7800GTX worth it

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey yeah would that card be worth buying if u just brought an Sapphire radeon x850xt pe 256mb dual dvi vivo PCI-e videocard like last month?.

I'd kind of doubt it, unless you just absolutely couldn't live without having the fastest thing on the planet. :rolleyes:

Ax

No unless your an enthusiast with deep pockets and i large LCD monitor

yeah like i fill little rip off cause i could of got an faster for the same price X850XT PE cost me $845AUS i know i know its alot but i couldnt find any other cheaper, but dont get me wrong i still like the card i got but no one will use them anymore.

That's God's way of punishing you for being an aussie (and payback for those Crocodile Dundee flicks).

So, no it is not worth it over a 850; just wait a few more months and save more dough to buy the next best thing when it comes out.

Now, what is in vegemite exactly?

:p

the gamer said:
Hey yeah would that card be worth buying if u just brought an Sapphire radeon x850xt pe 256mb dual dvi vivo PCI-e videocard like last month?.

A friend on mine just ditched his X850XT for a 7800GTX. He was so impressed by the visual superiority of the GTX, that he bought another one. I hate him. :p

Unless you want AA and AF turned all the way up at extreme resolutions then no, it's probably not worth the expenditure.

I run 1920x1200 w/8xAF (no AA) and the XTPE is plenty for that in FarCry, HL2, CS:S, and Doom3. I would need a 7800 though were I to require AA at that resolution.

its worth it to some people and not to others...its really up to you.

me, i think its worth having one...or two. :cool:

It was worth it for me since I can now play BF2 at native res with all the eye candy cranked up. My X800XT PE choked at those settings.

If you brought an X850XT/PE where? kekeke

If you want the best performing card ther eis..then YES. Sell your 850 and get on board!

Tenchi4U said:
That's God's way of punishing you for being an aussie (and payback for those Crocodile Dundee flicks).

A,i hate God...so thats why

B,hate to tell a story but here.i may be an aussie but i dont really know bit it is NICE lol one day i was watching Channel V and D12 was there and the host of the show gave them some vegemite sandwhiches and they didnt like them really there is nothing wrong with vegemite.

and i was thinking of buying the card after the X900XT-(R520) or X950XT-(R530) or what ever its called.

For me I think it was worth it. I had an X800 Pro and the 7800GTX is running circles around it. Doubling the pipes always helps ;)

Vegimite taste like axle grease and smells like stale beer. It is an aquired taste. The wife (who is Aussie) says the best way to eat it is on fresh read with a LOT of butter. To each there own.

Tenchi4U said:

So, no it is not worth it over a 850; just wait a few more months and save more dough to buy the next best thing when it comes out.

:p
i like the dundee movies asshole. :p

What is Vegemite?
VEGEMITE.jpg

Vegemite is considered as much a part of Australia's heritage as kangaroos and the Holden cars. It is actually an Australian obsession that has become a unique and loved symbol of the Australian nation.

A Vegemite sandwich to an Australian kid is the equivalent of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to an American kid - but the taste is QUITE different!

Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. It is very dark reddish-brown, almost black, in color, and one of the richest sources known of Vitamin B. It's thick like peanut butter, it's very salty, and it tastes like - well let's just say that it is an acquired taste!

Australian children are brought up on Vegemite from the time they're babies. It is said that Australians are known to travel all over the world with at least one small jar of Vegemite in their luggage, for fear that they will not be able to find it.

The Happy Little Vegemite Song
We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,
We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,
Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,
Because we love our Vegemite,
We all adore our Vegemite,
It puts a rose in every cheek!

How To Eat Vegemite

Using your favorite bread, some butter or margarine, and of course, Vegemite.
  • Spread butter on a piece of toast or bread.
  • Cover very thinly with Vegemite (for the optimum Vegemite sandwich you only need a dab). Dip your knife in the Vegemite, and scrape up just a bit (it will mix right in with the butter and spread easily). Some people like to "marble" the Vegemite into the butter.
  • Eat it open-faced and enjoy!

slamgoku said:
The Happy Little Vegemite Song
We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,
We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,
Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,
Because we love our Vegemite,
We all adore our Vegemite,
It puts a rose in every cheek!

