Geforce 256 to Current, would probablly be the performance gap between the Geforce FX to the Geforce 6 series of cards.

Not sure, I mean the 9800XT compared the X800XT was substantial.

For myself, I went from a Voodoo 3 to a ATi Radeon 9800XT, lemme tell you, that was a tear jerker right there. And then I fried my 9800XT and went to a 9500 Pro, and from that to a 9800NP, and from that to a X800XL, and god I love this video card.

roninblade said:
I think i beat u all, 9800 pro to 7800GTX

I don't think that was the point intended by the OP, the question was what generation had the biggest leap in performance.

IE GF3 vs GF4 or GF4 vs GFX, and so on or its Ati counterparts

FX 5950U to 6800U. that was a HUGE jump for NV, going from a really shitty 4x2 core, that couldnt even do that very well, to an awesome 16x1 core.

my biggest leap was either from my gf2mx to the 9600p, or maybe from the 9600p to the 6800GT. i cant decide :p

lithium726 said:
FX 5950U to 6800U. that was a HUGE jump for NV, going from a really shitty 4x2 core, that couldnt even do that very well, to an awesome 16x1 core.

my biggest leap was either from my gf2mx to the 9600p, or maybe from the 9600p to the 6800GT. i cant decide :p

Well at least a few people read the OP, and answered his question, I do not know why I am complaining today, its nothing new.

Once again thanks lithium726, someone can finally read,

Radeon 8500 to Radeon 9700Pro felt like the biggest jump from one generation to the next for me.

Remembering with 4x AA and AF, the TI4600 was like 1/3 its speed. Even stronger at high resolution like 1600x1200.

Also NV next gen (or 6month+ late) 5800 FX Ultra couldnt match the 9700Pro with AA and AF till the 6800.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=1779&p=14

my personal biggest jump was going from a Geforce2 440MX to a 6800GT went from not being able to play anything, to playing everything maxxed out :D

UltimaParadox said:
Well at least a few people read the OP, and answered his question, I do not know why I am complaining today, its nothing new.

Once again thanks lithium726, someone can finally read,

lol yeah, I think the op was talking about the greatest jump in a company's history, not our own personal ones. But anyway, I'd have to say from GeForceFX 5950 Ultra (or whatever) to GeForce 6800 Ultra. New graphical stuff + about 100% more speed in one generation is pretty amazing.

The 6800U to 7800 GTX is also a pretty hefty gain as well though. I mean, it consumes less power and takes up a single slot with a very considerable performance increase. No new tech introduced this time around, but it's rate in price drops is also something worth taking notice. A pretty significant thing to see since there wasn't any competitor, and there still isn't as of right now, but that will change in the coming weeks.

I think one of the largest jumps was for ATi when they went from AiW to AiW that had 64MB of memory, you could watch all your VHS pr0n and play Half-Life at 70FPS!

Intel Extreme Graphics (on a Celeron 733) -> Radeon 9700 Pro. (on a Barton 2500+)

First of all, I could run things at a high resolution for the first time. Second, I could actually get framerates higher than god-awful (I used to play CS in OpenGL 800x600, and the maximum framerate I got at that resolution was 15 fps). Third, anti-aliasing totally blew my mind.

LabRat said:
IMHO, the biggest generational leap was from the ATi Radeon 8500 to the 9700, both from the standpoint of the hardware and the supporting software (drivers, I mean).

/thread

Back