7900 GTX works at 650 MHz (merged)

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29795

NVIDIA'S flagship G71 won't be able to get to the speeds the firm wanted it to. We reported before that Nvidia needs at least 700MHz to beat ATI's R580 based X1900 XTX. However, according to our sources, the G71 will be nothing more than a 90 nanometre G70 die shrink. It won't have more than 24 pipelines but you never know what Nvidia has exactly up its sleeves.

It will use GDDR 3 memory running at 800MHz, with a 1600 MHz memory clock. In the case it ends up with 24 pipes it won't be enough to touch the R580, Radeon X1900 XTX performance crown. If Nvidia did put 32 pipes in G71 chip this would make its chip as a much better competitor and will make ATI run hard for its crown. We think that Nvidia could win most of the benchmarks with 32 pipes.

Nvidia plans to price its Geforce 7900 GTX very aggressively. That’s what you do if you cannot beat your competitor on the performance side. This card should cost $499 only and even the price indicates that the card won't be able to get the performance crown back. Last time Nvidia had a great card that managed to win all the benchmarks it priced its card at a saucy $650 and sold every single piece.

The cards should be sampled by the end of the month or at CeBIT. Nvidia will invite its loyal press, to Satan Clara to show them its new part. There will also be lower clocked G70 90 nanometre parts branded as Geforce 7800 GT and priced even less. Nvidia also plans to attack X1600 generation with its new 7600 GT, GS cards all scheduled for Cebit launch.

Remember, if G71 has 24 pipelines so does Sony Playstation 3. We will still sniff about it as some things are still unclear and G71 is more important to Nvidia that you can imagine. As long as it can ship millions of these chips at 550 MHz, a speed desired by Sony, Nvidia is fine.

:( atleast the price for the 7800s will drop like its hot

The xbox 360 is 16/48 and has combined vertex and pixel shader ala Pixel shader 4/DX10.

It's a shame sony is not competing like this..not very next generation but I guess it will be easy for devs to develope on? The ps3 might get all the PC ports.

I call B.S. I think the 7900 will be on par, or one up the x1900. Nvidia's goal in releasing this card is to one up ati for the top notch spot, they wouldn't bother releasing it if it wasn't capable of doing just that.

Interesting, we'll see what happens. shortly. I wasnt planning on buying a XTX or a G71 anyway.

dagon11985 said:
I call B.S. I think the 7900 will be on par, or one up the x1900. Nvidia's goal in releasing this card is to one up ati for the top notch spot, they wouldn't bother releasing it if it wasn't capable of doing just that.

Damn skippy!

dagon11985 said:

Unless they didn't know what the X1900XT was going to do on new games? Remember Nvidias marketing has been about future proof yet current cards can't do HDR+AA and such which will be important over the next few years.

I will be disappointed with Nvidia if they don't do more than simply shrink the die.

If its just a die shrink and its at 650Mhz, that means we'll probably see cards hitting 700Mhz overclocked and some manufacturers might release cards at 675, 690, etc... They should get more chips per wafer, and not be so hard to come by like the 512Mb's now.

So basically instead of paying $700++ for the 7800GTX 512Mb, there should be plenty of 7900's and much cheaper.

I won't be disappointed in a new faster card, that should replace the standard 7800GTX's price point at around $450.

Well, the Inq aside, they may be right. But, other sources have pointed at the same clocks and 32 pipes. So, the GTX variant is rumored at 32 pipes, a 650 MHz core, and 512 MB of 1.1 ns GDDR3 at 1600 Mhz. They also indicate the GT will come in at 24 pipes, a 450 MHz core and 256 MB of 1.4 ns GDDR3 at 1320 Mhz. So, even the GT will surpass the current gen 7800 GTX cards.

