7800GTX owners, quick question

rjblanke

Limp Gawd
My eVGA 7800GTX 256 is suddenly starting to crash a lot. I've noticed that the smaller black heatsink towards the end of the card is getting extremely hot. Temp reports in the driver are still reporting reasonable temps on the core. Should I expect that part of the card to get that hot? It's extremely hot to the touch. If not, what do you think this cards lifespan is?

It might be dusty. Dust can block out the vents so the air can't be blown out. Get a can of air and blow out the dust. If that doesnt work RMA it.

One thing I would try is the 80 or 90mm fan trick. You remove the plastic cover on your heatsink and unplug the stock fan. Then you take an 80-92mm fan and zip-tie it over the heatsink. This will give you a signifigant temp drop on the card as well as the mosfets.

If you dont want to do that just take a fan and blow it over the mosfet heatsink. Let your card come up to full temp and see if it crashes this way.

If it still doens I would remove your drivers and use driver cleaner and all the old tricks that eVGA will have you do if you phone tech support, then they might arrange an RMA.

GL!!!

Back