6800GT's w/ colored PCB's...?

Mase

2[H]4U
Ok, I am planning on dropping the roughly $400 on a 6800GT,
I want one with a colored PCB since we all know it will run faster.
I mean, who would buy a new car if it only came in green???
So anyway, I hear the blue ones are faster because blue reflects heat... ;)
my options this far are the new BFG's and the Asus...
I think I saw an Apogee with a blue PCB as well but I was curious if
anyone had links or info on any other colors that may be available.
I swore I saw a black one on a UK site but the link was kinda broken.

And can anyone confirm that the Asus has only 12 pipes on their 6800GT?
I saw some reviews on the Gameve site and people were knockin it hard.
I am leaning towards the blue Asus card but i saw no mention of this in the [H]
review and i cant confirm in the specs listed on the site. Thanks for the help.

Does Asus actually call it a 6800GT?

I know Asus sells a 256MB 6800, which some people assume is a GT, but it is not; it has 12 Pipelines. It just happens to be one of the few 6800 (vanilla) boards with 256MB rather than 128MB.

check the videocard picture thread, lots of 6800's with lots fo colors (mostrly blue & green though)

I just posted my blue BFG6800GT OC there with an NV5

Asus also has a 128 meg "GT" that has all 16 pipes open but uses only 128 meg of 700mhz memory. I'd love to see a benchmark comparo of all the ASUS cards since it seems like ASUS is about the only manufacturer stepping away from the reference design, but so far I haven't seen anything of the sort. They have 256 meg 6800s with 12 pipes, 128 meg GTs with 16 pipes, but maybe nobody but the suckers are buying them because the reviews are.... well, where are they?

I was gonna just get a BFG until i saw I had another option with the new Giga-Byte. Its a new one that was released after the reference design. Sweet cooler!
check out some pics of it HERE.

NEODARK, i cant find a link to that thread, i did a search? :confused:
I want to see the blue PCB BFG with the NV5 on it...
I had originally wanted that setup...thanx

thanx for the link...

hey NEODARK, i was under the impression or thought I had read that the BFG's were using Shin Etsu paste on their cards...yeah right! :eek:
looks nice w/ that NV5 on it though, with the blue PCB.
What material were those white pads on the back of the heatsink?

i just bought a pny gt at compussr. it was blue and has some sort of metal rimopposite the agp connector. my old ny gt that i got from compussr was green though, and it didnt have the metal rim thing. i was wondering bout flashing the bios so that i could get more voltage. maybe that would stop the artifacts i get in 3dmark05. I tried to read the thread and i followed the instructions but when i type what he says in the dos prompt it tells me the command isnt recognized or something.

Mase said:
hey NEODARK, i was under the impression or thought I had read that the BFG's were using Shin Etsu paste on their cards...yeah right! :eek:

the first run of BFG cards using the green PCB supposedly had AS5 on the core, but when i removed the HSF on mine, it looked more like Shin Etsu X23.

What material were those white pads on the back of the heatsink?

the pads on the ram appear to be the same as the ones i've seen on all the other 6800 series cards. kind of white silicon paste with a gauze-like material in the middle to add thickness.

Bling said:
I tried to read the thread and i followed the instructions but when i type what he says in the dos prompt it tells me the command isnt recognized or something.

try using nvflash v4.42. it's available here:

http://whitebunny.demon.nl/hardware/chipset_nvidia.html#nvflash

Mase said:
I had another option with the new Giga-Byte. Its a new one that was released after the reference design.
How well does that hsf work? temps?

saturnine2 said:
How well does that hsf work? temps?

not quite sure yet as it was just ordered this afternoon, i popped for 2nd day air.
Should have it no later than Wednesday, I will let you know what kinda temps I'm seeing.
I would think it cools pretty well considering the heat-pipes and the fact that the
main part of the cooler is on the top of the card, heat rises...you get the idea.
I have VERY GOOD case cooling as well and a duct mounted from the bottom
of my case that will most likely be partially blowing directly on the card itself...lower temps significantly i hope.
If it dont cool well...at least it looks bling bling.
Nelly has the Gigabyte card as well...saw in the latest Source mag.
:eek:

Mine with blue PCB: direct linky

victory.jpg

goo.jpg

you can clearly see is not AS5 on the rest of the 2nd pic :)

and another one with NV5 & green PCB from picture thread:

0.jpg

Back