6GB Finally.

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
I'm looking to get 6GB finally. I've been running at 4 all my life and I think it's time to get up to 6GB.

I'm looking for a good set for the rig in the sig.

I was thinking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

I haven't ever thought I needed more than 4GB, but it seems now with my increased work with databases and photoshop and such that it would be nice to have a little more available. I know I have 4 GB now, but it's crappy stuff and I only have 2 sticks of it. It's supposed to be a triple channel kit, but I got them in a trade and there was only 2 of them.

Lemme know what you think. Also should I aim higher than 6GB?

what I do with my PC the most:
Games: Starcraft 2, LOTRO, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead
Work: Python Coding, MySQL database. My application on the production server processes thousands of records per day and it's been really nice to have RAID SSD to work with, not sure if more RAM would really help, but it could. I also use Photoshop from time to time.

I have the G-Skil F3-12800CL8T-2GBPI 1.65 stuff.

The stuff you highlight has tighter timings and lower volt.
The price looks great also.

Other than with heatsink too tight or whatever not showing all 6 at first.

After that good to go.
Good luck dude.

I've been holding of upgrading to 8gb from 4gb. I mainly game and many people said anything more than 4gb ram is waste.

I've been holding of upgrading to 8gb from 4gb. I mainly game and many people said anything more than 4gb ram is waste.

For what? What applications do you use that require over 4gb? Save your money and get something that is practical

For what? What applications do you use that require over 4gb? Save your money and get something that is practical

Gentoo and Ubuntu VM, 2 instances of EVE and 1 of EQ2, lots of browser tabs open.. I like my 8 gb :cool:

My last box had 8GB (4x 2GB, C2Q Q9550) in it and when I upgraded a month or so ago I tried to go it with 6GB (3x 2GB, Xeon W3680). That lasted all of 2 days before I ordered 3x 4GB to bring it up to 18GB.

18GB is the new 6GB. :)

Seriously though, if you're a heavy Photoshop user you should have more than 4GB and a 64-bit OS.

I'm on Professional 64-bit. I went with 6GB, but may upgrade to 12GB later with another 3 sticks.

I would consider getting a memory cooler if you want to run all 6 memory modules, because my ram was getting hot before I got my cooler.

Got the 6GB set I linked to at the top. I have 2 G.Skill sticks now left over I'm thinking I'll sell. Is it better to get rid of it or keep it? Or try and find a 3rd? They're the F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ. I'm thinking selling is best, what do you think?

the more important question
Default the Muskins are doing 8-8-8-19. I have to go in and fiddle with them since the FSB:DRAM is 2:8 and the Freq is 534.7MHz. What are some good settings to shoot for?

Imo you should just sell it for now. Prices are coming down on ddr3 anyways. When you need more you will be able to purchase more at a cheaper price point

Back