6950 to 6970 flash not working anymore

clague

Weaksauce
I have an interesting problem. I've been using an MSI 6950 2GB that was flashed with a 6970 bios since I first got it almost a year ago. I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU. The video card worked fine initially but after updating my motherboard bios to the latest version I get no video from the card when using the 6970 bios. The computer boots fine and I can hear it get into windows through the speakers but the monitors do not power on. If I switch back to a 6950 bios it works fine.

Not a huge deal but still wonder why the motherboard bios change affected it.

probobly just some corruption from the flash, just boot it into 6950 mode, flip the micro-switch and hot flash it again....

Tried that, still no go. Wish I had another computer to try it in. Probably not worth downgrading the bios in the motherboard to try it again that way.

try saving off the backup bios, and flash that and see if yu can get 6950 back up at least

I'm wondering if it could be some kind of power related issue. Obviously with a 6970 bios it'll increase the cards power consumption up a little. Instead of user a 6970 bios why don't you back up your stock 6950 bios and user RBE to unlock the extra shaders while leaving the card at the stock voltage (1.1v) then overclock and overvolt afterwards.

if thats the case, patching the original 6950 bios for the ugraded shaders should work. Its a better idea anyway, as the 6970 uses different ram, and the timeings are not the same. Even with the 6950 bios, there should be plenty of overclocking headroom.

My patched 6950 OCs stable beyond 900/1400

the one disadvantage being you cant mod the bios for 6970 clocks, youll need to use a 3rd party program. The bios clocks are protected from modification by a checksum hash. You can however change the voltage to 1.175 and patch the shaders using RBE..

Assuming flashing the backup back onto the flashable bios works...

Back