7900 GTX or X1900 XT?

rjblanke said:
1900XT for sure. Just got mine Open Box from Newegg for 359 last week. Just keep an eye on it, they go fast at that price. I used to use a 7800GTX, and the image quality of the XT is much better. I had my doubts about how noticable HQ AF would be in game, but its definitely worth it.

Once you've seen it first hand hard to go back, even if means enduring a little choppiness now and then.

rjblanke said:
1900XT for sure. Just got mine Open Box from Newegg for 359 last week. Just keep an eye on it, they go fast at that price. I used to use a 7800GTX, and the image quality of the XT is much better. I had my doubts about how noticable HQ AF would be in game, but its definitely worth it.

The only advantage for X1900XT is the HDR+AA support. I am pretty happy with the image quality from the Geforce 7900 GTX Extreme SLI. I don't really notice much difference if any when playing games. Yes, if I sit and compare screenshots in games, then I may come up with some differences but sadly I am playing games rather than wasting time comparing screenshots.

I play all my games at 1920x 1200 with max quality settings.

Manoj said:
The only advantage for X1900XT is the HDR+AA support.

Wrong... did you not even read his post? HQ AAF is a must to most people who have used it. He said that much in his post...

There is no doubt, ATI needs to rework the cooler - temps aside the X1900XTX is the card of choice. Water cooled with a single 120mm rad and a CPU in the loop with a Maze 4 I never break 40 load with my XTX at 690/800.

dnottis said:
There is no doubt, ATI needs to rework the cooler - temps aside the X1900XTX is the card of choice. Water cooled with a single 120mm rad and a CPU in the loop with a Maze 4 I never break 40 load with my XTX at 690/800.

Yes, but the extra cooler and water cooling is not free. It costs extra right?

Normally I use 2 display cards and I prefer SLI over Crossfire at the moment.

I am sure Crossfire has potential but at the moment I hate the external doggle and the cards run hot. For stock cooler it runs very hot. Sure a third party cooler or water cooling is recommended which will cost about $50 to $100 more.

troisanh said:
As owner of both cards, prefer x1900xt for the eye candy. :D

I used to say the same thing when I sold my Geforce 7800 GTX 512 SLI for X1900XT Crossfire but after getting annoyed by the heat and the fan speed being too loud at full load and the external doggle, I give the X1900XT Crossfire for the Geforce 7900 GTX Extreme SLI.

Now I have the Geforce 7950 GX2 XXX Edition on order. Should have it tomorrow.

Manoj said:
I used to say the same thing when I sold my Geforce 7800 GTX 512 SLI for X1900XT Crossfire but after getting annoyed by the heat and the fan speed being too loud at full load and the external doggle, I give the X1900XT Crossfire for the Geforce 7900 GTX Extreme SLI.

Now I have the Geforce 7950 GX2 XXX Edition on order. Should have it tomorrow.

LMAO... sorry dude... hope it works for more then a week... ;)

7900 series is a BIG NO!

About 50% of the cards are defective. I own one.. go x1900XT or XTX.. far more advanced VPU, more features, cheaper and will last for more then a week..:p

XTX and a Crossfire 1900

I got the XTX now and I'm already clamoring for my crossfire to come in the mail.
Yeah the 1900 by itself is a beast and can take about ANYTHING you can throw at it.

I would go for the 1900XT. They have a sapphire 1900XT @ newegg for 389 right now.

I would, (and did,) go for the 1900XT. It's only $420ish for a card that can compete pretty well with the 7900GTX. It has a few extra features, it's cheaper, and I haven't run into a single problem yet with it. The reason I'd take the XT over the XTX is that the only difference is a smallish clock bump. Everything else is the same, and it will save you plenty of money. My XT runs Oblivion with HDR+AA with the 2048 texture mod in 16x12 beautifully.

ironforge said:
I would go for the 1900XT. They have a sapphire 1900XT @ newegg for 389 right now.

Wow, I just paid $430 about a month ago. Nice price!

I'm a fan of NVidia and would recommend the 7900. They don't run as hot and cost less. Not to mention ATI burned customers in the past and had production issues with their new cards, which gives me a not-so-pleasant feeling about them.

ElMoIsEviL said:
LMAO... sorry dude... hope it works for more then a week... ;)

7900 series is a BIG NO!

About 50% of the cards are defective. I own one.. go x1900XT or XTX.. far more advanced VPU, more features, cheaper and will last for more then a week..:p

I am not sure how many guys had problems with geforce 7900 gTX. I had 2Geforce 7900 gTX Extreme clocked to 720mhz core and 1.83Ghz mem without any problems. I also had a standard geforce 7900 gTX clocked to 695mhz core and 1.8Ghz mem without any problems.

May be shipping the cards from China to USA damaged some of the cards. Being in Hong Kong has some advantages. I can get the cards a couple of days before launch.

May guys who used the Geforce 7900 GTX and had problems went to their second choice, X1900XT. Had the Geforce 7900 GTX not had any problems, they would be using it till today.

Anyway, Geforce 7900 GTX is old news now. Geforce 7950GX2 will be out in a couple of days.

In Hong Kong X1900XTX is selling for $540 and Geforce 7950GX2 will be selling for $580 to $600.

I went with a 7900GTX and I'm loving it. AA isn't even noticeable at 1920x1440 so I don't really care that the card can't do AA+HDR.

I cannot believe people are still arguing about this. I thought its already been decided that the XT or XTX is slightly faster, slightly cheaper and provides slightly better image quality, while running hoter and requiring more power. Give it a rest folks. Both cards are excellent.

Scotch77 said:
Just get like a 9600 or a 9800 max, it can play any game max and is probrolly the best bang for the buck right now. I can play HL2 and Fear full force on my system with no problems.
roflmfao

Edit: These Nvidia v. ATI threads are a joke IMO

Now that you can get the HIS, getting a GTX makes almost no sense whatsoever. ATi has comparable performance with better IQ and features. Unless you have a specific set of circumstances or happen to be an Nvidiot, go ATi.

Manoj said:
I am not sure how many guys had problems with geforce 7900 gTX. I had 2Geforce 7900 gTX Extreme clocked to 720mhz core and 1.83Ghz mem without any problems. I also had a standard geforce 7900 gTX clocked to 695mhz core and 1.8Ghz mem without any problems.

May be shipping the cards from China to USA damaged some of the cards. Being in Hong Kong has some advantages. I can get the cards a couple of days before launch.

May guys who used the Geforce 7900 GTX and had problems went to their second choice, X1900XT. Had the Geforce 7900 GTX not had any problems, they would be using it till today.

Anyway, Geforce 7900 GTX is old news now. Geforce 7950GX2 will be out in a couple of days.

In Hong Kong X1900XTX is selling for $540 and Geforce 7950GX2 will be selling for $580 to $600.

My 3rd card just took a dump and I have a 4th on the way and I have no doubt it will fail so I will be doing an rma on this one Monday. I will be in consultations with my attorney on Monday and if I do not get satisfaction by mid Month , I will consider legal action. I have had it.
:mad:

jacuzz1 said:
My 3rd card just took a dump and I have a 4th on the way and I have no doubt it will fail so I will be doing an rma on this one Monday. I will be in consultations with my attorney on Monday and if I do not get satisfaction by mid Month , I will consider legal action. I have had it.
:mad:

damn so it's really as bad as i hear?

I picked the best of both worlds: A $250 7900GT, a $25 cooler, a $10 conductive pen, and $4 masking tape, and have a 7900gt @ 720/1920 :)

How do you plan to add HDR+AA and HQ AF? The best of both worlds, would have them...

Back