6800GT and CS:S, not impressed!

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a BFG 6800GT OC and installed it correctly (dumped old ATI drivers, booted in safemode and ran driver cleaner, then installed 71.84 drivers back in Windows).

Okay, so that's all great. Temps coming out of install were around 68C GPU and 48C Ambient while idling. After overclocking to the detected sweet spot of 420mhz GPU and 1.1ghz memory I saw a temp drop of 5 degrees on the GPU and 5 degrees Ambient.

Before overclocking I ran CS:S stress test at 1024 x 768 with no FSAA or AF (but everything else in the video tab was high, like textures, reflections, etc), while using the "Performance" setting for IQ in the Nvidia driver and I got about 133fps. Then I tried it at 1280 x 1024 with 4xFSAA and 8xAF, and I got about 108fps.

Pretty good, right? Then I went in game and using the same settings as the second test (1280 x 1024, 4xFSAA, 8xAF, etc) I started playing a Dust2 map and then an Office map and then a Chateau map. I turned on net_graph in console and I was surprised to see my framerates fluxuating between 20 and 120fps. Vsync was off, and I had the fps_max set at 300 in the console. The framerates were around 30-70 about 90% of the time, and it's just not acceptable. WTF is going on with this card??? On Xbit labs they recorded the average framerate on Chateau with a system very similar to mine as 100fps AVERAGE. Not spiking to 100fps on rare ocassions like mine.

Is this normal? Or do I still need to tweak some things?

Also, are my temps okay? Several people I've heard only have around 50C or 55C for the idle GPU temp, where mine is 63C. That's a good 8C+ more than others. Would buying a case fan to go in my case window and blowing right on the video card help? Which position should it blow on (between the AGP card and other PCI cards, right at the AGP card, or between the CPU and AGP card)?

On the other hand, my 3d Mark 2003 seems to be fine. At 1024x768 with no FSAA or AF, and Performance IQ on the Nvidia driver, I got around 11300 in 3D Mark 2003 which seems right. My aperature size is 256mb in the BIOS, and fast writes are off. I even tried flipping the fast writes on, it didn't really change anything.

Input?

^^ what he said...and just because their system ran that high of an FPS...does not mean you will
remember, on most of those reviews they have fresh installs of windows with NOTHING else but the drivers and games installed (and the approriate programs such as FRAPS)

so they will get more frames

check your background programs, see if anythings running tats taking up alot of CPU time and/or alot of memory

also. if xbits CPU was more powerful than yours it would have an adverse affect on CS:S since it is very CPU intensive

Very true on that last point. Usually review sites use the best CPU's. Athlon FX55's and P4 EE's round out there benchmarks. It's uncommon for them to use anything lower than say a 4000+ or a 3800+ or in the case of Intel CPU's a 3.6GHz or 3.8GHz or less.

They never show you mendium end hardware or even medium high. Always the best or damn well close to it. Not to mention so called timedemos and stress tests built into games don't always match your actual in game performance.

Not to crap and just as a comparision my system in my sig turns 93.2fps with these settings

Mostly everything on HIGH except execpt texture detail @ medium (only 512mb of ram) and only reflect world.

16x AF and 4x AA 1024x768 w/ vsync off.

9800pro w/ R360 coming in a few days....see how the extra shaders of the XT will handle this.

PS I forgot to mention I have a MILD overclock. 380/350

i put the same settings as you (but only 4x AA/0x AF) and get about 40-70 fps (jumps around in between those numbers alot) with a 9600 pro

except my textures are on high (1 gig of ram) and i keep my resolution at 800x600

There could likely be a driver or system configuration issue at work here also. I personally don't know what CS should run, as I don't play it. So that's part of the issue for me. But even so, theres are many possibilities concerning this issue.

Mojo, have you tried the 75.90a drivers? While they gave me some issues in one or two games they are F'n fast. You should give them a shot.

Back