7900 GTO now out for $250 - 7900 GTX in disguise?

Someone needs to get one of these cards and take it apart so we can see the memory.

I'm hearing rumours that these GTO cards are actually leftover first generation GTX cards with the often faulty batches of Samsung memory modules. I'm sure they test them pretty well but you might want to be careful here since if this is true the cards could suddenly start crapping out and artifacting at random.

Still a pretty good deal. :)

I ordered one today and should have it next Tuesday or so, when I get it I'll chime in with benchmarks, etc.

I got an MSI 7900gto the other day for £160. Haven't tried overclocking it but it seems to perform very well at stock speeds.

I have an e6400@3ghz + 2GB RAM.

Benchmarks:

3dmark: (01):40580 (03):23577 (05):10662 (06):6127
Aquamark: 132662

Excellent bang for buck and a nice upgrade from my unlocked/overclocked x800gto.

Edit: gto's use the gtx cooler. My temps are 47 idle and 63 load.

The 7900GT, 7950GT, and 7900GTX are all now essentially obsolete and nvidia has reclaimed the enthusiast price/performance throne. God I love competition... they sacrificed 3 products to compete with that x1900xt 256MB. And that GTX cooler is a major part of the attraction!

Yeah I saw these cards over at eVGA's website the other day, they'd be a good bargain if they don't have crappy memory...*shudders at own 7900 experience*

It's basically the same speed memory as the 7900/7950GTs with much faster core, 512MB RAM, and the awesome GTX cooler for $50 less money and no HDCP. Looks like a clear winner to me, and a worthy competitor for the x1900xt 256MB.

sanvara said:
MWave and ZZF has them for $250-$260. Mine just shipped today from MWave.

They ship out very fast. Nothing bud good things to say about them. About 1 1/2hrs after I placed my order the package has shipped. :)

Damn, so what is faster an ATI X1900XT, or this 7900GTO? I'm looking to replace my 7600GT, so this 250-275 dollar price range is sweet.

From my experience. The X1900XTX delivers smoother performance. Meaning... framerate is more consistent.

However, for 250... the 7900 GTO kicks ass.

As far as mwave is concerned, if you live in So Cali you can will call it.

I ordered online at about 10:00, had it in my grubby paws by 10:30! :D

quicksilverXP said:
From my experience. The X1900XTX delivers smoother performance. Meaning... framerate is more consistent.

However, for 250... the 7900 GTO kicks ass.

You have a GTO already?

Also he was asking about the 1900XT not the 1900XTX. Not sure if that changes your comment.

Isn't the 1900XT only 256mb in the same price range as the 7900 GTO which in 512?

One can predict the kind of performance it will deliver from the core, core speed and memory speed so it's not prematurely stated imho even if he hasn't got the card already.

I think this is an MSI only thing... They might have just bought too many G71 chips and perhaps want to get rid of them before G80 launch. Matching them with relatively cheap memory while keeping the pcb design same (no r&d cost) is a smart thing to do imo.

Sorry, evga isn't available where I live and other major brands don't have them except MSI. I naturally assumed it was an MSI only thing. (like Sapphire's X800 GTO2 or GTO Fireblade)

You know what sucks?

Having a 7950GX2 and Dual Acer 24" LCD's and being too damn lazy to switch it over from Dual Display to Dual GPU.

Basically, just using the card as a single GPU.

BF2 still plays rather nicely.

So is this card faster than the 7950GT? It should be if you look at the specs (650 core/660 RAM vs. 550 core/700 RAM). This makes me wonder why its cheaper than the 7950GT.

Anyone?

schizo said:
The 7900GT, 7950GT, and 7900GTX are all now essentially obsolete and nvidia has reclaimed the enthusiast price/performance throne. God I love competition... they sacrificed 3 products to compete with that x1900xt 256MB. And that GTX cooler is a major part of the attraction!
i want to punch someone in the face when they say "oh, its obsolete." please, give me a break.

uniwarp said:
I think this is an MSI only thing... They might have just bought too many G71 chips and perhaps want to get rid of them before G80 launch. Matching them with relatively cheap memory while keeping the pcb design same (no r&d cost) is a smart thing to do imo.

Thank goodness it ISN'T an MSI only thing. Buy an MSI card and they might accuse you of stealing it. :D

Hmm, seems interesting. Now should I trade my X1800XT for one of those GTOs so I can take advantage of my SLI board...........

they use 1.4 ram right? it's cheaper I guess that's the price difference? THe 7950gt has faster ram?

