7800GS question

kirk

Gawd
Do you think that it is worth up grading from a 6800 non-ultra with 12 piplines to the 7800GS, as I dont have enough cash to get a new motherboard/ power supply/ vidoe card right now. :confused:

I think you would see a good difference. I personally would save $350 and get the motheboard/pcie 7800gt combo.. thats a killer deal :)

lloose said:
I think you would see a good difference. I personally would save $350 and get the motheboard/pcie 7800gt combo.. thats a killer deal :)

I would like to get that set up but I also need to get a power supply and I wont have enough cash for awhile to get that setup

Actually, what is your current power supply?

My understanding is that the 7800 is better on power than the 6800, so you might be okay if you've got like a decent 400W PSU.

kirk said:
I would like to get that set up but I also need to get a power supply and I wont have enough cash for awhile to get that setup
Save your money and go full hog. You'll thank yourself later, because for not a whole lot more money, you're going to get a larger improvement.

heatlesssun said:
Actually, what is your current power supply?

My understanding is that the 7800 is better on power than the 6800, so you might be okay if you've got like a decent 400W PSU.

I have a 450 antec power supply, but I dont have the $450 or so to get a motherboard and vidoe card. With this combo I think that I am $100 short that is why I was asking if it was worth getting this card

kirk said:
I have a 450 antec power supply, but I dont have the $450 or so to get a motherboard and vidoe card.
You can get an MSI K8N Neo4-F for $70ish and an eVGA 7800GT CO for $315. Not a whole lot more than the 7800GS AGP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130249
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

If you want to skimp a tad on the clock, you can get the non-CO version of the eVGA board for $295. I think ZZF's prices are comparable.

What I was looking at getting is

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail = $168

or

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail = $189

and for the video card

XFX PVT70GUDE7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$29

But the problem is that I only have a 20 pin main power connector for the motherboard and the 4 pin molex connectors to connect to the videocard

And prices are from newegg.com

kirk said:
What I was looking at getting is

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail = $168

or

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail = $189

and for the video card

XFX PVT70GUDE7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$294

But the problem is that I only have a 20 pin main power connector for the motherboard and the 4 pin molex connectors to connect to the videocard
Do you plan on going SLI? Do you plan on overclocking the crap out of the CPU and RAM?Do you have an LCD monitor? If the answers to the first two are no and/or the last is yes, you might want to rethink that motherboard, since it would be massive overkill. If you want a single video card, why pay the added expense of an SLI board? If you're not going to overclock or don't have RAM that can handle the insane-o volts than DFI boards can put out, then you're paying extra for something you won't use. I'd get a DFI if I were going for EXTREME OCing. If you have an LCD, the most common these days are 19 inchers (native res of 1280x1024) and 20-21" (native res of 1600x1200). In either case, you may have more fps on tap than you can ever possibly use using a single card, and SLI would really gain nothing but benchmarks for you.

Besides that, the board and video card that I recommended would work quite nicely with the PSU that you already have if you're not OCing. I tested my brother's 7800GT on my board with my old Antec 480 TrueBlue and it gamed just fine. I just couldn't get a stable OC with it, so I upgraded to the PSU you see below.

It all depends on what your final expected result is and what you're going to do with the machine. Fill us in on that, if you can.

GilmourD said:
Do you plan on going SLI? Do you plan on overclocking the crap out of the CPU and RAM?Do you have an LCD monitor? If the answers to the first two are no and/or the last is yes, you might want to rethink that motherboard, since it would be massive overkill. If you want a single video card, why pay the added expense of an SLI board? If you're not going to overclock or don't have RAM that can handle the insane-o volts than DFI boards can put out, then you're paying extra for something you won't use. I'd get a DFI if I were going for EXTREME OCing. If you have an LCD, the most common these days are 19 inchers (native res of 1280x1024) and 20-21" (native res of 1600x1200). In either case, you may have more fps on tap than you can ever possibly use using a single card, and SLI would really gain nothing but benchmarks for you.

