780 GTX overclock results

I'm running my 2 780 SLI watercooled.

Best I can get is 1149 core boosted.

Mine are zotac 780s but I don't think it matter since it's a reference card and as far as I know they're all from Nvidia.

Have you tried the modded bios?

Recently got a great deal on a reference Gigabyte 780. So far its stable at +153 core (1,185 boost) I will not try to push it further until we get more stable drivers, the current betas are too unstable to tell if games are crashing due to drivers or clock.

Can someone elaborate on these modded BIOS? Whats the benefit of removing boost?

Anyone has done any testing to see how much improvement you get from overclocking the memory? These cards dont seem so bandwidth starved...

Anyone has done any testing to see how much improvement you get from overclocking the memory? These cards dont seem so bandwidth starved...

I have the TI BIOS. Found my max GPU clock was 1215mhz and memory was only 1584mhz. Took the GPU down to 1200mhz and was able to bump the memory to 1758mhz. Anyways, to answer your question. I did see an improvement, about 5% for benchmarks and about 2-4 FPS increase in Crysis 3. Not bad for taking the GPU down 15mhz but upping the memory 174mhz.

Here is what I get when I'm logged in and try to download the file from the forum post referenced earlier in this thread:

You need to meet their minimum posts, and even then there is a couple hour delay. I would suggest reading the TOS in their forums for more info. Or if you did meet their requirements get one of their admins involved, works for me.

You need to meet their minimum posts, and even then there is a couple hour delay. I would suggest reading the TOS in their forums for more info. Or if you did meet their requirements get one of their admins involved, works for me.

I did read the TOS. I just wanted to download a file. I don't enjoy minimum post or other requirements.

Flashed the TI bios a few weeks back and decided to finally nail down 24/7 clocks. ASIC quality is 74.2% on my card for reference -- settled on 1202-1228 core and 3450 memory with a custom fan profile. Highly recommend the TI bios over stock. It's nice not having to worry about whether the boost nonsense is giving full capability in games.

Here's a quick 3dmark firestrike bench: 10015

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/875126

got a reference galaxy 780 that I installed an EK titan block and plate on. Just running metro LL bench at the moment to get a rough idea of what it can do. +330 on the core for 1232mhz ran flawlessly, +350 caused a momentary hang. haven't touched the memory yet. this is with the oc bios from tech inferno, max voltage and +115% power and temp target. havent gone above 37C.

Resolution: 2560 x 1440; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; Tesselation: Very High; Motion Blur: Normal; SSAA: OFF;

edit: ran 350 again and it was ok...did change the fan profile a bit as i thought cpu was getting a bit hot. asic quality is 67.9%

edit 2: 365 passed, 380 crashed the bench

edit 3: 5 runs at 1232:3454, will go to other games from here

Last edited:
1250 oc with 1.2v here with 2 780s sli. It was really easy to do and did give a nice boost...Could go higher maybe, but i dont see the need. Went from 20000 to 23000 in 3d mark firestorm and a good noticeable fps boost. Though they got hotter, Heat doesn't seem to be an issue...I question the benefit of water cooling these cards...seems they work just fine on air with max voltage, but I suppose the whistling fans at max load are louder that a water loop + rads.

Sorry if this is already answered, but I am having trouble finding out whether EVGA 780 SC ACX cards work with the third party water blocks.

Sorry if this is already answered, but I am having trouble finding out whether EVGA 780 SC ACX cards work with the third party water blocks.

If the waterblocks are for reference, they should fit.

New build parts arrived so I spent the entire day benchmarking and overclocking my three EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX cards individually. I had already done this once, but decided it was time to try a modded bios. I started by using the Skyn3t V2 ACX Bios, but I was getting a lot of throttling. I decided to try the TI Rev00 bios. No throttling and I was off and running. Here are my comparison results from Stock bios highest overclocks and modded TI bios overclocks. All tests were conducted on a Maximus VI Extreme with a 4770k @ 5.0Ghz, DDR3-2666, and a 4x RAID-0 Samsung 840 Pro 128gb. I used the latest Nvidia beta drivers 326.41. It seems my memory overclocks jumped the most...??I'm not complaining...

My 3 EK waterblocks have arrived and the next step will be to get these cards under water and get back to benching in TRI-SLI using the max clocks of each card...

