754 to Outlive 939 ?

Its going to be interesting to see how this all plays out for AMD for sure. I too am a little perplexed that they'll be raising s939 prices here shortly. Makes no sense to me other than the fact they want to push AM2 stuff.

Seeing how the s939 club fell, this is a sign ;)

Russ said:
:rolleyes: The first guy was right. It's not like this means there will be uber quad core processors released on 754 now that it's "outlasting" 939. Every GOOD processor released will be AM2.

It's not like this news made all 939 procs suddenly perform worse than the 754s. Kinda funny that the socket will be in production, yet will have worse performance than some processors made for the extinct 939 socket....

I never said anything about "uber quad core" processors or anything like that. We all know that 754 has been relegated to the budget segment. We were just having a bit of fun whooping it up.

He just seemed a little too worked up over it. As do you.

Nuc_E said:
I never said anything about "uber quad core" processors or anything like that. We all know that 754 has been relegated to the budget segment. We were just having a bit of fun whooping it up.

He just seemed a little too worked up over it. As do you.

You may know that but it certainly seems that a lot of other people in this thread don't. That or they need to work on their sarcasm a lot.

Now I still have a 754 system, and its plenty fast, with a x850pro @ xtpe.. does great.

I will admit, my 920 is faster.. but still, best bang for buck 754 is great.

uh when was the last performance S754 chip released?

S754 has been dead for awhile, just rather than retiring it, they used it as a budget platform. To all those holding onto your S754 because of the upgrade path, I wish you the best of luck.

S939 still has some time left in it. AM2 may not be perfect right off the bat. I think S754 and S939 will see their end about the same time. When AMD combines all chips into AM2. However once that is done im sure DDR3 will be a viable alternative or some other technology will require a motherboard change for the performance chips, and then im sure AM2 will become a budget platform.

hehe both technologies are equally dead for the enthusiast market. Is AMD even releasing another performance S939 chip? and AM2 doesnt look appealing enough right now to consider making a move. AMD stalmate. :( . Guess no new toys for awhile

Awsome. 754 FTW. This is what I figured would happen. Dont under estimate those $75 Sempy's, they can overclock to hell. ;)

BigTaf said:

S754 has been dead for awhile, just rather than retiring it

A couple months ago, the 4000+. 2.6ghz and 1mb cache. Or is 2.6ghz/1mb cache not considered performance class?

robberbaron said:
A couple months ago, the 4000+. 2.6ghz and 1mb cache. Or is 2.6ghz/1mb cache not considered performance class?
Dont forget the mobile s754 chips, if you have a motherboard that can take one they can be overclocked like mad with a bump in voltage.

Unknown-One said:
Dont forget the mobile s754 chips, if you have a motherboard that can take one they can be overclocked like mad with a bump in voltage.
He is talking about the Mobile A64.

Unknown-One said:

4000+ is a mobile :)

robberbaron said:
i miss my 3700+ :(

robberbaron said:

was that not quite awhile ago?
which core was that?

forgive my ignorance but I thought the last chip was quite awhile ago. Or is this a mobile?

S754 has been dead for awhile, just rather than retiring it, they used it as a budget platform. To all those holding onto your S754 because of the upgrade path, I wish you the best of luck.
Most people are like you - they jumped on the s939 bandwagon, left s754 for dead and never looked back to see if it was dead or alive. It may surprise you to learn a few facts that you have obviously missed.
The 4000+ mobile is based on the 90nm SOI architecture with 1bm of L2 cache (basically a San Diego core) - and yeah at 2.6ghz stock its plenty fast. From some reports I've heard it is capable of 3.2ghz on air - that's what I call a "performance" chip. And if you are concerned about mobo compability just get a DFI - they work with the 4000+. I talked with an AMD tech and got the word straight from her. She was speaking "off the record" of course but the fact remains. The 4000+ is $310 at Newegg. Yeah, its a bit pricey but that's an upgrade if ever there was one.
Don't forget that the 3000+ Venice (2.0ghz) DH-E6 core 90nm SOI cpu was released back in Nov or Dec ($121 at Newegg). I've got one (see sig) and it flat out performs - especially for that price. 270x10 @1.68v is nothing to sneer at. Plus the skt 754 3200+ Venice (2.2ghz) DH-E6 core cpu is listed on AMD's website with a PIB (processor in box) part number which leads me to believe that it will be released into the retail channel sooner or later (fingers crossed in hope). AFAIK the skt 754 3400+ Venice is already being installed by system builders. It is listed as a tray part number (no PIB part number - yet) on AMD's website. It has a DH-E3 core and is again built on the 90nm SOI architecture. I have seen CPU-z screenshots of this processor in the hands of an enthusiast.
Also don't forget about all the motherboard options now available to socket 754, e.g.; nforce 4 4x chipset and T6100 chipset mobo's with PCI-e grahics slots and now EPoX has released an SLI mobo for socket 754. It sounds to me like the "old girl" still has a lot of life left in her.
So anyone who believes socket 754 is "dead" is really incorrect. It isn't "dead" - but as far as upgradability, sure, it is a "dead end" compared to s939 with its dual core capability. But with all the options available to us s754 users and the performance of the new cpu offerings I personally see no need whatsoever to migrate to s939. My socket 754 3000+ Venice easily handles all my computing tasks and will last 2 to 3 more years in all likelyhood. I may not need to upgrade until AMXX comes out with umpteen cores! :D

BigMacAttack said:
The 4000+ is $310 at Newegg. Yeah, its a bit pricey but that's an upgrade if ever there was one.
but when you consider that it has the same specs, minus a single memory channel, as the FX-55, it's a steal really :cool:

BigMacAttack said:
Most people are like you - they jumped on the s939 bandwagon, left s754 for dead and never looked back to see if it was dead or alive. It may surprise you to learn a few facts that you have obviously missed.