Besides that, the board and video card that I recommended would work quite nicely with the PSU that you already have if you're not OCing. I tested my brother's 7800GT on my board with my old Antec 480 TrueBlue and it gamed just fine. I just couldn't get a stable OC with it, so I upgraded to the PSU you see below.

It all depends on what your final expected result is and what you're going to do with the machine. Fill us in on that, if you can.

yes i like to over clock, and yes I would like to go SLI one day.
I have my 3200 AMD 64 processor running at 2.7 with my 3700 ram running 1:1 ratio
I dont have a LCD, but I like to run my CRT at 1024/768 res

kirk said:
yes i like to over clock, and yes I would like to go SLI one day.
I have my 3200 AMD 64 processor running at 2.7 with my 3700 ram running 1:1 ratio
OK. What kind of monitor do you have? LCD? CRT? Size?

GilmourD said:
Save your money and go full hog. You'll thank yourself later, because for not a whole lot more money, you're going to get a larger improvement.
Quote For Truth, it's so much better doing one big upgrade then small short time upgrades.

Borgschulze said:
Quote For Truth, it's so much better doing one big upgrade then small short time upgrades.

I just wish that I had the extra cash for the better upgrade, I guess I might be able to wait another month or 2 but that might be pushing it :D

OK OK,
You have talked me into waiting untill I can afford the 7800GT and motherboard

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone you have helped me alot :)

kirk said:
OK OK,
You have talked me into waiting untill I can afford the 7800GT and motherboard

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone you have helped me alot :)
If you're only running at 1024x768, what you have now should be pretty nice. How high a res can your monitor go up to? That's where you'll see the benefits of the newer card.

FWIW, I've got a 6600GT PCIe, and the thing smokes in CS:S at 1024x768. I don't think I've dipped below 70fps on my 17" Samsung 753DF CRT with everything set high, no AA or AF.

kirk said:
XFX PVT70GUDE7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $29
whoaa, can u point me to the site that has these for some GT SLI

LOL JK
EDIT saw its changed now dam

kirk said:
Ya but how good is the motherboard, I like to overclock.

And is that board as good as the DFI one that I listed?
The board is alright, but I wouldn't say it's an overclocker's board. I think Chris Morley did a review of it on the [H] front page.

Honestly, I think the only real advantage you have with a DFI board is crazy voltages for memory. Other than that, I think they're overhyped. If you're going to put insane-o active cooling on your RAM and run them at like 3.3V, sure, get the DFI. If not, MSI, Abit, and Asus make boards that are less expensive and would make you happy. Hell, MSI has the K8N SLI-F for $99 at most places. :)

Now I have a question about my power supply, Since I dont have a SLI supported power supply will I beable to run the motherboard using just the 20 pin and the squair 4 pin power connectors?

Does anyone know if newegg.com has the motherboard & video card deal?

kirk said:
Now I have a question about my power supply, Since I dont have a SLI supported power supply will I beable to run the motherboard using just the 20 pin and the squair 4 pin power connectors?

Does anyone know if newegg.com has the motherboard & video card deal?
As long as you're not actually running SLI, you should be fine. When you set it up for SLI is when it's going to want more power, which you won't be giving it. Also, it might affect your overclock, but the system should run stably at stock settings.

GilmourD said:
Uhh... I don't see the motherboard there...

Yes, it is poorly explained, but it is the motherboard/video card combo. Read the customer reviews if you doubt it. Anyhow the reference is what says it all: "eVGA 256-P2-N518" The N518 is the combo.

Albert

Albert Silver said:
Yes, it is poorly explained, but it is the motherboard/video card combo. Read the customer reviews if you doubt it. Anyhow the reference is what says it all: "eVGA 256-P2-N518" The N518 is the combo.

Albert
That's a seperate video card. The way newegg ran the combo deal was to have the motherboard as a separate item with a combo discount of the exact price of the motherboard. People certainly bought that video card and got the motherboard, and that was the video card from the bundle, but that is no longer part of the bundle.

GilmourD said:
That's a seperate video card. The way newegg ran the combo deal was to have the motherboard as a separate item with a combo discount of the exact price of the motherboard. People certainly bought that video card and got the motherboard, and that was the video card from the bundle, but that is no longer part of the bundle.

