6800NU +16 Pipes?

DemonDiablo said:
Your opinion of steep keeps on sounding more and more like the opinion of an unemployeed minor :rolleyes: ...just my opinion

How many presently unemployed minors do YOU know of that had a P166MMX and overclocked it to 200 or 233 Mhz? Huh? You're exhibiting some amount of ingnorance here...

I want to have a damn fast computer, in fact, I have several of them. But, $300 on a video card really is wasteful. I want to be able to afford a vaction home in Hawaii, to send my kid to top notch private schools, etc... I broke down and got a 6800 nu for $239 because somebody bought my 4600 for $100 and I've really been looking forward to playing Doom III. That, and I recently sold a couple of my slower PCs to people who basically just browse the web and send emails. Consider that a nice new ASUS A7N8XE Deluxe motherboard costs only $80, seems pretty fu@kin rediculous when I look at this video card that cost 3x as much yet will become obsolete in 1/4 the time.

My uncle is the kind of rich guy that blows his money on toys, he's got airplanes, new Porcsche 911 Turbo, even got his own helicopter (real one, not an R/C model, but he's got those too). But, he doesn't have any kids and he's not married. If he dies single and childless, he's not going to care that he blew all his money on toys.

SereLaw said:
Impulse said:
And it's an ASUS, that alone carries a price premium, ASUS products don't tend to be cheap ever.

Well... Newegg's got the ASUS A7N8XE Deluxe for about $80 these days, that seems very cheap to me, for a high quality full featured motherboard. I have serious respect for the ASUS brand name, but, I think they've started having some of their products produced in China to get into the low-end market more.

Critofur said:
How many presently unemployed minors do YOU know of that had a P166MMX and overclocked it to 200 or 233 Mhz? Huh? You're exhibiting some amount of ingnorance here...

I want to have a damn fast computer, in fact, I have several of them. But, $300 on a video card really is wasteful. I want to be able to afford a vaction home in Hawaii, to send my kid to top notch private schools, etc...

The median price for houses in Hawaii is currently $500,000 and the best private school here is about $20,000 per year. If you saw a lot of these $500,000 houses you would say "$500,000 for that small POS house with 5'x5' back yard and street parking?".

:)

Critofur said:

I want to have a damn fast computer, in fact, I have several of them. But, $300 on a video card really is wasteful. I want to be able to afford a vaction home in Hawaii, to send my kid to top notch private schools, etc... I broke down and got a 6800 nu for $239 because somebody bought my 4600 for $100 and I've really been looking forward to playing Doom III. That, and I recently sold a couple of my slower PCs to people who basically just browse the web and send emails. Consider that a nice new ASUS A7N8XE Deluxe motherboard costs only $80, seems pretty fu@kin rediculous when I look at this video card that cost 3x as much yet will become obsolete in 1/4 the time.

My uncle is the kind of rich guy that blows his money on toys, he's got airplanes, new Porcsche 911 Turbo, even got his own helicopter (real one, not an R/C model, but he's got those too). But, he doesn't have any kids and he's not married. If he dies single and childless, he's not going to care that he blew all his money on toys.

that's a wonderful story, but you're really dragging the thread off topic. some people have different priorities than you do, and there's not much you can do to change that. if you want to rant about it don't do it in someone else's thread

CraftyOtter said:
The median price for houses in Hawaii is currently $500,000 and the best private school here is about $20,000 per year. If you saw a lot of these $500,000 houses you would say "$500,000 for that small POS house with 5'x5' back yard and street parking?".

:)

since when did iolani become 20K a year??

fugu said:
that's a wonderful story, but you're really dragging the thread off topic. some people have different priorities than you do, and there's not much you can do to change that. if you want to rant about it don't do it in someone else's thread

Well... There isn't any news about the softmod lately eh? We're all anxiously awaiting... :(

Punahou's going to be almost $13k, Iolani's about $11.5k. Mid-Pac over $12k, HPA around $14.5k. Only tuition, doesn't cover other expenses though.

zeplar said:
Punahou's going to be almost $13k, Iolani's about $11.5k. Mid-Pac over $12k, HPA around $14.5k. Only tuition, doesn't cover other expenses though.

Yup, that's why I said about $20k

Still waiting for that RivaTuner softmod! Tick tock tick tock.

Critofur said:
Well... Newegg's got the ASUS A7N8XE Deluxe for about $80 these days, that seems very cheap to me, for a high quality full featured motherboard. I have serious respect for the ASUS brand name, but, I think they've started having some of their products produced in China to get into the low-end market more.