How is there such a huge suggested clock/pipe difference between the future 7900 GTX and GT? 200 mhz is insane, the pipecount less so. Either they're handpicking cores for the GTX or the GT will overclock insanely well. Or, option three is that information was randomly created to get readers. Of course, in the last 2 iterations of their cards Nvidia has been increasing the gap between the best and the card behind it, ever since 6800 GT's could easily match the Ultras with decent cooling.

i dont think nvidia would allow their new gen of cards to run slower than ati's new card...

Mayhs said:
i dont think nvidia would allow their new gen of cards to run slower than ati's new card...

It's Happened before, back in the 9700 days.

Urraca said:
It's Happened before, back in the 9700 days.

Yes, but for every other generation nVidia has led them in speed, except the 6800 generation, where the 6800s led in OpenGL, Linux speed, and feature set.

I don't think ATI will enjoy the clear advantage they had in 9700 vs 5800 days anytime soon.

Even a what would basically be a 650MHz 512MB GTX would win many benchmarks over a X1900XTX. And a 32 pipe card? My hunch is that might win ALL benches.

When you consider the multi card angle, and how many people have SLi motherboards compared to Crossfire motherboards, a lot of people might opt for 5fps at FEAR and no HDR+AA.

Time will tell.

Ok so if those speeds hold true how much faster is it gonna be versus my SLI 7800 GTX 512 cards running at 618/1.82?

Mayhs said:

its not like they can just choose the results

They don't own their own fab. They have a limited timeframe to intro new products

Rollo said:
Yes, but for every other generation nVidia has led them in speed, except the 6800 generation, where the 6800s led in OpenGL, Linux speed, and feature set.

I don't think ATI will enjoy the clear advantage they had in 9700 vs 5800 days anytime soon.

Even a what would basically be a 650MHz 512MB GTX would win many benchmarks over a X1900XTX. And a 32 pipe card? My hunch is that might win ALL benches.

When you consider the multi card angle, and how many people have SLi motherboards compared to Crossfire motherboards, a lot of people might opt for 5fps at FEAR and no HDR+AA.

Time will tell.

Heyy I've seen you on the anandtech forums. So.... How much do you get?? You seem overly knowledgable too. Might want to tune it down a bit.

I am not sure why people are worried about the clock speeds being slower than the ATI cards... Comparing nVidia clock speeds vs ATI clock speeds doesn't mean squat considering they are two different architectures....

Marcdaddy said:
Ok so if those speeds hold true how much faster is it gonna be versus my SLI 7800 GTX 512 cards running at 618/1.82?

My guess would be that the 7900's will be significantly faster... especially once people get to OC'ing them... With the 90nm core, 650+ clock speeds and probably about the same mem speeds...

pwnererr said:
Heyy I've seen you on the anandtech forums. So.... How much do you get?? You seem overly knowledgable too. Might want to tune it down a bit.

WTF does it matter who or where he works for?!?! I see so many people bashing rollo for having extensive knowledge about certain products? It seems to me that the account above was made specifically for bashing nV fans... looking back at all 16 posts, most are promoting ATi and slamming others with comments similar to the one quoted above. That account reeks of a few members of [H] that are openly ATi fans.

Who cares if Rollo is associated with nVidia? Just goes to show that he is probably 100 times more knowledgable about the video card industry than any schmo on here that reads tips from the inq. If rollo is going to point out faults, I would tend to believe those points a little more than a few high poster's.

Mayhs said:

In a lot of cases it won't be slower, altough R580 will most likely keep the crown in new shader-heavy games a la FEAR. (if 24pipes@650 is true)
Nevertheless, i hug my X1900XTX because of it's FP HDR+AA ability. :cool: No matter how fast G71 is, it can't do that.

Yeah, it be disappoining to release a G71 with no real performance boost. Of course, the 90mn parts will be cheaper to make, so that is a motivation. And they need parts for PS3 too.

But I am hoping that the part has 32 pipes. But if all it is is a minor speed bump, at least compared to a 512 GTX and no extra pipes or real performance boost, I'll definately pass on this generation and wait for DX10 parts.

