6GB Ram Configuration (4+2)

Just got some great ram at a cheap price (4GB) that run at 2.0V (Ballistix). Now I have 2GB that are left doing nothing, so for right now I am going to use them however they run at 2.2V (Ballistix). I know that his configuration is possible but how would under-voltage affect the 2.2V ram?

4GB (2GBx2).....2.0V
(newer chips)
2GB (1GBx2).....2.2V

Also, both sticks run at same speed (DDR2 800)

. I know that his configuration is possible but how would under-voltage affect the 2.2V ram?

It may not run at all, it may cause errors, it may cause BSOds, etc, In others quite a few problems when you undervolt the RAM

run them at 55518 timing and you should be fine undervolting

edit. got it backwards...lower your ram to 667, which would be 1:1 with your fsb and you should have no problem with undervolting

I want to run them both at 800. My roommate was saying change the voltage to 2.1V.....I was a bit hesitant. I would then overvolt new ram by +0.01 and undervolt old ram by -0.01. I decided not too. 4GB is enough...and anything more by my means is just overkill imho.

I want to run them both at 800. My roommate was saying change the voltage to 2.1V.....I was a bit hesitant. I would then overvolt new ram by +0.01 and undervolt old ram by -0.01. I decided not too. 4GB is enough...and anything more by my means is just overkill imho.

overvolting by .1 will not hurt the new RAM, and older chipped ballistix usually were able to run DDR2 800 speeds at 2.0 volts IIRC, so give ita shot.

Back