7800GT's fan no longer slows down after booting

Volucris

Gawd
My 7800gt used to slow its fan down when I had booted into windows. Now it no longer does.
I tried a full reformat, without drivers, it's loud, with drivers it quiets down. Now it it just always loud. Specs in sig, what's going on?

Have you tried re-installing the drivers? My friend's BFG 6800 OC had this problem. I reinstalled and it would throttle down. Have you called your manuf's customer support?

Volucris said:
My 7800gt used to slow its fan down when I had booted into windows. Now it no longer does.
I tried a full reformat, without drivers, it's loud, with drivers it quiets down. Now it it just always loud. Specs in sig, what's going on?

My 7800gt's fan never slowed down, its always on full throttle, I've tried everything to try and slow it sown but nothing works. I dont' think it can be slowed down.

Hmm, that is strange. When I was still running stock fans on mine, during bootup to the OS the fans would slow down (just before the GUI loaded) indicating that the drivers controlled or regulated the speed of the fan. What version of the drivers are you currently running, and, did you see if they are complaining about that version and the fan speed not adjusting when loaded?

*Edit* Nevermind. It looks to be a driver issue that dates back to December?!!
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9741&hl=

Had a look at the RivaTuner forum on guru3d, and there seems to be several people with this problem. The person that develops RivaTuner (Unwinder, i think) has posted some info there saying it's a driver problem.
-E

Back