6800GT Source FPS LOW

vonzipper

n00b
Well I a problem with Counter Striker Source I play this game very often and i find it rather beautiful. But I can not crank my Settings to Ultra High because well i get low fps. I do the stress test and i get 105 fps for everything to the max 6xAA 16XAF High Models High Textures. So i figured well i guess i could lower the graphics! But! I have Lowered the Graphics to the bare minium. I put the Direct X level to 7 mat_dxlevel 7 all the models are on Low and everything else is on low also. I do the stress test again like that i have a score for 265 FPS. But during gaming i get about 120 FPS and the max but in Heavy Battles i can go as low as 25 fps for atleast 10 seconds long.

My Video card is a 6800GT by LeadTek. And Heat is not a problem i max at 60C under Max gaming and Idle around 52C.

My Processor is an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott at 3.2Ghz. It does get hot but doesnt seem to affect it as much. 45C idel 55C Load.

My Memory is Kingston Hyper X 2 512 MB sticks in Dual channel. And i have an MSI PT880 FSR board.

So ya what i want to know is what i can do to improve over all FPS. All other games i play get an insane amount of FPS. They say this game is an ATi Game so i wonder if i shouldve gotten an ATi. Too late now. I also have the latest nvidia drivers.

vonzipper said:
Well I a problem with Counter Striker Source I play this game very often and i find it rather beautiful. But I can not crank my Settings to Ultra High because well i get low fps. I do the stress test and i get 105 fps for everything to the max 6xAA 16XAF High Models High Textures. So i figured well i guess i could lower the graphics! But! I have Lowered the Graphics to the bare minium. I put the Direct X level to 7 mat_dxlevel 7 all the models are on Low and everything else is on low also. I do the stress test again like that i have a score for 265 FPS. But during gaming i get about 120 FPS and the max but in Heavy Battles i can go as low as 25 fps for atleast 10 seconds long.

My Video card is a 6800GT by LeadTek. And Heat is not a problem i max at 60C under Max gaming and Idle around 52C.

My Processor is an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott at 3.2Ghz. It does get hot but doesnt seem to affect it as much. 45C idel 55C Load.

My Memory is Kingston Hyper X 2 512 MB sticks in Dual channel. And i have an MSI PT880 FSR board.

So ya what i want to know is what i can do to improve over all FPS. All other games i play get an insane amount of FPS. They say this game is an ATi Game so i wonder if i shouldve gotten an ATi. Too late now. I also have the latest nvidia drivers.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I have the following:
6800gt agp
Athlon 64 3000
1 gig ddr ram
gigabyte k8 triton mobo
coolmax 400w psu

I had the x800xl but I returned it for the 6800gt. Alas, my 6800gt ran as horribly as the x800xl in Source. X800Xl, 6800GT, it doesn't matter. They both ran horribly in Source.

When I'm playing counterstrike source, I'll be standing there and my fps will be in the 120's. But as soon as I start moving the fps will drop into the 70's-80's. When gunfights erupt, my fps will drop to the 30's and 50's depending on how much action is going on. And this is not even in heavy gunfights with 2 or 3 people. Even a 1 on 1 will cause my fps to drop into the 30's-50's. Trying to aim and burst fire at these times is nonexistant. It's becoming highly frustrating that I can't aim and burst fire anymore. Alot of the times, I have to rely on spraying due to the horrible fps and crosshairs not coming back. Some people have reported the same problems. However, others have reported getting constant high frames even with a lower end video card.

My friend has the same exact layout as me and his fps never drops below 70's with all the settings turned on high. I turn all of the settings down to the bottom and my fps still drops like crazy.

I don't really think it's our machines. Check out the steam forums and see what they've said about Source. I seriously think something is up with Source.

It sucks to know that this happens with far more people then i expected. Something a little buggy or either fishy with source. Thank you for your replies.

I have a 6800GT (PNY AGP) and have no problem running the game @ 1920x1440 in DX7 with no AA, I can run @ 1280x960 with 4 samples of AA and 8X AF and still get around 60-100 FPS. The machine is a AMDXP 3000+ with 1 gig of ram.

The HL2 Engine is heavly CPU dependant. A Pentium 4 or low end Athlon 64 is more or less the cause for blame.

open console and type this "cl_updaterate 101" "cl_cmdrate 101" fps_max 101" right click css from "my games" in steam, then click launch options and add this line "+snd_async_prefetch_priority 1" that helped me alot.

hey guys, i referred vonzipper here for this issue

i remember there being a thread someone posted about making hl2 think ur using an ati card or something or that nature and that helped a lot, anyone remember that?

btw von, ur in for a surprise next time we're in arizona dust together...hahaha (evil laugh)

USMC2Hard4U said:
The HL2 Engine is heavly CPU dependant. A Pentium 4 or low end Athlon 64 is more or less the cause for blame.
Not exactly true, I'm running a BFG 6800GT-OC & have none of these issues & my CPU is an AMD XP2200+ (seriously need to upgrade, but I'm waiting for Vista to come out before doing it.)

My FPS stay well above 30fps in heavy Firefights on CS:S

And I thought my rig sucked :p

Of course i amr unning at medium settings, on 800x resolution :p

Back