6950 Running Hot at Idle?

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got my HIS 2GB 6950 yesterday. Installed and noticed the idle temps are higher than what I've read. Ambient temp is currently 20C.

Mine is idling @ 48-49C, 25% fan. From the reviews I have read, the idle temps should be closer to ~41C.

Anything to worry about here?

6950idle.gif

Lots of threads asking the same question. Its 100% normal.

The more monitors you have connected the hotter the card will run at idle. I have 4 monitors connected and mine idles at like 60C.

There will also always be a fair amount of variance because some cases are a lot better than others at cooling the video cards. For example the Silverstone FT-02 and Raven rotate the motherboard 90 degrees and they tend to cool the video cards better.

Idle temps are known to vary, load temps are what really matter. Regardless those temps are fine.

Moving from 1 to 2 monitors increased my idle temps by 6c. YMMV, 41-50c is nothing to worry about ;).

Lots of threads asking the same question. Its 100% normal.

The more monitors you have connected the hotter the card will run at idle. I have 4 monitors connected and mine idles at like 60C.

There will also always be a fair amount of variance because some cases are a lot better than others at cooling the video cards. For example the Silverstone FT-02 and Raven rotate the motherboard 90 degrees and they tend to cool the video cards better.

Idle temps are known to vary, load temps are what really matter. Regardless those temps are fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have one 30" monitor connected.

I think it might be my case. I'm using an old Antec P180 case (was a great case back in the day). I'll definitely get a new case for my next build.

I just got my HIS 2GB 6950 yesterday. Installed and noticed the idle temps are higher than what I've read. Ambient temp is currently 20C.

Mine is idling @ 48-49C, 25% fan. From the reviews I have read, the idle temps should be closer to ~41C.

Anything to worry about here?

6950idle.gif

With an ambient temp of 18-19C, my 6950 idles around 45C with fan @ 24. It's nothing to worry about.

Back