Apple740 said:
In a lot of cases it won't be slower, altough R580 will most likely keep the crown in new shader-heavy games a la FEAR. (if 24pipes@650 is true)
Nevertheless, i hug my X1900XTX because of it's FP HDR+AA ability. :cool: No matter how fast G71 is, it can't do that.

That depends on the game. HL2 works on nVidia and ATI because of how they implemented HDR.

Really though, as much as we love or GPU's, this generation is at an end, and to be honest, if what you've got now works for you be it nVidia or ATI, just keep it until DX10. If the INQ piece is true, it doesn't look like we in for any big time performance increases until then. If G71 is as lackluster as INQ make is out to be, ATI probably isn't going to introduce anything significantly more powerful as hey have the performace crown now anyway.

needmorecarnitine said:
its not like they can just choose the results

They don't own their own fab. They have a limited timeframe to intro new products

you know what i mean...

i know they cant choose their performance

That depends on the game. HL2 works on nVidia and ATI because of how they implemented HDR.

I was talking about "true" FP blending HDR, which is used in Farcry, SS2, SCCT, 3DMark06. This list will grow and grow; Oblivion, Alan Wake, UE3.

It's Fuad and theinq. Take the "rumor" with a bag of salt.

dagon11985 said:

Um... What?

If you had spent MILLIONS developing something, wouldn't you realease it no matter what in order to recoup as much as possible? Hell with the right pricing, it'll still be profitable.

Hell, this is the company that sold FX5800s... Albeit not many...

-dB

I dont know why you would be SAD from this news
specially if your an Nvidia Fan

at 24pipelines @ 650Mhz is no joke the 512M GTX already preforms very well and shouldnt be a slouch at 650mhz not to mention less power heat and noise!

only dissapointment really is no HDR + AA

This is just what I expected. The only way this will sell is if the price is right, and $500 MSRP should do it. Prices should drop to the low 400s, and if it is close is performance to the x1900xt, It should sell very well. I wonder how far it will overclock.

pwnererr said:

Nice trolling, bye bye.

dagon11985 said:

What their goal is and what they can achieve are two different things. Not releasing any chip would be disastorous as there would be many users jumping ship from SLI to go to Crossfire. While releasing a chip thats pretty close Nvidia can keep most of them onboard. Lets face it, no one likes installing a new motherboard.

if it doesn't have extra pipes, it'll be 15MHz core increase over what I'm running now, sweet,

oh wait

lol dumbass dissing rollo!

rollo is a prized commodity around here be nice.

I sure look forward to see what the 7900 can do in Sli. More interested in dx10 title getting here already but if wishes were $$$ we'd all be fat right?

The way I look at it guys if the inquirer is right that doesn't mean nvidia will lose. The R580 is neck and neck next to the GTX 512mb. Slightly edging it out in a few games. Add 100Mhz or more to the core, cool it down better and you have a product that can still easily compete if not beat the X1900xtx. If it doesn't have 32 pipelines, it can still keep up. I think, we know it will not annihilate the X1900XTX but it should beat it still. I also think the 7900GTX will be an amazing overclocker hitting over 750mhz possibly even close to 800mhz core on air.

I think we should just wait and see what happens. 17 days left. :D

spaceman said:
lol dumbass dissing rollo!

rollo is a prized commodity around here be nice.

I sure look forward to see what the 7900 can do in Sli. More interested in dx10 title getting here already but if wishes were $$$ we'd all be fat right?

:D I am also waiting for dx10 - and hope it is not too long a wait.

I don't see DX10 being included with the 7900 series. Thats for the G80 cards. This is just a refresh.

Either way, I'll be buying one no matter what! :)

dR.Jester said:
I don't see DX10 being included with the 7900 series. Thats for the G80 cards. This is just a refresh.

Either way, I'll be buying one no matter what! :)

I'll take 2 :D

Back