]Stock vBIOS Results Card 1:

ASIC=71.4
PT=106%
Temp=94
Core Max=1202
Mem Max=3450 (6900)
Volt Max=1.187v
Valley Benchmark Max: 72.8/3044

TI vBios Rev 00 Results Card 1:

ASIC=71.4
PT=100% (340W)
Temp=94
Core Max=1219
Mem Max=3684 (7368)
Volt Max=1.212v
Valley Benchmark Max: 79.0/3306

Stock vBIOS Results Card 2:

ASIC=63.4
PT=106%
Temp=94
Core Max=1176
Mem Max=3450 (6900)
Volt Max=1.200v
Valley Benchmark Max: 73.0/3055

TI vBios Rev 00 Results Card 2:

ASIC=63.4
PT=100% (340W)
Temp=94
Core Max=1195
Mem Max=3684 (7368)
Volt Max=1.212v
Valley Benchmark Max: 76.7/3209

Stock vBIOS Results Card 3:

ASIC=73.2
PT=106%
Temp=94
Core Max=1241
Mem Max=3450 (6900)
Volt Max=1.200v
Valley Benchmark Max: 74.5/3118

TI vBios Rev 00 Results Card 3:

ASIC=73.2
PT=100% (340W)
Temp=94
Core Max=1265
Mem Max=3730 (7460)
Volt Max=1.212v
Valley Benchmark Max: 80.6/3374

Is there a site that catalogues the modded BIOS? I want a BIOS that will go above 1.2v on my reference Gigabyte

I just want my BIOS to give a little more voltage but otherwise act the same way. I tried a custom one but it messed with the fan.

Stock vBIOS Results Card 3:

ASIC=73.2
PT=106%
Temp=94
Core Max=1241
Mem Max=3450 (6900)
Volt Max=1.200v
Valley Benchmark Max: 74.5/3118

TI vBios Rev 00 Results Card 3:

ASIC=73.2
PT=100% (340W)
Temp=94
Core Max=1265
Mem Max=3730 (7460)
Volt Max=1.212v
Valley Benchmark Max: 80.6/3374

Wow, that's a nice clocking card. Did you completely remove the other two cards when doing this, or simply disable them? When I get some free time, I'm planning on doing the same with my 2 780s. I figured I'd put the faster clocking card on top and hope that way I can run them both at the slower cards max. Looks like when I do I should just skip the stock bios and go right to the TI.

This is really making me want to upgrade. My old gtx 480 will barely do 860mhz. Speaking of OC testing, my experience is to run Heaven for a baseline stability test and then run the game you wish to play.

Wow, that's a nice clocking card. Did you completely remove the other two cards when doing this, or simply disable them? When I get some free time, I'm planning on doing the same with my 2 780s. I figured I'd put the faster clocking card on top and hope that way I can run them both at the slower cards max. Looks like when I do I should just skip the stock bios and go right to the TI.

I tested them individually in the motherboard. Good luck with your cards.

-M

A heads up for anyone considering getting a / another 780 GTX, it appears EVGA (And I'm sure other manufactures too) are switching out the VRAM on the newer 780 GTX's from SAMSUNG to crappier (and cheaper in cost) Elpida memory. So don't be surprised if you can't overclock your memory anywhere close to the Samsung ones. I had to deal with this when I had a 7950, all the Hynix folks could get around a 20% higher memory OC verses my Elpida, I would imagine the same will go for this.

Why would you buy an ACX and then take it off to put on a water block??

For $10 + the 25% discount I got, it was no brainer to get the ACX edition. I didn't plan on water cooling them, but now I am tried for their droning whistling sound.

To anyone curious, seems the ACX are reference design with a different cooler... so yea it should fit. I ordered 2 EK water blocks.

BTW, doesn't seem like these cards overclock based on heat limits, but rather they are limited by 1.2v. You really don't need to water cool them honestly...unless you want to get rid of the sound like me.

A heads up for anyone considering getting a / another 780 GTX, it appears EVGA (And I'm sure other manufactures too) are switching out the VRAM on the newer 780 GTX's from SAMSUNG to crappier (and cheaper in cost) Elpida memory. So don't be surprised if you can't overclock your memory anywhere close to the Samsung ones. I had to deal with this when I had a 7950, all the Hynix folks could get around a 20% higher memory OC verses my Elpida, I would imagine the same will go for this.

Meh. From benchmarks i've seen the core makes a bigger difference in performance anyway, someone correct me if this is wrong. But it has seemed to be the case with GK104 and GK110.

I'd assume if this shortage is affecting EVGA -- then it is affecting everyone else, because practically every AIB assembles their cards in China due to lower costs, and then imports them.

Meh. From benchmarks i've seen the core makes a bigger difference in performance anyway, someone correct me if this is wrong. But it has seemed to be the case with GK104 and GK110.

I'd assume if this shortage is affecting EVGA -- then it is affecting everyone else, because practically every AIB assembles their cards in China due to lower costs, and then imports them.

I have found that with GK104 cards, memory is actually very important, could likely be due to the 256 bit bus causing some bandwidth restriction so the increased memory speed seems to help quite a bit. My Gigabyte WF3 670's both would OC over 7200MHz on the memory, one actually did over 7500MHz, but I've noticed on my 780's, the memory speed doesn't seem to have as much of an impact, but it does still help some. I actually ran a quick test last night on GRID 2 at 2560x1600 4xAA at ultra detail level. Increasing core speed by 100MHz made my average fps go up by 2fps, increasing memory speed by 550MHz made my average fps go up by 2fps.Conclusion, there is something to be gained there on GK110 but just not as much as the GK104 because GK110 isn't as bandwidth restricted. For reference, I think my average fps was right around 58-62fps so 2-3fps does matter when you're talking about a number in that range. A 2-3 fps increase on a game that averages 100-200fps wouldn't matter much to me.