How To Eat Vegemite
Using your favorite bread, some butter or margarine, and of course, Vegemite.
  • Spread butter on a piece of toast or bread.
  • Cover very thinly with Vegemite (for the optimum Vegemite sandwich you only need a dab). Dip your knife in the Vegemite, and scrape up just a bit (it will mix right in with the butter and spread easily). Some people like to "marble" the Vegemite into the butter.
  • Eat it open-faced and enjoy!
Thats pretty much it but can we stop talking about Vegimite this is an videocard forum site not an Vegimite forum site if u really wont to know what it taste like then come to Australia and try it.

GregP24 said:
A friend on mine just ditched his X850XT for a 7800GTX. He was so impressed by the visual superiority of the GTX, that he bought another one. I hate him. :p

your friend suffers from what i call "plecebo syndrom" if you think you see it, you see it, and if you spent XXX more dollars for something your upgrading........ you think youll see something in which you dont ;)
*coughscrewpixleshader10billionandathridcough*

soulsaver_8229

soulsaver_8229 said:
your friend suffers from what i call "plecebo syndrom" if you think you see it, you see it, and if you spent XXX more dollars for something your upgrading........ you think youll see something in which you dont ;)
*coughscrewpixleshader10billionandathridcough*

soulsaver_8229

Too bad that SM 3.0 has signifcant features that SM 2.0 doesn't have. And they are features that actually matter!

But really, gaming at max settings on the 7800GTX makes a lot of my games look a bit better thanks to the SSAA - and the sheer gain in framerate makes it worth it IMO.

I went straight from a Radeon 9800 standard to a 7800GTX - the difference in framerates and quality is amazing for a few days, but it certainly doesn't make games any more fun. I run at 4x FSAA/16x AF on a 1280x1024 LCD, and everything is running 50-75 fps. Anything in RTHDRIBL gets 35-45 fps as well.

lmaro said:
I went straight from a Radeon 9800 standard to a 7800GTX - the difference in framerates and quality is amazing for a few days, but it certainly doesn't make games any more fun. I run at 4x FSAA/16x AF on a 1280x1024 LCD, and everything is running 50-75 fps. Anything in RTHDRIBL gets 35-45 fps as well.

That's exactly what's missing: Fun games. There hasn't been a fun game made for the PC since UT2K4 :(

I doubt very much that you would be able to tell that much of a difference. The only thing the GTX might give you is the ability to crank up the visual settings to the absolute max. Remember monitors, whether they are LCD or CRT are only able to display a fixed number of frames per second, this corelates with the refresh rate of said monitor. I will probably sit this round out. My X800XT PE still does the job just fine.

slamgoku said:
What is Vegemite?
VEGEMITE.jpg

Vegemite is considered as much a part of Australia's heritage as kangaroos and the Holden cars. It is actually an Australian obsession that has become a unique and loved symbol of the Australian nation.

A Vegemite sandwich to an Australian kid is the equivalent of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to an American kid - but the taste is QUITE different!

Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. It is very dark reddish-brown, almost black, in color, and one of the richest sources known of Vitamin B. It's thick like peanut butter, it's very salty, and it tastes like - well let's just say that it is an acquired taste!

Australian children are brought up on Vegemite from the time they're babies. It is said that Australians are known to travel all over the world with at least one small jar of Vegemite in their luggage, for fear that they will not be able to find it.

That's just nasty sounding. Beer paste doesn't sound good at all.

the 7800GTX - correct me if im wrong- was optimised to better handle HDR, so it doesn't take as much of a performance hit as the 6800 series

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzg0LDEz

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX Preview said:
Once we put in the GeForce 7800 GTX however, we were literally blown away. We were able to play this game with Shader Model 3.0 with HDR and Soft Shadows enabled at an astounding 1600x1200 resolution. If that’s not enough, the frame rates were very playable throughout our run-through as they averaged around 45 FPS. We are literally at the highest possible image quality settings with HDR enabled in this game with a GeForce 7800 GTX.

Back