This is very much correct. I owned a S754 for a very short period of time. I do recall hearing about the Newark 3700+'s but not the 4000+'s.

BigMacAttack said:
From some reports I've heard it is capable of 3.2ghz on air - that's what I call a "performance" chip.

Id love to see those reports. Ive definitly seen a some high clocking cores, but 3.2ghz is pretty impressive, especially on air.

Admitidly those chips do look pretty impressive. But as I said earlier, I beleive both platforms will come to an end at the same time.

But for any enthusiast purchasing a system now. Id definitly suggest S939, I could see upgrading an existing S754 system with a faster chip, but I could not justify purchasing a new S754 system now.

cool, didnt know there would be more venice cores coming out.

754 FTW! ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
but when you consider that it has the same specs, minus a single memory channel, as the FX-55, it's a steal really :cool:

Hmm id probably go for the Opteron 150 at that price. $328 at new egg, and that is an FX55 -200mhz which is easily attainable. Or we could just consider the 200mhz less even for the single vs dual channel memory controller. Seeing as 200mhz is what AMD considers equivlant to dual channel.

Ie

3200+ S754 2.2ghz
3200+ S939 2.0ghz

Doesnt seem all that cheap by comparisson. eh $20 to say i got the latest and greatest.

The part that scares me the most is how my 2800 S754 Sempron can do the same basic functions as my 939 FX60 and do them just as good. Sure when I'm ripping high content or doing tons of diffrent intensive tasks I will then feel the diffrence... however if I was going to be using it as a computer, there isn't much diffrent.

Kinda scary, the industry is moving, but not "moving"

The S754 to the S939 was a joke IMO, I remember jumping from a 3400 S754 A64 to a 3500 S939 A64 and there was absolutley no diffrence. I miss the leaps we used to have (going from a P2 to P3, going from K62 to a Thunderbird)

Jason711 said:
the only true advantage 939 ever had was dual core.

And that came way too late into the 939 life.

Ockie said:
The part that scares me the most is how my 2800 S754 Sempron can do the same basic functions as my 939 FX60 and do them just as good. Sure when I'm ripping high content or doing tons of diffrent intensive tasks I will then feel the diffrence... however if I was going to be using it as a computer, there isn't much diffrent.

Kinda scary, the industry is moving, but not "moving"

The S754 to the S939 was a joke IMO, I remember jumping from a 3400 S754 A64 to a 3500 S939 A64 and there was absolutley no diffrence. I miss the leaps we used to have (going from a P2 to P3, going from K62 to a Thunderbird)

I don't get it. Is the Sempron supposed to be a half-brain and no performance processor?
The Sempron is AMD's mainstream and budget line, sure, it may not play F.E.A.R. like a FX does, but I bet you wouldn't notice any difference in day-to-day 'average' computer usage. Anything else it's the X2 and FX for you. It does what it's supposed to do, and it's doing it quite good too ;)

Jason711 said:
i wonder, how far they will go with the venice 754.

Not much. Atleast it won't make sense if they would. They're mainly keeping it for having a budget line. What do you think would be better for businesses that require mainly word and tablesheet processing out of their employers: A skt939 bundle with a 100$+ processor and a PCI-E card, or a skt754 build with under 80$ processor and integrated graphics card which would be lower than the skt939 bundle and even lower if it's bought in large bundles?

Figures, I just finish my 165 PC, then I hear about conroe, then AM2. O well, I needed it now, I keep telling myself.

Anyone think that maybe they might use it for their geode processors...? like the socket A? I bet they will go after Via with this platform in the mini-itx market, seeing that venice core 754's run cool (except for mine at for some reason :( ), and a 65 nm switch could mean fanless processors. Plus intergreated memory controller.
Just my $0.02, and first post. :D

cougar618 said:
Anyone think that maybe they might use it for their geode processors...? like the socket A? I bet they will go after Via with this platform in the mini-itx market, seeing that venice core 754's run cool (except for mine at for some reason :( ), and a 65 nm switch could mean fanless processors. Plus intergreated memory controller.
Just my $0.02, and first post. :D
Welcome to the forums. I kind of doubt they'll go 65 nm on skt 754 since EOL (end of life) is Q4 2007. They'll just keep it around mainly because Semprons sell well and its a cash cow at that price point. Plus its easier to keep Sempron on the skt754 platform rather than migrate it to skt 939 IMO.

BigMacAttack said:
Welcome to the forums. I kind of doubt they'll go 65 nm on skt 754 since EOL (end of life) is Q4 2007. They'll just keep it around mainly because Semprons sell well and its a cash cow at that price point. Plus its easier to keep Sempron on the skt754 platform rather than migrate it to skt 939 IMO.

Me too, I don't think they will bother with 65nm 754 chips. The bulk will go for socket AM2 and F. Even Semprons will get 65nm on AM2 as a budget plateform.

The only reason I can see for the longer life is OEM needs like laptops, media computer and cheap office computers.

Mainstream is where the $$$ is at, and killing off S754 would be like shooting yourself in the foot....I said it before, and I say it now, S754 is going to be around for a long time....

My other rig (my son's now, my old one) is a S754 A64 3000+ and it runs GREAT along with the XT800 and a gig of ram.....

I love you Mr. Clawhammer 3700+

I'm glad I've resisted the 939 hype.

Back