So they stopped giving the motherboard as of last week? Two reviews are from the last days and mention receiving the motherboard. NewEgg has the same card, same specs, and same bundled CDs for $295 without the motherboard, compared to this one for $66 more. I think it comes with the mobo, hecne the extra $66 cost, and would be willing to bet on it. One can easily ask NewEgg of course.

Albert

Albert Silver said:
So they stopped giving the motherboard as of last week? Two reviews are from the last days and mention receiving the motherboard. NewEgg has the same card, same specs, and same bundled CDs for $295 without the motherboard, compared to this one for $66 more. I think it comes with the mobo, hecne the extra $66 cost, and would be willing to bet on it. One can easily ask NewEgg of course.

Albert
Well, there's absolutely no mention of the motherboard other than reviews.

Here is the motherboard that I decided to get

DFI nF4 SLI Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail= $116

I got this motherboard because of course I want to overclock the hell out of my processor :D
And also I just would not be HARD if I didnt :D

And this is the video card I decided on
XFX PVT70GUDE7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retai

kirk said:
Here is the motherboard that I decided to get

DFI nF4 SLI Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail= $116

I got this motherboard because of course I want to overclock the hell out of my processor :D
And also I just would not be HARD if I didnt :D

And this is the video card I decided on
XFX PVT70GUDE7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retai
Good choice. :) Not too expensive and it'll get you where you want to be.

Dude, 17" crt? Spend the money on a decent monitor before you do anything else or you won't be able to see the added graphics quality anyway...

GilmourD said:
Well, there's absolutely no mention of the motherboard other than reviews.

I agree 100%, and did what I suggested: I called up NewEgg. They confirmed it DOES come with the motherboard, and I made the obvious suggestion that they add this to the item description.

Albert

Albert Silver said:
I agree 100%, and did what I suggested: I called up NewEgg. They confirmed it DOES come with the motherboard, and I made the obvious suggestion that they add this to the item description.

Albert
Interesting... Must be a nice surprise if somebody orders that and gets a free motherboard without it being in the description.

However, for the OP's needs, I think he went the right way. The eVGA board was noted by Chris and Kyle as not being a stellar OCer.

GilmourD said:
Interesting... Must be a nice surprise if somebody orders that and gets a free motherboard without it being in the description.

However, for the OP's needs, I think he went the right way. The eVGA board was noted by Chris and Kyle as not being a stellar OCer.

Well I had to go with the DFI board that I listed, but the XFX was out of stock so I did end up going with the evga video card. I looked at a BFG but I didnt want to pay the extra cash for it

kirk said:
Well I had to go with the DFI board that I listed, but the XFX was out of stock so I did end up going with the evga video card. I looked at a BFG but I didnt want to pay the extra cash for it
Good deal. I'll admit I've become somewhat partial towards eVGA over the last year for their video cards. Which eVGA did you get? They have a few different 7800GTs (some stock, some overclocked with a copper cooler).

GilmourD said:
Good deal. I'll admit I've become somewhat partial towards eVGA over the last year for their video cards. Which eVGA did you get? They have a few different 7800GTs (some stock, some overclocked with a copper cooler).

This is the one from newegg that I got
eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130256 $295.00

I think it is overclocked a little the core is at 445, and the ram is at 1070

I got a question about evga's warranty, does anyone know what they have for warranty for video cards?

kirk said:
I got a question about evga's warranty, does anyone know what they have for warranty for video cards?
http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/default.asp

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=236

The top link applies if you have a product that ends in AX, the bottom if you don't.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N516-AX&family=22

From the looks of what's actually listed as a product on their site, and they classify AX product as retail product (which is what you ordered), you should have the lifetime warranty.

I have a quick question, I just got my stuff but I have a few questions about the way that the power to the motherboard and video card need to be.

I have the 20 pin main connector, the 4 pin squair connector and a 4 pin floppy connector on the motherboard. Do I plug everything in like I would normally do even if it was only a 20 pin connector motherboard? or do I need to move the4 pin from over by the processor to the extra 4 pins by the motherboard connector? the manual does not state any of this.

Back