6850 -- faulty? psu problem? driver problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanable

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys;

I picked up a gigabyte 6850 used here on the forums and have been attempting to get it to run.

I have the same problem in every game I play: I get to a certain point in the game and I it freezes up and then eventually kicks me to desktop, claiming the ATI driver stopped working and restarted itself.

I've tried 10.10, 10.10d, 10.10e -- all on fresh installs of win 7 x64 bit. Each attempt had updated chipset, lan, audio, and directx drivers.

The games/problems:
AvP - freezes 10 seconds after I can start moving around after the intro, then CTD
Dirt 2 - freezes during intro movie when travis walks into his trailer after he gets his first STi, then CTD
bioshock - freezes as soon as I take the elevator down after the plane crash, then CTD
BC2 - the only game that doesn't have a set freeze point, this game just dies whenever it wants.. freezes, and CTD

Haven't tried any other games

Does anyone have any ideas?

My system: phenom x4 965, 4gb crucial ddr3 1600, ocz vertex 30gb ssd, 250gb seagate 7200rpm drive, asus am3 m-atx board, and a BFGtech 550w psu.

I've tried another psu, though it had very similar 'stats' as my current psu. Both of them claimed roughly 18a on each 12v rail (two in total).

I was able to power a 4890 with both powersupplies no problem -- but then again, that card did have two pci-e connections and may have 'balanced' itself nicely.

What do you guys think? PSU? Faulty card? AMD shitfucked drivers?

Thanks

edit: should note that I can run furmark for hours without any problems.
edit 2: borderlands -- within 10 secs of the opening cutscene ending it freezes then CTD
edit 3: I have hundreds of these in my event viewer: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
edit 4: underclocking to 600/800 w/ 100% fan didn't help.

Last edited:
he got the card from me.. i ran it in eyefinity with no problems but all systems are different.. if he need any help rma it or anything in that nature i will do my best to help solve the problem.. good luck

my system was a amd 550x2 be unlocked 4gb ddr2 ocz ram, a785gxh/128m 500gb hd and said card.
power supply is a 900watt rocketfish.

I know this won't help, but I have 2 6850's and no problems.
But I think there is a specific driver that had to be used for
6800 series.

I know this won't help, but I have 2 6850's and no problems.
But I think there is a specific driver that had to be used for
6800 series.

10.10e? Tried it

edit: 4 hours of OCCT with no errors to report

edit2: REPOSTING THIS ELSEWHERE FOR MORE TRAFFIC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back