7800 GTX 512 and A8N32-SLI MB

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Finally got my both of my BFG 7800 GTX 512 today and I'm putting them in an A8N32-SLI motherbaord.

Something that anyone getting this board and using double slot cards with this board might like to know. The SATA1 connector is getting covered up a bit by the blue PCIe x16 slot labeled "PCIEX16_1" on the board.

While its not totally blocking it, a standard SATA cable seems as though it will scrape the edges of the fins on the cooler. So I just ordered some SATA cables with right angle connectors as this should prevent the SATA cable from running into the video card.

Also, you only BARELY have one PCI slot left, the one labeled "PCI_2", and to be honest, it looks as though it not useable. I haven't tried to put a PCI card in it, but it looks as though you will have ZERO distance between a card in that slot and the cooler in the card in slot "PCIEX16_1".

I was thinking about puting a X-Fi sound card in this rig, but I dought I will now. A card right on top of the video card can't be a great thing, but maybe it's ok.

Hopefully some finds this useful. Any questions, please post.

Crap im about to order the exact same setup. Will the x-fi not fit at all? What mobo alternative would you suggest if that is the case?

The DFI Lanparty series will work better if you want that sound card. The PCI slots are better positioned.

The card will fit in the A8N32-SLI, but I probably won't do it. There just simply is no breathing room for the video card. The fan will be blowing right on the back of the sound card.

This might be ok, some SLI setups I've seen have the two video cards on top of each other, I don't think I like it though.

heatlesssun said:
There just simply is no breathing room for the video card. The fan will be blowing right on the back of the sound card.

This might be ok, some SLI setups I've seen have the two video cards on top of each other, I don't think I like it though.
The 7800GTX 512 gets hot enough as it is, having the fan choked would be suicide for your cards.(the side of my case gets noticably warm by my GTX 512 when playing F.E.A.R.)

I live in aus, and the 512mb GTXs arent even friggin out here yet, i placed my order already, now i just have to play the waiting game, dang, why is it so slow here :(

Bad Idea, the Audigy 2 NX does not currently support OpenAL (BF2, FEAR, Q4, etc.) and does EAX in software.

Sata 1 is clear to me Sata 2 on the other hand is blocked ya mean? :)

and the USB headers/firewire headers are kinda blocked..

I allready stated this Before the cards were officially launched, I was worried and thought that i would have to re0install windows but i got lucky anad was able to move over the SATA cables and it fired right up.

Icemat makes a USB Sound card that seems pretty good, let me see if I can find it.

Hey does this mobo allow you to Populate all 4 Memory banks and run it at 1T command rate?

Back