That's an out of date motherboard. Video cards aren't like that nor motherboards. When a new card comes out, it's usually about 10-15% more than the competition. Although, they usually a lot more goodies to the package which I think brings up the price significantly.

zeplar said:

So what you're saying is that someone went to a private school in Hawaii and found out how to activate all 16 pipes in a 6800NU?? WTF?
I must have clicked the wrong thread. :p

Ya...I'm not understanding what happen to this thread.

I have the vanilla 6800 and I'd like to open some extra pipes. What version of RivaTuner? Do I need to pay for it?

krotch said:
Ya...I'm not understanding what happen to this thread.

I have the vanilla 6800 and I'd like to open some extra pipes. What version of RivaTuner? Do I need to pay for it?

The softmod to enable the extra 4 pipes will be included in the next update of RivaTuner. Probably 2-3 weeks away. It's free.

I'm using RivaTuner v2 and I can't even OC with the thing. I thought it might need to be paid for.

Thanks for the info CraftyOtter.

GeniusInABottle said:
I payed a little more for a card that's faster than any 6800nu, almost as fast as a GT, and was actually available when I was looking. Not to mention it comes with a nice bundle, is from a reputable company, and is both aesthetically pleasing and truly unique. No other card like it. I don't think it's all that silly, really.

And then there's the 6800 pipe mod...

this is you

6800 GT with 256 mb with 16 pipes for 400
6800 NU with 256 mb with 12 pipes for 420

to the normal human being the first option is much better, but for some wierd reason u went with the second option.

Ti22 said:
this is you

6800 GT with 256 mb with 16 pipes for 400
6800 NU with 256 mb with 12 pipes for 420

to the normal human being the first option is much better, but for some wierd reason u went with the second option.

No, this is me. I bought an available card instead of an unavailable card. I really don't see why you care so much about my purchase decision anyway. And not everyone is getting GTs for MSRP btw, heh. That $420 price you're quoting I'm guessing is from newegg? Yeah, show me a $400 GT there.

GeniusInABottle said:
I really don't see why you care so much about my purchase decision anyway. And not everyone is getting GTs for MSRP btw, heh.

It's all to do with economics. Ti22 should be happy, a smaller demand for GTs should help push prices down.

lets keep this thread to the topic..

let that person have whatever video card he wants. if he's happy with it, whats the problem?

we are talking about the 6800 12-16 pipe mod, not the asus v9999 gamers edition video card.

Critofur said:

Your Uncle is my hero.
:eek:

Just wait a few more weeks and the prices will come down when the availability goes up... supply & demand.... demand is still outstripping supply so everyone is holding firm on their prices for the 6800GT's.

However, if you notice the 6800NU are coming down already. They all started at $300-330... now they're selling for $285'ish mostly. I would think that ALL of the 6800GT's will be under $400 in approximately 1 month. (instead of $400-$460!)

Chaballaman said:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-3-p1.html
this dude flashed 6800nu to 6800ultra bios n flashed back n still got 16pipes, but also got random artefacts. all u have to do is flash it with gt/ultra bios n flash back to stock.
http://www.nvplanet.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=11

I want to point out, in the first link, he states it DOES increase performance to have the additional pipes turned on WITHOUT overclocking. The theory about "there's no point because it will be starved for memory bandwidth" is proven incorrect.

Now what we need is the program that NVidia uses to test the pipes, please, somebody at NVidea "leak" it out to us "enthusiasts" so we can test our inactive pipes and find out which ones to turn on!.

chrisf6969 said:
Just wait a few more weeks and the prices will come down when the availability goes up... 6800NU are coming down already. They all started at $300-330... now they're selling for $285'ish mostly. I would think that ALL of the 6800GT's will be under $400 in approximately 1 month. (instead of $400-$460!)

I paid $239 for my eVGA 6800nu, I thought that was a bit overpriced, but I sold my 4600 for $100 so that made it a little less irritating.

GeniusInABottle said:
No, this is me. I bought an available card instead of an unavailable card. I really don't see why you care so much about my purchase decision anyway. And not everyone is getting GTs for MSRP btw, heh. That $420 price you're quoting I'm guessing is from newegg? Yeah, show me a $400 GT there.

I read the review of the Asus V9999 Ge on Got Apex today and it seems like a great card. How long have you had it?

Since I still have two Athlon XP's, I liked reading the conclusion which states:
"With the Sapphire Toxic, you had a great package and a card that was natively overclocked. But real world performance on a lower end system like the Lounge didn't increase near like it did with the Asus V9999, the Toxic has a higher pricetag, and swallows up a PCI slot. Normally I'm not a big video overclocker - you spend 400+ bucks, you ought to be seeing all the card can do. But 10 frames is 10 frames, especially in a system killer like Doom 3.

