75MHz Refresh Rate for Westinghouse 22"?

After switching from a CRT to a Westinghouse 22" LCD, my eyes began to get tired and get hurt. Is there a way to increase the refresh rate from 60 to 75?

If your eyes are hurting, it's for another reason. Perhaps the monitor is too bright for you, perhaps you are just getting used to it. At any rate the image of an LCD does not flicker, the pixels stay in whatever state they are set at until they change. So a higher refresh rate buys you nothing, the image stability is unchanged.

That's actually one of the big positives of LCDs, they don't flicker.

the main cause of eye strain when using an lcd is the contrast between the brightness of the screen and the environment around the lcd. Avoid using it at night with the lights off or try placing some bias lighting behind the screen. I use these little glass rectangle lamps i got at ikea for like 5 bucks each behind my lcd tv in my living room, and they work great. Anything to brighten up the area around and behind your monitor will help.

Most 22" will only allow 75 @ 1280X1024 or less . At its native res of 1680X1250 you will only get 60 .

Refresh rate does matter on the LCD. Not necessarily with the flicker rate, because there is none, but with the amount of frames that are sent to the LCD per second. If it's capable of outputting 75 frames per second (with a high response time), then 75hz set in windows will be noticeable.

redavenab said:
Refresh rate does matter on the LCD. Not necessarily with the flicker rate, because there is none, but with the amount of frames that are sent to the LCD per second. If it's capable of outputting 75 frames per second (with a high response time), then 75hz set in windows will be noticeable.
However, many LCD monitors downsample 75hz input framerates to 60hz by dropping some of the input frames.

Oline61 said:
However, many LCD monitors downsample 75hz input framerates to 60hz by dropping some of the input frames.
Luckily mine doesn't ;). The difference to me can be very noticeable, well... in first person shooters, at least.

redavenab said:
Luckily mine doesn't ;). The difference to me can be very noticeable, well... in first person shooters, at least.
Nice, I'm in the market for a monitor like this because I can see the difference in games like CS 1.6 and Quake 3. What monitor do you have?

Back