6800GS vs. 6600GT vs. Waiting

PigCorpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I have a little dilemma...

Right now, I have the computer in my sig, with the eVGA 6600 256MB PCIe.

I have these three choices:

1. Buy a 6600GT and sell my 6600. Then upgrade when Vista comes.

As long as I can sell my 6600 for a decent price, this is a very cheap upgrade.

Also, when Vista comes, I probably won't even upgrade. At most, I'll upgrade to a mid-range card. No dual 8950GTX2s for me.

2. Trade my 6600 + cash for a 6800GS. Then have this card last a lot longer into Vista.

I'll probably not have to upgrade in a LONG time, even with Vista. This option is a lot more expensive then the previous, but guarantees that I can get rid of the 6600.

3. Wait

If DX10 is very important, I'll wait.

So what to do?

To go from a 6600 to anything else in the 6 series may not be the best use of your money. Is it worth the cost and time/trouble to get only a 5% boost in your FPS @1024/768? I'd hold on until the next cycle of cards is released - then you can get a nice 7800gt or 1900gt for around the same price and you'll be vastly improving your pipelines and overall technology.

I guess I'm having trouble tossing out advice since you're not exactly clear as to what you do with your rig. :confused:

Are you in a hurry to upgrade or can it wait?

I'd say hold out for a while. While CS:S is somewhat demanding, you're not really going to 'enjoy' the game a whole lot more going from a 6600 to a 6800gs. If you really want more eye-candy, then save up for the next generation.

More than likely, upgrading now won't increase the eye-candy, but will increase the fps by a small margin. Your call, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Yea, for css I would just wait.

The 6600 is a solid card. A 6800gs is an upgrade, but in your case where you wouldn't be upgrading again, I would wait off.

If you can, save up a little and get a 7900gt.. That will be a big increse in performance and would be fairly "future proof".

Wait, Wait, Wait....

You get no improvement foing from a 6600 to another 6 series card cept for a few nibbles.

If you want to see improvement, go for a next gen card. The 7800GT will fit the bill nicely if you can afford, but I have seen them on Procewatch for around $175

Good luck

Thanks for all the input guys!

The card I have can give me around 37fps in CS:S at 1280x1024, 4xAA/4xAF and Vsync on. I guess I really don't need a new card!

Back