7200RPM Hitachi 2.5"

Galvatron

Gawd
Anyone else get one? I just put the 60GB in my PowerBook, up from the 40GB 4200RPM stock drive. Holy cow, its like a whole new machine. Boots up in under 45 seconds. Pretty much feels like a desktop now, where before I'd always be waiting for the hard drive to play catch up when doing damn near anything.

They're going for ~$200 since they're so damn hard to find, once they get better stock the retail should be $150ish. ecost.com got some in and I got lucky and snagged one for around $160.

Highly recommended!

That's very good to hear, as I having been looking at one for my Mac Mini to speed it up. But wasn't too sure if it would be worth it.

But what has it done to your battery life? I have a g3 ibook with a 4200 rpm drive that I can tell is dieing, so I really am looking at the 16 mb cache hard drives in the 40 to 60 gig range with 5400 just so I won't lose a marginal amount of battery life.

Douglite agrees, 7200 drives in laptop format take tenths of a watt more when running and take one more watt to spinup. There isn't a difference.

Back