74 GB / 150 GB VelociRaptor?

known12345

Limp Gawd
I was checking out the anandtech storage forums and I came across this thread about a a possible 74 GB version of the VelociRaptor and the 150 GB version of the VelociRaptor. I suppose this page sums it up.

If this turns out to be correct, what do you guys think the price of the 74 GB model and the 150 GB model will be and the date on which it will be available? Im sure the WD6400AAKS is putting alot of pressure on the VelociRaptor because of its price/performance so I can see Western Digitial possibly releasing a 74 GB and 150 GB version of the VelociRaptor to give consumers a wider range of options. However what possible pricing scheme/time frame scheme would they use to bring the products out?

Sweet, the 150GB would be perfect for me! I can't justify $300 for something I'm going to void the warranty on anyway (no room for the caddy in my case), so $150 is a little bit easier to swallow. :)

In addition, laptops will get interesting after these launch- the 300GB VelociRaptor is 12.5mm thick because it has multiple platters, so the 150GB version is likely to use a laptop-standard 9.5mm form factor! Battery life will hurt, but I can't wait to see Alienware or Sager offer 10K laptops... :eek:

If these rumors are true, hopefully it will have single platter and be 9.5mm thick, I would def throw one of those in my laptop

Man unfortunately, if you click on the links, the info is unavailable. It appears the info was taken down from the Western Digital website. I suppose you can check here for people talking about the 74GB and 150GB velociraptor at xtremesystems.org.

If these rumors are true, hopefully it will have single platter and be 9.5mm thick, I would def throw one of those in my laptop

If they have a standard height drive, I will be all over it.

Just installed the new VelociRaptor 74 GB HD from WD into my HD cage, cost $189.00 and fired up without issues. Have not played with it much since just installed it a few hours ago.

Just installed the new VelociRaptor 74 GB HD from WD into my HD cage, cost $189.00 and fired up without issues. Have not played with it much since just installed it a few hours ago.

Since they're not making them yet, where did you get that?

me thinks its just a normal raptor....they dont make the 74gb vr yet. price point matches (if not a little high) the normal 74gb raptors still around.

If they come out with 74GB versions with cost similar to the 300GB model ($/GB), I'll be buying a new array (my RAID 0 was never intended for real use, but I wasn't modivated enough to reinstall Windows)! Of course, if they're $189 then I'll be waiting for SSDs to be reasonable in price.

me thinks its just a normal raptor....they dont make the 74gb vr yet. price point matches (if not a little high) the normal 74gb raptors still around.

Kinda what I was thinking, but I hope he didn't pay 190.00 for the thing. :eek:

I'm seeing them for 140.00.........

Kinda what I was thinking, but I hope he didn't pay 190.00 for the thing. :eek:

I'm seeing them for 140.00.........

Wait im confused, why would the 74GB velociraptor cost more then a $100? Maybe its my unexperienced with the priceing of hard drivers, but I mean the WD6400AAKS is selling for less then a hundred and its 8 times the capacity of the 74GB velociraptor and only slightly slower? How could Western Digital justify selling the 74GB velociraptor for more then $100!? I mean I sure they "could" if they wanted too simply because well people will pay a premium for speed but I mean like what about the 150GB Velociraptor, is that supposed to be above $200? I mean in my naive mindset I picture the 74GB velociraptor to be maybe $100, maybe a little less, then 150 GB velociraptor to be maybe around $180, $200 max and the $300 GB velociraptor to be about the same...

I mean im sure by the end of the year, SSD would start to get much cheaper and may even be a viable option for some... I would think WD would try to upset that by lowering their Velociraptors, or am I reading the market all wrong (ive been following the graphics card market the last few weeks so I suppose I may have a more "optimistic" mindset in terms of price).

Wait im confused, why would the 74GB velociraptor cost more then a $100? Maybe its my unexperienced with the priceing of hard drivers, but I mean the WD6400AAKS is selling for less then a hundred and its 8 times the capacity of the 74GB velociraptor and only slightly slower? How could Western Digital justify selling the 74GB velociraptor for more then $100!? I mean I sure they "could" if they wanted too simply because well people will pay a premium for speed but I mean like what about the 150GB Velociraptor, is that supposed to be above $200? I mean in my naive mindset I picture the 74GB velociraptor to be maybe $100, maybe a little less, then 150 GB velociraptor to be maybe around $180, $200 max and the $300 GB velociraptor to be about the same...

I mean im sure by the end of the year, SSD would start to get much cheaper and may even be a viable option for some... I would think WD would try to upset that by lowering their Velociraptors, or am I reading the market all wrong (ive been following the graphics card market the last few weeks so I suppose I may have a more "optimistic" mindset in terms of price).

The normal 74GB Raptors are still $150....why would you introduce a new, faster model for cheaper?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136033

How exactly where u able to see those links mavalpha? I mean did u just google the links? What exactly did you do to see it?
Just Googled the model numbers and those came up: WD740GLFS and WD1500GLFS.

Just ordered my 300GB for $300 from NewEgg, so my gaming rig is almost complete. Q6700, 4850, VelociRaptor, and 8GB of RAM. I think I'll be able to post pics in about a week, you guys are going to like the twist in this project. :)

Back