While I'm sure some folks appreciate your "heads-up", are you drawing your own conclusion that manufacturers are switching to Elpida because its cheaper? EVGA is stating that the switch is due to the fact that Samsung memory is currently in short supply and to keep up with demand of these cards at the moment, Elpida is the only other qualified source at the moment and doesn't require requalification which means it doesn't cost manufacturers more money and time to requalify, its a simple BIOS update for the memory switch.

While it could be true that the Elpida modules aren't overclocking as well as the Samsung modules, lets not blame every manufacturer for trying to cut corners and save money on cheap memory. Currently there are no 780's which feature memory speed above the reference spec of 6000MHz and every manufacturer only has to guarantee you that when you purchase a 780, you get a card that runs at that speed, OC'ing is not guaranteed nor is it the manufacurer's concern if you can't get another 1000Mhz above the guaranteed reference speed, it never has been.

EVGA did state that if and when supply of Samsung modules are available again, they may re-use them again. Since all manufacturers are making this switch right now, it sure seems like a reasonable explanation other than their just trying to cut corners and use cheap memory to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
For $10 + the 25% discount I got, it was no brainer to get the ACX edition. I didn't plan on water cooling them, but now I am tried for their droning whistling sound.

To anyone curious, seems the ACX are reference design with a different cooler... so yea it should fit. I ordered 2 EK water blocks.

BTW, doesn't seem like these cards overclock based on heat limits, but rather they are limited by 1.2v. You really don't need to water cool them honestly...unless you want to get rid of the sound like me.

That is correct, you would need an EVGA classified card if you wanted to take advantage of watercooling since those are voltage unlocked. GTX OC tool will allow them up to 1.35v and EVBOT will allow them to go to 1.5v.

While I'm sure some folks appreciate your "heads-up", are you drawing your own conclusion that manufacturers are switching to Elpida because its cheaper? EVGA is stating that the switch is due to the fact that Samsung memory is currently in short supply and to keep up with demand of these cards at the moment, Elpida is the only other qualified source at the moment and doesn't require requalification which means it doesn't cost manufacturers more money and time to requalify, its a simple BIOS update for the memory switch.

While it could be true that the Elpida modules aren't overclocking as well as the Samsung modules, lets not blame every manufacturer for trying to cut corners and save money on cheap memory. Currently there are no 780's which feature memory speed above the reference spec of 6000MHz and every manufacturer only has to guarantee you that when you purchase a 780, you get a card that runs at that speed, OC'ing is not guaranteed nor is it the manufacurer's concern if you can't get another 1000Mhz above the guaranteed reference speed, it never has been.

EVGA did state that if and when supply of Samsung modules are available again, they may re-use them again. Since all manufacturers are making this switch right now, it sure seems like a reasonable explanation other than their just trying to cut corners and use cheap memory to save a few bucks.

Seeing as Jacob from EVGA's response came several hours after I posted that I guess it could be easy to conclude why EVGA made the switch............... :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's good to know that they will be bringing it back once supply gets better. As for the overclock lottery, yeah we all know this but in most cases, unless there is a rare instance, you will be getting memory that clocks lower with Elpida. Wouldn't you want to better your chances? If you have a Samsung card and are looking for another to SLI, probably want to wait it out.

Seeing as Jacob from EVGA's response came several hours after I posted that I guess it could be easy to conclude why EVGA made the switch............... :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's good to know that they will be bringing it back once supply gets better. As for the overclock lottery, yeah we all know this but in most cases, unless there is a rare instance, you will be getting memory that clocks lower with Elpida. Wouldn't you want to better your chances? If you have a Samsung card and are looking for another to SLI, probably want to wait it out.

I'm sure we all want golden samples and the best possible overclockers for our money but its still just a lottery and unless you're trying to set a benchmark world record, a few hundred MHz difference on your memory OC is going to amount to anything that is noticeable in actual gameplay so people really are making a big of nothing here. And if you are in the boat of trying to set an overclock world record, you won't have this issue anyway because you'll be given a sponsored card which is already cherry picked for the best possible results and will have the best components available, supply be damned in that case.

I am planning to buy the ASUS DCII GTX 780, use it for a few months and then SLI as second. At that time, I'd like to put both cards under water. Are there any water blocks that will work?

EK usually makes DC2 blocks but they're generally not released for a few months. Best to ask them about this..

Sorry, but can someone post a link to this bios that disables throttling? I'm on the PNY 780 3gb. Thanks in advance.

Also, can you disable throttling without flashing the bios?

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...mp-edition-graphics-card-review-overview.html
Overclocked memory 780. Also AMP cards are usually binned, not sure about the 780 yet. Solution to the lottery.

Back