Tech Report had an interesting news article on this, which I assume is old news for you. Basically it introduces the 7900GTO as (theoretically) quite a deal, and it links to a interesting review of the GTO on a French site. Here is the original French version and here is the translated version. My French is not even half as good as as Google's, but the conclusion says that the 7900GTO is a champion, landing right in between the 7950GT and the 7900GTX, at a cheaper price than the 7950GT.

I am about to order either the 7950GT OR the 7900GTO this weekend, and I'd really like some advice. I watercool everything in my system (except HDDs), and so I intend to do with my next vidcard, using the DangerDen Koosah cover-all waterblock. Obviously, I also overclock everything, so OC potential is important for me.

Now while at stock the 7900GTO beats the 7950GT (due to its faster core), and like spaceman stated above, the 7950GT has better memory (at least it's capable of higher speeds, and is more expensive), and therefore, if the core OCs to sufficient speeds, should be able to beat the 7900GTO by a nice margin. [H]'s review of the XFX GeForce 7950 GT 570M Extreme shows that it is definately a decent overclocker. I am thinking that with my WC setup, I might be able to take this card's core beyond 650Mhz (7900GTO speed), and thereby, with the faster memory, step on the GTO.

Bottom line (for me) is, with proper cooling, what card performs best at overclocked speeds? I would love someone with a GTO to provide some input here!!

edit: minor spelling errors

CC_Pirate said:
Tech Report had an interesting news article on this, which I assume is old news for you. Basically it introduces the 7900GTO as (theoretically) quite a deal, and it links to a interesting review of the GTO on a French site. Here is the original French version and here is the translated version. My French is not even half as good as as Google's, but the conclusion says that the 7900GTO is a champion, landing right in between the 7950GT and the 7900GTX, at a cheaper price than the 7950GT.

I am about to order either the 7950GT OR the 7900GTO this weekend, and I'd really like some advice. I watercool everything in my system (except HDDs), and so I intend to do with my next vidcard, using the DangerDen Koosah cover-all waterblock. Obviously, I also overclock everything, so OC potential is important for me.

Now while at stock the 7900GTO beats the 7950GT (due to its faster core), and like spaceman stated above, the 7950GT has better memory (at least it's capable of higher speeds, and is more expensive), and therefore, if the core OCs to sufficient speeds, should be able to beat the 7900GTO by a nice margin. [H]'s review of the XFX GeForce 7950 GT 570M Extreme shows that it is definately a decent overclocker. I am thinking that with my WC setup, I might be able to take this card's core beyond 650Mhz (7900GTO speed), and thereby, with the faster memory, step on the GTO.

Bottom line (for me) is, with proper cooling, what card performs best at overclocked speeds? I would love someone with a GTO to provide some input here!!

While I don't have my GTO yet (ordered one today after I saw the TR article and the benches), I'd say you'd be better off with a GTO by far. Reason being is that it's already got a higher core by default. The big bonus, however, is that, according to EVGA's official PDF, it's using 1.2ns RAM, whereas the 7950 is using 1.4ns RAM. If hitting high clocks is what you're going for, I'd say jump on the GTO for sure. At the very least, you won't have to worry about the core and you're almost guaranteed to hit 1600MHz on the memory. 7900 GTX @ $250? Yeah, deal of a lifetime is an understatement :)

http://evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N635.pdf
http://evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N573.pdf

CC_Pirate said:

GTO... two of them perferably:D

I don't beleive the shitter memory line until someone reveals the IC's.. More probably you are getting a underclocked - full GTX in GTO. GTX's arnt really priced to move and I bet they had lots of overstock...so they are blowing them out under the GTO moniker. Same board and HSF as GTX aslo makes me think so.

Another advatage is no volt mods as it will run at full 1.4 already and GT runs at 1.2 making hard to clock decent w/o vmodding..you may not care because it's an easy mod but still.

MC FLMJIG said:
Anyone? How loud is stock fan? How loud is the stock fan from GTX?

It's one of the best (if not the best) stock cooler. It's extremely silent under load. You barely notice it. And it keeps the card's temperatures very low, even under load.

CC_Pirate said:
So is this card faster than the 7950GT? It should be if you look at the specs (650 core/660 RAM vs. 550 core/700 RAM). This makes me wonder why its cheaper than the 7950GT.

Anyone?

As someone already said, 7950 GT has faster memory, plus they are HDCP ready. The 7900 GTO should be a full blown 7900 GTX, with slower memory and it's not HDCP ready, hence why it's cheaper.

Silus said:
It's one of the best (if not the best) stock cooler. It's extremely silent under load. You barely notice it. And it keeps the card's temperatures very low, even under load.

Was reading around. Thanks as well.

Seems like hot air is pushed BACK INTO CASE though. Whatever, seems like a great deal.

Back