Perhaps the story is different on an Athlon 64 or Prescott system; I don't have one to compare with. The truth is, for the many, many users out there just not ready to upgrade the processor and mainboard yet again, the Asus V9999 is the better value, and offers up better performance, on what these days is an entry level system for those without the cash to spare. This card is a pure gem, which is why Asus absolutely deserves the rare perfect 10, and the Got|Apex Redline Award."

The system they used to test was:
Athlon 2600+ XP
1 GB Kingston DDR 2100
Abit NF7, NForce 2 chipset
Western Digital 80GB ATA 100, 7200 RPM drive
Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, ASUS V9999 Gamer Edition

Kirk

Kirk

i decided to flash with nvidia reference 6800gt bios with nvflash (thought i might have better chance with it over leadtek 6800ultra bios) but nvflash didnt allow it due to diff id. ive used x-bios editor to edit ids on geforce video cards but it doesnt support 6800 series card yet. anyone know other program i can use (or where to edit in hex) for the 6800 series id. im going to flash edited reference 6800gt bios with leadtek flash util.
ive posted more info here. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=796638&page=2

palabared said:
where did you get it for that price?
and how is the pny 6800nu? any good/worse?

No idea how the PNY compares to the eVGA. My 4600 was a PNY, the fan died (maybe when I washed the card? :p ) but it is a good card without problems. The eVGA 6800 seems fine. I'm not sure what you mean good/worse compared to the eVGA, or what?

There's now another one (eVGA 6800) for $239 at my local Micro Center.

i can only seem to OC the card to 385/765, i think it could be my power supply, which is 350w

My Gainward Golden Sample 6800 single slot

The latest nvidia drivers with coolbits 2.0 recommended the optimal settings at 850 memory, and 400 core. I tested it in cs:source, and it ran aok.

Lot of talk about the 6800le (AGP).. I thought it would be a perfect match for my OC barton2500 while i wait for the Athlon64 to arrive in the mail.. And my card OC to a nice 395core and 850mem.. D3 runs superb in 1024x768 HQ 4xAA 8xAF.. Buy the card first.. Then you can make a statement based on facts.. And yes.. I also ordered a 6800ultra to go with the new athlon.. Anyone owning a 6800le that have succeded in unlocking som pipes?

Quoted from the above Guru3D link:

"After i run theese test, happy with my findings i decided to check for artifacts.
I didn't notice anything during the Doom runs, so i used ATItool to scan for artifacts, and you know what, i found many.

During the ATItool test i could clearly see bright yellow pixels glowing at the test screen.

All theese bright spots were gone when i flashed back at the original bios.

Aparently there was a reason why theese pipes were locked at the first place."

He gained aprox. 1.2 fps on what he described as a somewhat CPU limited system (not sure he stated the exact specs) after having flashed it over w/o OC'ing it, this was only when testing at 1024x768 w/16x AA on as w/o AA he couldn't tell any difference between the new Ultra BIOS and the stock one.

The good news is he was able to go back to his original BIOS so no harm done, doesn't seem like it's worth it at all tho, like many said before... Pipelines are locked for a reason.

"Aparently there was a reason why theese pipes were locked at the first place."
yeah to sell it at lower cost. i had 9800se with 8 pipes no problem, my 9500 has been runnin as 9700 ever since i got it.

Now that we know that it can be undone, so u r not risking anything.

"During the ATItool test i could clearly see bright yellow pixels glowing at the test screen."
The dude only tried one Ultra bios. It might work 100% with other bios. I had to flash 9500 with diff bios until i got it workin without any artefact.

Yeah, check the price on that ASUS card and get back to me on whether it's worth the hassle... :rolleyes: ;)

Ok, maybe I'll try it on my eVGA 6800, I downloaded the BIOS files. Can I flash from Windows? Anybody know exactly all the steps I need to go through exactly?

"a:\nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 a:\romname.rom
It's a forced flash.
And yes, every time i reverted to the original bios the same bits were masked again, i tried this many times, and every time i verified it with RivaTuner.
So it looks like the bios is re-masking the "faulty" pipes and-or shaders again.
At least with my card."

Chaballaman said:
"a:\nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 a:\romname.rom
It's a forced flash.
And yes, every time i reverted to the original bios the same bits were masked again, i tried this many times, and every time i verified it with RivaTuner.
So it looks like the bios is re-masking the "faulty" pipes and-or shaders again.
At least with my card."
Give us some benchmarks with the other pipes/shader on/off already!!!

Critofur said:
Give us some benchmarks with the other pipes/shader on/off already!!!
They're at the link quoted above and I summairzed the results in my first post above as well... skimmer! :D

Back