7800GTX 512 in a Shuttle "G" chasis - SB83G5

dworley

Gawd
SB83G5-2.jpg

Fits after a few minor mods to the G5 rear chasis frame (had to trim a small section from the rear side support for the heatsink to clear. I also swapped a single slot bracket panel from the rear of my 6800GT to fit it in the single slot.

So far it is running great - I can't believe how much lower my temps are with this cooler design - 38C Idle and 58C load! (GPU Core 550 / Memory 1700). The best part is this cooler is dead silent!

Power does not seem to be an issue - from my research the 7800GTX 512 power requirements are close to the 7800GTX 256.

Note: I am using a PC50 300W PSU in this Shuttle

Judging by his hardware I dont think he is too worried about the resale value...and probably not the warranty either.

Looks very nice Dworley...nice clean cut.

Nice Dworley!

Mad props.

Dude, and the warranty on the Shuttle? I mean come on. He has been through 3 in 1 year. I mean its no biggie.

thats sexy. and about the resale value, after adding the trim (i'd also say black) so it looks even nicer and wont cut anything (unless you already sanded it down), i'd say its higher. i mean, its a nice, clean cut, and you *HAVE* to cut a hole in there to fit most after-market gpu coolers. its like buying a pre-modded case, you're paying a premium for that hole cut in the side (read: window).

Warranty and resale value? It's only a $25 stock case cover that I cut which had been sitting on a shelf for 5 months! (I have several). The stock case covers on the "G" models are worthless for high end video cards as they don't flow enough air! Shuttle sells a Black mesh case cover as an accessory (PF16) that I always use instead of the stock covers.

lookin mighty sexy :)

i actually like the chrome better, despite what i said earlier :p

whered u get the lining stuff from? and is the chrome harder to bend into shape, or is it just as malleable?

24" Door edge gaurd from PEP BOYS - $3.99

It's actually all black with a chrome stripe in the center, I had a difficult time with the right angle bends so I cut back an additional 1/2 inch and rounded the corners on the window.

Friggin SEXAY!

Might want to craft some kind of filter for that fan on the 7800, though, or that mofo is going to get dusty as HELL. Maybe one of those round 120mm grills with filter material cut and mounted to it somehow (glue?) with the mounting holes for the 120mm fan cut off.

what are the specs of the rig?
your sig isn't really up to date, or am I just blind?

RIG: Shuttle SB83G5: P4 3.4 EE, EVGA 7800GTX 512, 2GB Corsair XMS, 160GB Samsung SATA, NEC DVDRW, Audigy2 ZS, Dell 2005FPW, Klipsch Promedia 4.1

-updated in sig

Back