7200.9 Very Loud.

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
I must have had horrible luck getting these drives because I'm on my 5th of these drives now.

I bought two 500GB capacity versions of this model of drive from Fry's when they had a 199.99 each deal and they were quiet and nice for a while, then one drive started beeping? I read up on this and it seems to be a read error so I took it back and had it replaced and then the new drive and the remaining of the original drives did it again.

So I RMA'd both of them to Seagate this time, deciding that maybe Fry's batch was just bad or something. Got both back in the mail, and they don't beep but they tick while reading... a lot... both of them... they're REALLY loud.

Are the 7200.9's this loud and is the quality this low? Each of the drives I've had have issues and are terrible... I'm probably going to RMA this pair too but first I'll have to clone to my 120GB ATA drive and live with that for a week or two...

So I'm really sick of these drives, and want something quiet with large capacity, 500GB or larger. I keep one in an external enclosure and use it as a backup/storage drive for my MacBook and the other is the main drive in my WinXP based Desktop PC.

So what do you recommend and what are your experiences with these drives and the quality control?

I have 3 500GB 7200.10 drives and they're perfect. I also have a 250GB 7200.9 drive and it is really loud, but I haven't had any problems to speak of.

Ok, so both my drives 7200.9's have that flush with the bottom motor with the black/white sticker thing and both are NOT silent. It must be different with the 7200.10's...

maybe they switched stickers :rolleyes: ....anyways if u read the reviews here or elsewhere u gonna find out that there r quiet and loud ones outthere . It seems around 30% of the seagates r low quality and have that noise problem , u never know which one u get .:eek:

Back